Signs Of Blockage?

Nick woke us up at 5:30am, puking bile and several strips of thick white plastic (about 1/4" wide and an inch long, thicker than squeaker plastic in toys). We found at least three pieces, although there could've been more in the quilt that was (fortunately!) thrown over his bed.

I have NO CLUE what the plastic is or where it came from, although he had to have found it outside. I don't let him out of my sight in the house, mainly because he's tried to chew on EVERYTHING, including walls and door hinges.

He's never out more than 5 minutes at a time unless DH has him out trying to play/exercise, so i don't know when he found time to eat plastic or where on earth he'd find it in our yard. Argh!

He'll now be muzzled every time he goes out, but what should I look for in terms of blockages? We'll see if he eats breakfast in an hour or so, but right now he doesn't seem to be in any distress.

I can't drive or walk him (broken foot), and DH is back at work, so while of course we'll take him to the vet if we need to, it would take some serious arranging.

If anyone feels tempted to get a puppy, I'll loan him to you for a few days and you'll be cured. :lol All this and he's FOUR! Good grief!

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Someday you'll probably look back on episodes like this and smile. What a delightful "character" Nick is. He has clearly set himself apart as no ordinary greyhound but a very special one!:rolleyes:

Edited by racindog

Guest BrianRke

Frank(3yo), woke me at 6am Sunday and puked up some unidentified hard black thing with orange adhesive tape on it. I can not figure out what this could have been. He does this every couple months. I watch him like a hawk but sometimes he still manages to eat something without me knowing about it.

He has never had any problems as a result. I would just keep an eye on him and make sure he is eating and pooping ok. Im sure everything will be ok.

Like you, I keep waiting for him to grow out of this. He will be 4 next month.

If he has distress like a blockage I would look for the signs of "gas buildup" like stretching, panting, salivating, and can't get comfortable - getting up after a minute or so and some dogs will arch their neck like they are trying to clear something from their throat. You might also see expansion of the stomach area.