Akon Isn't Feeling Well.

You might want to try giving a few tablespoons of oatmeal (5 minute type) cooked down to mush and mixing with a bit of milk and molasses. It's easy to digest and it might "stay down". You could also try a slice of toast with just a bit of butter as sometimes that can be tolerated by someone with a "queasy stomach".

Hopefully Akon will be feeling better.

So stool sample was negative for Coccidia and all other parasites (though I realize there are many samples that test negative and ultimately it is still a parasite problem) for both dogs. Lab work on Akon: Amylase was slightly elevated (sorry but I wasn't able to write the value down as I was driving) but not impressively so and his Lipase was normal. Hemoglobin was high (same as last week) and "typical for a GH". BUN was slightly elevated than last week but only recommendation was "something we should follow" over time. Next step is x-rays tomorrow to see any large masses but he cautioned me that it may not show things like cloth of grass. That would be an Ultrasound. Akon is not a chewer but will eat grass if I don't watch him. He mentioned an endoscopy for UGI to r/o ulcers etc... but I've never seen any blood in his vomit. As far as I can tell he has not vomited but he hasn't eaten well today. Seems Coyote wants Akons food and vice versa. Good spirits and energy. I told them that I would lop of their ears, take off their collars and let them out if they didn't get better and I got a kiss in return. How can you not love that?

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

This just seems strange that it all started post dental especially since everything else is coming up negative.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest KimK

My youngest girl had a sudden onset case of pancreatitis due to a medication she was on. It kind of sounds similar to Akon as far as the throwing up (was fine - acting normal & eating normal) then all of a sudden she threw up a meal - mostly undigested. Tried the next meal, she ate willingly but same thing happened. I feared a blockage too (she likes to chew up stuffies, etc.) but since the pancreas was ailing, things weren't getting digested properly. While it was a very sudden thing, my vet felt it was a mild case and she was treated and back to normal in just a few days and has been able to go back to a regular diet. I think it's a cPL test that they can run to check for it. We have another dog who has chronic pancreatitis - cPL always says "abnormal" so he stays on a lower fat diet. Hope they both get to feeling better soon!

Have you read this article in Whole Dog Journal? It seems that these symptoms have occurred in dogs on the east coast around this time: http://www.whole-dog...og_16136-1.html

Thank You for that article. Akons vomit was never bloody but undigested food. Interesting nonetheless.

My youngest girl had a sudden onset case of pancreatitis due to a medication she was on. It kind of sounds similar to Akon as far as the throwing up (was fine - acting normal & eating normal) then all of a sudden she threw up a meal - mostly undigested. Tried the next meal, she ate willingly but same thing happened. I feared a blockage too (she likes to chew up stuffies, etc.) but since the pancreas was ailing, things weren't getting digested properly. While it was a very sudden thing, my vet felt it was a mild case and she was treated and back to normal in just a few days and has been able to go back to a regular diet. I think it's a cPL test that they can run to check for it. We have another dog who has chronic pancreatitis - cPL always says "abnormal" so he stays on a lower fat diet. Hope they both get to feeling better soon!

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I am happy to say that Akons x-rays are negative and he seems to be regaining his appetite and keeping food down. He is only on bland food and pepcid at this time. Hopefully we are going in the right direction.

Barbara
Majestic and Ranger

"If you want to hear the patter of little feet I'll put shoes on my dogs."

Glad the x-rays were clear and especially glad he is feeling some better. Hope he continues to improve!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.