Excessive Excessive Licking?

Hi all,

We're noticing Bernie do a strange thing this morning. He is drooling a lot and is licking the left side of his mouth. The whole left side of his snout is literally dripping because he continues to lick. He started this excessive drooling and licking about 45 minutes ago, which was a few hours after his breakfast.

He ate breakfast like normal, and was happy to eat. We did not let him outdoors for at least 30 minutes after he ate. (We always make him wait like this.)

He does not want any water.

I checked his mouth and I'm not seeing cuts or bleeding or anything.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be?

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Well, right after I posted my original post, I asked Justin to take him outside to see if he acts different in a slightly different environment. His favorite thing ever is enjoying the backyard. When we got him outside, he acted like he was totally ready to play.

???

Still weird left-side drooling and left-side licking. :blink:

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Did he tangle with a bug? Bee sting, spider bite? I would watch for swelling. Also did you open his mouth to make sure he doesn't have a bone or stick lodged in his teeth?

Hi-

I did look at his gums and teeth, trying to find something stuck in between teeth or cuts on his gums. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I did not think about the insect sting/bite. I don't know if this happened -- but I will definitely watch for swelling. Thank you!

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Or even a chunk of dog food wedged up between his lip and gum? It doesn't have to be very big to get the licking/drooling thing going on. I do better searching along the gum/lip area with my finger rather than visually.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Hi all,

Thank you again for all the suggestions! He seemed to have completely stopped in the past few hours. His mouth is just like normal now!

Weird ...

Bernie-signature-400.jpg