Indolent Ulcer

Guest ronansmom

Guest ronansmom

Ronan has been diagnosed with an indolent (eye) ulcer. The vet said it is pretty rare in greyhounds. Has anyone encountered this problem?

I had to go look up that term, also known as a corneal ulcer or corneal erosion. I have had it myself, but that's no help to you. I don't see where breed would have a whole lot to do with it, though my reading suggests that Boxers may have a genetic predisposition to primary corneal defect. But the ulceration arises from an injury of some sort (mine was from a mascara wand), so it could happen to anybody. Someone on GT has had a greyhound with this condition, IIRC, so I hope they see this thread.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Did the vet say whether this could have been an old injury? If so,I wonder if it might have occured during his racing career - maybe sand from the track lodging in the eye, or inadvertantly rubbed in?

Theresa (Tess)

Mom to Elliott (Sol Flasher) and Lea (PTL Lea)

Our Lab had one a long time ago. We took her to an animal Opthamologist and she numbed her eye and "scraped" the ulcer off. She was a very stoic gal so we just held her and it took seconds. She was on Rimadyl for a few days and maybe an antibiotic if I remember correctly. I didn't look so it didn't seem very invasive. It was probably 10 years ago. Keep us posted....

Just went through this with my Max, it was diagnosed in March by our regular vet after I noticed him squinting. They put him on antibiotic eye drops and metacam for pain for 10 days then re-check, it was still there though no infection so she did a soft de-briding of cornea w/local anesthesia in eye. More antibiotic eye drops, Metacam and re-check 2 weeks later. It was not healed so... we were referred to an Opthamologist and he did a Keratotomy(full scraping of cornea) under pain meds and local to eye and left w/more antibiotic eye drops, Tramadol and the "Cone of shame" for 2 weeks!! It finally is healed :) and Doc said that this is the most common eye injury he sees in older dogs and they almost always need a Keratotomy to heal them.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Just went through this with my Max, it was diagnosed in March by our regular vet after I noticed him squinting. They put him on antibiotic eye drops and metacam for pain for 10 days then re-check, it was still there though no infection so she did a soft de-briding of cornea w/local anesthesia in eye. More antibiotic eye drops, Metacam and re-check 2 weeks later.

That is what we went through with Venus except after the debriding & recheck all was well with Venus. It's been 6 mos with no recurrence. Her eye appears normal with no lasting effects.

Hope your pup heals quickly.

Guest ronansmom

Thanks to all who wrote. Our vet performed the "scraping" and put Ronan on antibiotic eye drops last week but still not healed. Next step is the opthamologist if no improvement at tonight's follow up. Dread the "Cone." Tried it out already on Ro and he went nuts.