Potty Training, I Need Help!

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

we have had glider for 6 months, and he is still having accidents in the house :(

we take him out at least 5 times a day, and he almost always either #1's or #2's but hes still having accidents!

the other day we took him out at 12am. he went #1 and #2 we went to bed and i woke up at 845am took them out and we were out for 30 mins walking and stopping to sniff things he didnt poop but he peed, i came back in fed them and took a shower (this was all within mins) came out of the shower and he pooped in the house! this is how it almost always is :( and he knows hes doing a bad thing because he hides in the bedroom or with his head under a pillow.

any advice as to what we can do or try?

Have you done a vet check to rule out medical causes first?

What do you do when he eliminates appropriately? What do you do when he eliminates in the house? Are you using a crate when you can't watch him? If he's checking out medically, I'd use the "tether method" and keep him with you at all times. Take him out at regular intervals and throw him a party with the best treats imaginable when he does what he should do. How much exercise is he getting?

And he doesn't know he's doing anything wrong when he's going in the house. To him, poop and pee are good things.

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Guest sweetpea

He hides because he knows you're upset. He just doesn't know why you're upset.

It doesn't matter how long you walk him first thing in the morning, if he hasn't pooped for 9 hours he needs to be walked until he does poop.

Here's our schedule for our 9 year old dogs:

6:30 am walk, poop and pee

3:00 pm walk, poop and pee

9:00 pm walk, poop and pee

A healthy dog shouldn't need 5 walks AND still have accidents in the house, either he's sick, he's not going enough when you're taking him out,

or his house breaking needs to start over from square one.

Good luck!

Buzzy

Guest IrskasMom

I would ,as said above rule out any possible Medical Issues. Then my Boy makes 2 Poopes every walking . He rarely poops only ones at an Outing. Is he Poopshy?? :huh :huh Mine wants to go in Bushes for Pooping and I really have to make sure he has plenty Opportunity to have Bushes around .

Sounds like he isn't getting enough business done when he is out. I would at the very least give him a second out right after he eats (eating brings on poop for many dogs), and keep him confined to a smaller area when you can't watch him.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I remember Glider from the Keystone Greyhounds website! We're from Western PA, so I occasionally check their website. He's darling. There is a book I like by Shirlee Kalstone (How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days) with a lot of helpful information. It's actually more like a long pamphlet, you can read it in a few sittings. I also added my two cents about housebreaking in this thread. I had a really difficult experience with my greyhound puppy, so I did a ton of research on housebreaking. A few really important things to remember.

• Take him out after he eats (mine usually have to go about twenty minutes afterwards) and after naps
  • At first, take him out as often as necessary, once he becomes accustomed to going outside, he will prefer it
  • Try not to give him too much freedom when he's not supervised- either by crating him or confining him
  • Reward good behavior, do not punish the bad unless you catch him in the act
  • Clean the soiled area with an enzyme-based cleaner to prevent him from returning to that spot

Guest ashphobiax

let me explain a little better, 5 walks - we live in an apartment complex so anytime we go out to "potty" we end up walking for a good while. we arent lucky enough to just open the door and have a nice fenced in yard waiting for us (oh i wish we did)

its almost like he has ADD or something, we go out he starts sniffing to poop he gets distracted and he completely forgets what he was doing so we have to start over again. its very difficult and its almost like he was only poop in a certain spot when he finds it.

I remember Glider from the Keystone Greyhounds website! We're from Western PA, so I occasionally check their website. He's darling. There is a book I like by Shirlee Kalstone (How to Housebreak Your Dog in 7 Days) with a lot of helpful information. It's actually more like a long pamphlet, you can read it in a few sittings. I also added my two cents about housebreaking in this thread. I had a really difficult experience with my greyhound puppy, so I did a ton of research on housebreaking. A few really important things to remember.

• Take him out after he eats (mine usually have to go about twenty minutes afterwards) and after naps
  • At first, take him out as often as necessary, once he becomes accustomed to going outside, he will prefer it
  • Try not to give him too much freedom when he's not supervised- either by crating him or confining him
  • Reward good behavior, do not punish the bad unless you catch him in the act
  • Clean the soiled area with an enzyme-based cleaner to prevent him from returning to that spot

Above are great tips.

Here is the second part of that original thread noted above (with different responses). http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/286496-need-advice-on-potty-training/

• 2 weeks later...

its almost like he has ADD or something, we go out he starts sniffing to poop he gets distracted and he completely forgets what he was doing so we have to start over again. its very difficult and its almost like he was only poop in a certain spot when he finds it.

My boy is the same way! We'll be walking and he'll wander off the path, get all ready to squat, and then he'll see a motionless stump halfway down the path and take off after it. :lol

Mom of bridge babies Regis and Dusty.

Wrote a book about shelter dogs!

I sell things on Etsy!

For peeing issues you could put a belly band on him. Many males will quit peeing in the house with a belly band because they don't like being wet.

what is he eating and how much?

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Mistake was feeding then not taking him straight out. Even my seniors need to go out immediately after eating. I do AM turn out, then feed, then put them straight back out again. That might help some :)

Guest LindsaySF

Many dogs will poop right after eating. I would add a small potty walk after eating. I would also confine him to a smaller area when you can't watch him, so he's less likely to sneak away and potty in the house.

With any new fosters that I have they go out --

1. after they get up from sleeping/nap

2. after eating

3. after playing

4. at least every 3 to 4 hours (in the beginning until you learn their schedule

Do you use any "code words" so he knows what you want him to do? If not, start using them when he does it and praise. Then when you need him to do it you can keep on saying the code word over and over again.

Guest Krissyfissy

I agree with June for the Marking or Peeing in the house. When we brought our greys home, they nearly marked up the place. The belly bands while they were out of their crates helped a lot. We only needed a full day or two to get our message across along with small treats and praise when you walk them to do their business. Wish you the best of luck!