Poop Question

Guest Nat_JJ

Guest Nat_JJ

Jasper normally has very good poops, good proper pick-up-able ones. Very recently though he seems to be having 'episodes' of diarrhoea all of a sudden and for no apparent reason. He normally seems to right himself after a day and then his normal good output resumes. When he has the 'episodes' he gets a day of bland boiled chicken and rice before starting him back on his normal diet.

I'm just wondering what could be causing these unexplained episodes. His diet is the same, he's not under any stress and his worming is all up to date. He is 9.5 years old. The only thing I can think of that has happened is my parents dog (Ellie, a 16.5 year old but still young and tough for her age mutt) got a severe case of gastointeritis (sp?) in February whilst staying with us which Jasper did not appear to come down with at the time. These 'episodes' (including yesterdays) have occurred 4 times since roundabout that time, all righting themselves within a day. When he has had something he shouldn't, for emample beef, it takes him longer than a day to get back on track output wise. Does the gastrointeritis (sp?) hang around for a while maybe and flare up every now and again, or could it be something else? Or could I just be worrying over nothing and thats just how is his system is now? We've had him nearly 6 years and this is only very recent. Is there anything I should have him checked for or anything I can give him to help?

Could it be a certain treat that he only gets occasionally irritating his tummy?

I also wouldn't rule out some type of worm or parasite, even though you de-worm regularly. Some of those nasty things keep coming back. When it happens, i would have the vet check a poop sample.

The other thing to consider is at 9.5 his dietary needs may be changing a little. Some of the people with seniors will probably chime in with their experience.

Stomach problems suck, as we are going through this now with Rocket, and still not certain what's causing it. We seem to have a round of it every 9 to 14 months.

Good luck! Hope your boy is feeling better soon. .

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Nat_JJ

All his treats are the same as they normally are so don't think thats a problem. Getting a sample checked would be a good idea - I will certainly do that.

His stomach isn't that bad at the moment but just wanted to nip it in the bud before it developed into anything really. We've had four episodes in the last 3 months now and even though they only last a day I just feel so bad for him. He incidentally obviously doesn't feel too bad in himself because he was running about the house at 2am this morning inbetween visits outside. Crazy boy!

Thanks for your help and I hope you get some answers with Rocket!

Just sending good wishes!!!

FYI, my Dustin had boughts of occassional bloody diarreah....brought on with tummy gurgles, etc. He would get it every few months.....with no diet change, etc. He now is fully on the I/D diet. Just one of those hounds w/intestinal tract trouble.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Is there any possibility he's eating something nasty outdoors?

Beth has also been on I/D for the past year+ and it's really straightened her out; I can't get over how beautifully she does on it. Her intestinal troubles (or most of them) turned out to be connected to sub-acute pancreatic inflammation. But she still has passing brief episodes that I can usually connect to her eating something icky, or grass, or whatever.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Nat_JJ

Bloody diarrhoea - how scary! His doesn't seem to be that bad (touch wood).

He does sometimes (very rarely) eat grass but nothing else and certainly hasn't got into anything recently.

That was actually another one of my thoughts, that it was something to do with his food. I will have to look into changing him onto the I/D maybe, after I get a sample checked for worms etc. Probably wouldn't do him any harm to switch him onto that brand anyway in the long run.

Thanks for the help and good wishes!