Minor Foot Pad Injury

I was taking Beth for her short midday walk and she suddenly limped several steps and held up a front foot. When I lifted the foot I saw that something had sheared off a tiny piece of her main footpad (smaller than the tip of a pencil eraser) to expose raw-looking tissue underneath. (Or maybe something happened when she ran this morning, but something only aggravated it on the later walk, as she showed no sign earlier.) I had to leave for the afternoon right then so I dropped her at the vet where she loves to hang out anyway. They said just keep it clean (I will have her wear her rubber Pawz bootie when she goes out, and wash it several times a day), no antibiotic needed. And of course I'll need to keep her on leash until it heals, which is a bummer. She is mostly not limping, just occasionally for a few steps when I guess something bops the raw area, but of course she shouldn't run on it.

Anyway, just wondering how long you think it might take for a small pad abrasion like that to fill in, and any other advice you have.

Meanwhile, I know it's a very minor owie, but I'm having trouble with superstitiousness! We're coming up on the one-year anniversary of Beth's bad rear-toe injury (about a week and a half away) and I've been really jumpy anyway. And right before that she had a cut on her front toe that also kept us on leash for a couple of weeks. So I know rationally there is no reason to think another bad injury is coming up next, but I worry ceaselessly about her foot with the amputation anyway, and with the anniversary coming up (happened the day after I submitted my final spring grades, the day before I was supposed to leave for GEM, and totally derailed the first half of my summer) I am just so nervous! I am planning to go to GEM this year and would really like to make it this time.....

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

It'll be fine. I probably wouldn't bother to wash it unless it's oozy. Imagine if you got a small blister or burn on your foot -- it would hurt when you stepped on a pebble, prickly grass, etc. Same for her.

Beth :wub:

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd give it at least a couple of weeks, I think, before I'd really expect it to be filled in. New skin will be softer and easier to re-tear, and if she gets up to zoomie speed--on asphalt or grass--she's likely to scrape it open again.

Keep your plans for GEM. Just pack her booties. If she accidentally opens it there, you'll be prepared.

And look at it this way: if she's wearing a bootie and you're having to leash-walk her--'though that's a bummer--she's less likely to ding herself up badly between now and GEM.

I'm not going to poke fun at your superstitions. Someday when you're less nervous, I'll tell you about my girls at the age of 8. (Let's just say Silver is going under a glass dome when she turns 8, and she's not coming out until she's safely 9 years old.)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks Jey. It's definitely "a long way from her heart" as we say in my family, but she's never had a pad injury before. I worry all the time about her getting hurt running, but her last two minor injuries have come from leash walks!

Wow Kathy, I'd like to hear that story ... maybe in a month or so. A couple of weeks off running sucks, but you are right that I could avoid the anxiety that way. (And I could get some more sleep, as we try to get to the dog park to see our friends around 6:30 a.m., which is really hard for me.) I guess she could wear the bootie too for her first runs to prevent scrapes.

Edited by PrairieProf

Guest grey_dreams

We're coming up on the one-year anniversary of Beth's bad rear-toe injury (about a week and a half away) and I've been really jumpy anyway. And right before that she had a cut on her front toe that also kept us on leash for a couple of weeks. So I know rationally there is no reason to think another bad injury is coming up next, but I worry ceaselessly about her foot with the amputation anyway, and with the anniversary coming up (happened the day after I submitted my final spring grades, the day before I was supposed to leave for GEM, and totally derailed the first half of my summer) I am just so nervous! I am planning to go to GEM this year and would really like to make it this time.....

Beth is picking up on all of this energy from you, but she is probably not remembering the one-year anniversary. Your anxiety can affect her. Try not to remember what happened in the past, try to relax, and try not to be nervous. :)

Bootsy tore a small chunk in his foot a little over a couple weeks ago. I don't have a boot for him, so I washed it daily and for the first few days put neosporin, a gauze, and vet wrap on it. It took longer to heal than I expected - just as I was getting worried and made a vet appointment, it started to heal. He's fine now :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Guest vrice

Beth is picking up on all of this energy from you, but she is probably not remembering the one-year anniversary. Your anxiety can affect her. Try not to remember what happened in the past, try to relax, and try not to be nervous. :)

GOOD ADVICE!

i am always dealing w/ chunks ripped off of pads and slices, felix is a comi-kazi. one soak w/ epson's salts, one application of triple antibiotic ointment, a bandage if he doesn't eat it and in one weeks he's back to soccer and crazies. sometimes it's a week and a half, but leaving it alone for a week seems to work. don't panic, lightening generally doesn't strike twice in the same spot.

GOOD ADVICE!

Fortunately, Beth may be the world's least anxious greyhound. ;) She and I have very different personalities. :rolleyes:

I got a little worried last night as another piece of the outer pad layer adjacent to the wound started to come off -- it was hanging in a flap. But this morning it's stuck down again for now and the open area looks dry and less red. I did take her in for a quick vet check this morning since I didn't get to talk to the vet yesterday, and he was very reassuring -- said it would heal fast, she'd be over the sensitivity in a few days. He wants me to use her Pawz bootie over the weekend or so, and I'll probably keep her on leash a week though he wasn't insistent on that. She didn't limp at all that I could see on our walk this morning so it's clearly feeling better already.

Edited by PrairieProf