Raw Meaty Bones

I picked up some raw meaty (beef)bones for my greys this weekend as well as some heart and gizzard and a few turkey necks - also picked up some dried chicken and duck feet for treats. I was surprised that none of these things were very expensive, and it seems like fancy canned food sometimes costs more.

My plan is to keep them on their regular diet, only reduce the amount I feed, and supplement with raw to see how it goes. I am not sure if we will switch entirely to raw, but I would like to see how they like it and what the cost will be.

The chicken and duck feet went over fabulously - both of my hounds absolutely loved them.

My boy, Elliott loved his bone and layed down on the grass in the back yard and started eating it right away, then he went into a bushy area of our yard, hid it and went back to finish about 15 minutes later and completely scoured it clean. It kept him happy and busy for over an hour. I loved watching him enjoy it so much.

My girl, Lea, licked at hers a bit and seemed not know what she was supposed to do with it. I offered it again, later and she did the same thing. I gave her the smaller of the two bones in terms of diameter and it doesn't seem too big for her to chomp. She is a retired racer and brood mama, so I know she ate raw at some point ... In a prior thread where a grey would not eat chicken, someone suggested rubbing liver treats on the chicken, so I may try to coat the bone with some of the wet food she likes on her kibble and see what happens.

I guess I have two questions - is it ok to just supplement with raw, and any thoughts on getting my girl to dig in?

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

I'd goop it up with peanut butter. She'll have to do some work to get it, so maybe she'll get the idea.

Sounds icky to me, but would probably taste delcious to her, since she likes peanut butter.

Theresa (Tess)

Beef bones are not considered raw meaty bones like turkey necks & chicken parts are. They are too hard & are used for recreation. My hounds never liked recreational bones but love RMB's. AFAIK, racers aren't given RMB's, only ground meat so all of this may be completely new to your girl. (She isn't having any dental issues, right?) If it's a turkey neck she wouldn't eat, was it at room temp? You could also try searing it (just for a couple of seconds) to get her attention smell-wise. Patience & confidence are usually your best bet - once she gets it, watch out! :chow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Beef bones are not considered raw meaty bones like turkey necks & chicken parts are. They are too hard & are used for recreation. My hounds never liked recreational bones but love RMB's. AFAIK, racers aren't given RMB's, only ground meat so all of this may be completely new to your girl. (She isn't having any dental issues, right?) If it's a turkey neck she wouldn't eat, was it at room temp? You could also try searing it (just for a couple of seconds) to get her attention smell-wise. Patience & confidence are usually your best bet - once she gets it, watch out! :chow

Thanks for your response!

Haven't given them the turkey necks yet, but they are defrosting in the fridge for tomorrow :-)

Lea has a great set of choppers - no dental problems I know of. Can't wait to see if she likes the turkey neck.

Sorry I am a big noob at this, but do you cut the claws off of the feet before you give it to them?

They had the claws clipped off already and had been dehydrated jerky-style - they seemed pretty crunchy.

Theresa (Tess)