Care After Dental

Guest dee

Micah is having his teeth cleaned today. I was told that he would be sent home with an antibiotic and pain meds. What were your dogs like after their dentals?

A wee bit lethargic for the rest of the evening but that was all. Completely back to normal the next morning. But she also didn't have any extractions, that is where I think the difference would be.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Thanks, I'm hoping it will only be a cleaning w/o extractions. Poor Micah, the no breakfast part of this just blew his mind! He didn't want to get in the car and he dragged everything soft he could find into the dining room. Guess he doesn't like his schedule changed! I'll feel a lot better when this is over.

Juju had a dental yesterday. No extractions this time. She didn't get any pain meds or antibiotics. She was a little glassy eyed last night but was her usual self today :) I get to go from brushing 1x/day to 2x/day though....joy

siggy2.jpg

Spencer was positively springy after his last dental, at age 10, despite two extractions. I think it was because they babysat him until it was time to start, and then they started hydrating him even before commencing as well as throughout.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

If they dont have to extract any teeth, pain meds and antibiotics shouldnt be necessary. Sending good thoughts your way.

Antibotics are usually required post dental prophys. When the teeth are cleaned the bacteria is blasted from the teeth flooding the body with bacteria. Wonder if the vet used a long lasting injectable antibotic -- Convenia-- rather than dispense orals?? Pain meds shouldn't be neccesary unless thers extractions or the gums were lasered etc..

Around here, they typically start the dog or cat on antibiotics a few days BEFORE the dental and continuing for a week or so after. Your hound does not need pain mess if there are no extractions.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck