How Often Do They Die At Home?

Guest happygrey

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I will probably try to have someone come here if Rigby has to be put down. I know, for one, I won't be able to drive, and I don't have a support system or any friends here.

Guest Heehoo

Racer died on the couch in my arms, Pegasus died on the floor of the bedroom in my arms, BuyCut died in the back yard while I was on the phone w/Dr Blackburn, Pipi-Francine died on the bedroom floor surrounded by all of us. I have never lost one while I was at work, but that's one of my biggest fears. Out of 14 greyhounds, that's pretty good.

Guest FullMetalFrank

I now know the phone/address of the crematorium so if we were to lose one at home, I could bring them in directly and bypass the vet. I have not lost anybody at home. I think that Chelsa was close; she took such a rapid downturn and thankfully we were able to move her scheduled vet appointment up from a couple of days out to first thing in the AM, when she let us know there was no more fight in her. Frank we rushed in to the e-vet at midnight; same with my poor Iberia when we lost him. I think that if I had a hound whose time was near, I'd find it a blessing to have them peacefully pass on their own, at home; but second best would be an in-home euthanasia. I don't think either of our vets perform this service, unfortunately.

I lost my mixed breed dog at home - and it was anything but "peaceful". It haunted me for many years. We didn't have time to get her to the vet by the time she started dying (and I'm not sure I wanted to try to get 80lbs of her into the car in the state she was in) so we just had to let it play out at home. All the remaining dogs we have lost were at the vet, and was a far less traumatic experience for everyone involved.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest betheab199

I have never had a pup pass at home. I think when you bring them for euthanasia you are somewhat prepared for saying goodbye, as much as you can be.

I did just find out that one of out vets provides in home hospice care. 12 year old Carol is not doing so well. She never minded the vet much, but now it is traumatic for her so I would definitely consider it when that time comes.

My hounds died at home BUT the vet came here and had to put them to sleep. My Greys died on my bed.

My other hounds died at home too...the vet came to our house each time...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

I've only had one dog pass. He was taken to the vet for euthanasia. He had an aggressive cancer, and when the day came and it was time - we took him to the vet to have a little shot to end it. I would not extend his life to suffer at home.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

My very first cat, Razzy, died at home just weeks shy of his 18th birthday! We think he was deaf (he used to meow this weird, loud meow) and he had lost a lot of weight. I went to leave for work and found him downstairs (not where he would usually be).

When Hailey had osteo, our vet offered to do a house call. Unfortunatley, the day we had to let her go, the vet was at the clinic all day. I didn't want to wait for her to come over. I'll never forget her last car ride to the vet.

We also lost or kitten, Lightening, suddenly. He had neurological problems and we think he had a stroke. We found him when we came home but he wasn't gone yet. It was awful. My husband rushed him to the vet and she helped him on his way.