Whats For Breakfast? Seriously...

Guest Melissa516

Guest Melissa516

So, Ginger and Fred both eat TotW Pacific Stream (salmon). The best I can tell our bag is part of the recall (TDP0301A31XAW 1345 - Best Before 05/Mar/2013). Thank goodness we just opened the new bag and dumped it into the almost empty food container. They didn't actually eat any of it. We'll be taking it back to the store tomorrow.

But, now... the big question is... what's for breakfast?!?!

We have a few cans of TotW Salmon in the house. I don't think the canned food is affected by the recall, right? I'm also cooking some white rice. I was thinking giving each a half of a can of dog food mixed with white rice. What do you guys think?

The next question is what to do next. When my husband bought the TotW last week, the store told him about the recall (supposedly affecting other brands) and said they wouldn't be getting any more TotW in for a while. Ginger has a very sensitive tummy and has suffered from episodes of blow-out big D. But, she did super well on the TotW Pacific Stream (salmon). I'm afraid to switch her cold turkey. We've only had Fred for 3 weeks and just finished transitioning him from Pedigree (crap). I don't know how he'd react either.

Any thoughts? Help! :blink:

Scrambled eggs - hounds love 'em.....

Yep, scrambled eggs, and we have thrown cheerios on top :lol

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Guest Melissa516

Scrambled eggs and rice maybe? How much for each hound do you think? They each usually get 2 cups of kibble per meal.

Scrambled eggs and rice maybe? How much for each hound do you think? They each usually get 2 cups of kibble per meal.

When I have done scrambled eggs, it's usually 2 eggs each, rice is a good filler, I have even done dry toast :) You can do veggies too....green beans, carrots...a little mini smorgasbord :lol

gtsigtest5-31-1-1.jpg?t=1338477409
Mom to Emmi (WM Lickety Split) & Asia (Devious Walker)
Waiting at the Bridge: Shadow, Willow, Tony, Nina, Reggie, Sunny, Webb, Rosie, Rowdy, Ivy, Smoke & Raina

Cup and a half or two cups cooked rice per dog would be good.

That said, given the nature of this recall, if the dog has been eating from the bag and hasn't gotten sick, I'd probably give normal breakfast and then go get a different food as a precaution.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

For everyone who is looking for new food, I just thought I'd mention that my dogs do very well on Flint River Ranch "Fish and Chips" (Trout and Sweet Potato). You can order online at http://www.frrco.com Unfortunately, you probably can't buy it local.

I moved to FRR during the first large pet food recall a number of years ago in my search to find a good quality food that I could be assured would always ALWAYS be safe to eat. (would love to go raw, but I dont even prepare my own food...lol)

~Amanda

When I have done scrambled eggs, it's usually 2 eggs each, rice is a good filler, I have even done dry toast :) You can do veggies too....green beans, carrots...a little mini smorgasbord :lol

Also boiled ground beef, boiled chicken, cottage cheese or cooked pasta (plain).. These are all the things we use as occasional add-ins or topping just to break up the monotony of kibble. None of it has ever been turned down. When Rocket had stomach problems, I was cooking a dozen scrambled eggs at a time and storing them in the frig for meals. You can't feed this stuff for an extended period because they will drop weight fast, but in a pinch it will suffice as a meal or an add-on if you are low on kibble.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Cottage cheese mixed with rice and eggs (with maybe some bacon or ham ;) )are a big hit here (for dogs, not humans!). Also, if I am running low of things, canned fish (tuna, salmon, sardines, or oysters) come in handy too as mix ins.