Surgery For Laryngeal Paralysis In Ontario

Hi all,

Our Andy is 99.9% sure dx with laryngeal paralysis. We are working with our vet to get a referral to either OVC in Guelph, Vet Emerg in Oakville or possibly a clinic in London. We did NOT have a good experience at OVC with Carrier back in 2008, so I am hesitant to go there. We did have a good experience with Vet Emerg in Oakville with Carrier but the situation was different back then - we didn't do a surgery for Carrier there, but rather it was diagnostics on his heart.

Has anyone here had the surgery done for laryngeal paralysis? if so which surgeon did you go to in Ontario?

Travelling out of the country is not an option for Andy as he is an anxious dog, so the trip alone would put him over the edge.

thank

eva

Edited by LadyBailey

Hi there, your post came out really small for some reason, I've enlarged it so people can read it:

Hi all,

Our Andy is 99.9% sure dx with laryngeal paralysis. We are working with our vet to get a referral to either OVC in Guelph, Vet Emerg in Oakville or possibly a clinic in London. We did NOT have a good experience at OVC with Carrier back in 2008, so I am hesitant to go there. We did have a good experience with Vet Emerg in Oakville with Carrier but the situation was different back then - we didn't do a surgery for Carrier there, but rather it was diagnostics on his heart.

Has anyone here had the surgery done for laryngeal paralysis? if so which surgeon did you go to in Ontario?

Travelling out of the country is not an option for Andy as he is an anxious dog, so the trip alone would put him over the edge.

thank

eva

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

We're not located in your region; however, the following LP group is for owners of dogs (all breeds) with Laryngeal Paralysis, including other Greyhound owners: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/LP/

This LP group may be another source to ask for a surgeon referral in your area. Sounds like you are aware that a specially trained Board certified surgeon is desirable.

For you or other readers, I'm sure you're aware of OSU's recommendation of Aminocaproic Acid (trade name: Amicar) to help prevent excessive bleeding in Greyhounds (typically, day of and post surgery). Good to ask for a prescription called to pharmacy about one week prior to surgery. (Pharmacy might not have drug in stock, thus, allows time to receive/compound order.) Compounded liquid form (from compounding pharmacy) is usually a fraction of dry tablet cost (in U.S.). Shelf life after being compounded into liquid is typically one month. Beef flavor tastes like yummy treat to hounds.

Amicar dosage example is listed on OSU's Greyhound Health and Wellness site. See Treatment and Prognosis section in this article: https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/bonecancer/index.cfm

Good luck with Andy. One of our girls was diagnosed with fairly advanced LP almost 2 years ago. She is doing quite well with care to keep her cool, and relaxed.

Edited by 3greytjoys

In Toronto, Dr. Brendon Ringwood at VEC is an excellent surgeon. You'd have to ask about his LP experience. He does have GH experience and has done surgeries on my whippet.

Dr. Carl Porter at TVEH also has an excellent reputation. I've been to him for diagnostics but not surgery.