Suggestions For Separation Anxiety?

Guest badderh

Guest badderh

We adopted our greyhound Rocky about 4 months ago and found out within the first month that he had separation anxiety we didn't feel it was right to return a dog that had separation anxiety, because in every other aspect he was an amazing dog so we decided that we would keep him . It feels like we have tried EVERYTHING. We tried crate training him, we have tried the thundershirt, we have tried leaving kongs for him, we have tried DAP diffusers, we have tried leaving blankets with our scent. As well as several combinations of these things. The kongs have given me the most success with helping him stay by himself, but commonly after the kongs are gone his anxiety comes back. Thankfully he doesn't destroy anything ( or we just haven't let it get there yet) but he yelps, whines, barks, and howls non-stop, and the one time we did leave him for about an hour he also urinated on our bed. I was hoping I could hear some success stories of owners helping greyhound overcome or manage their separation anxiety in hopes to push on wards in the right direction. Or if anyone has suggestions those would be appreciated as well!

Edited by badderh

Sorry, I didn't have to go through this, but I know a lot of people have successfully and can give you more advice on alone training. All I can say is that I know that Teague would probably go nuts if I didn't take him on a long walk/run each morning before work. It just seems to wind him down into resting mode. Also, sometimes the crate, and going into it can trigger the anxiety. Obviously, he can't be allowed free, but I have read a lot of greys who were suddenly fine when they were gated or penned into a contained area rather than crated. Maybe worth a try? I'm sure others will have some better ideas. Don't give up, as a lot of people have gone through the same thing!

Guest jbbuzby

I've posted many times about this. Get the book, "I'll Be Home Soon," as it is worth its weight in gold. Then make your schedule very rigid, don't leave them alone a second more than they are able to handle, and as a last resort after trying the book's tactics, look into fluoxetine (prozac), or consider adding a second hound.

I've also written dozens of times about how the only thing that ultimately worked for my SA hound was that book, prozac, and a second dog. Now we're in the clear 1 year later with everyone happy! It can be done, but it does take a lot of work and an immense amount of patience!

Guest KsFrets

>or consider adding a second hound<

Magnus came to us with typical freek-out crate peeing SA. In fact he was a bounce. We tried all the tactics of alone training and Kongs and radio/TV scented clothes etc. Nothing really worked. A month later we got Maggie, and his SA vanished without a trace. That was over 4 years ago. It never came back.

Guest Fasave

I had an SA dog and totally feel for you but these pups are well worth it. This may sound completely strange but what ended up working for my boy was that he needed to see me leave out a window. I discovered this one day when I went outside to wash my car in the driveway. I thought the screaming would start but I left a window open and called to him. He came to the window and watched me sometimes walking away and coming back. From then on, every time I left, he would run to that window to watch me leave and he would be fine. I thought this might just be a coincidence but recently I was talking to a new adopter who was dealiing with SA issues. I explained what happened with my boy and they tried it and what do you know, it worked for their new boy as well. I have no idea why it's worked for two dogs but it might be worth trying.

Guest 302Crew

We've only had Hugo 3 months.

Hugo was fine for the first month that he was here....after that...the whining started....and then a few weeks later the peeing in the crate started. We tried everything you listed and a few others. We'd leave him Kongs, bones, antlers....a full buffet. NOTHING would be touched when we got back. We walked him first to tire him out too...same result. He was sooo anxious when he's in there. As soon as he was out of his crate he's run for the back door and do zoomies in the yard like crazy!

There was also a point when I noticed that when I would take grab his collar and walk him into the crate there was a very small fight -- he was protesting going in. Nothng serious...just some hesitation/avoidance. But he would always go in.

Then we switched to leaving the crate door open, leaving the drapes open so he could look out the window, baby gating him in and putting his muzzle on. Since then...it's gotten much better. I don't think he sleeps when we're gone...but he isn't all panicked and panting and going crazy when we get home. I haven't seen the same anxiety as before...yet.

Our plan is to add a second hound (it was before this started) but we have to wait for a bit since I'm not working at the moment.

It's worth trying the baby gate. If you can borrow one or two...try it...it might be the difference.

Good luck. I know how you feel...I didn't like knowing he was that upset when he was alone either.

My boy had bad SA in the crate. Left him out with the muzzle but blockaded in one section of the house. He was better but not perfect so we gave him the run of the house (which is very large) with the muzzle on. He was better again but there was still room for improvement. So I gave him the run of the house without the muzzle and he was perfect and has been ever since. I guess every dog is different.

When I leave I make sure he knows I am leaving, we have a little goodbye ritual, and he is fine.

Edited by KickReturn

Just went through this with Hadji for about 5 months. He would have severe panic attacks when left alone. He was kept on a strict schedule, and would only be alone for a couple hours a day. With time, he got slightly better, to the point he could be left alone with a muzzle on (he would chew anything) and all the blinds up (he would rip them down) if it was on schedule. All bets were off if we tried to go out in the evening. Everyone here said crate him, we did, he destroyed the crate and his canine teeth trying to get out (we conditioned him to the crate, kept all his toys in it, he had no problem with his crate if we were home). I'd read all the books, he hadn't. I finally consulted with a "pet communicator" who immediately said we need to get him another dog. Reluctantly, we got Gila, a very shy female. That's exactly what Hadji needed. We've had no problems with him since, can come and go when we want, and don't worry that the house will be destroyed. He's a different dog. Unfortunately, Gila has her own issues we're dealing with, but at least they're not destructive.

Guest badderh

Perhaps you could foster a dog until you can adopt?

We really wish we could but our home is just too small to fit another greyhound into. As soon as we can we plan on getting another, it just may not be for a few years.

I think both Neylasmom and Goofydog here on GT found that if their grey saw them leave, they were ok. Perhaps one of them will see this thread.

When we first adopted Ben his foster mom said he loved his crate. After listening to him cry for 20 minutes, we took the crate down. We did the same thing for Brooke, set up the crate for her and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Is Rocky able to see outside when you leave?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

You've already got the advice you need--work on alone training. I just wanted you to know you CAN beat this! My dog had pretty bad SA when I got him, and he's just fine now. Hang in there. Are you confining him? That drove my dog nuts. As soon as I gave him free access to my condo, he stopped the howling.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest badderh

I think both Neylasmom and Goofydog here on GT found that if their grey saw them leave, they were ok. Perhaps one of them will see this thread.

When we first adopted Ben his foster mom said he loved his crate. After listening to him cry for 20 minutes, we took the crate down. We did the same thing for Brooke, set up the crate for her and she wanted nothing to do with it.

Is Rocky able to see outside when you leave?

His crate is in our bedroom which puts the door just out of his sight, we switched this week to leaving him out of his crate and also bought a DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) collar and we seem to be having a tiny bit more luck.

You've already got the advice you need--work on alone training. I just wanted you to know you CAN beat this! My dog had pretty bad SA when I got him, and he's just fine now. Hang in there. Are you confining him? That drove my dog nuts. As soon as I gave him free access to my condo, he stopped the howling.

He's still whining when out of the crate but we've been working non stop on desensitization to cues of us leaving and alone training, seems to be agonizingly slow. We're having a trainer come work with us so that maybe she can give us a little bit more insight on something that we might be over looking. Crossing our fingers that something start working eventually! :P