Zyrtec? Anyone Experience Diharrea Using It?

Guest lfreem2

Guest lfreem2

We're having a bout of licking and nibbling on the thighs suddenly in last week and a half. Trip to vet yesterday (vet is wonderful and is a lifelong Grey owner and works with has worked with our local grey rescue for decades)). He does not think it's a thyroid issue at this point because she had a wonderful coat up until she showed up in NC just being off the track from FL and transitioned to kibble. NC is a notorious high allergy state for dogs. He suggested zyrtec and a 2 month round of omega acid/Vit E supplement. Well, we "thought" we were transitioned to Taste of the Wild/Salmon (thinking she might have a sensitivity to chicken) with no ill effects, but then yesterday started the zyrtec and omega acids, and suddenly poop is like water. Ugh!

So, with so many new things in the diet, not sure what to point to. Have been giving her Immodium to ease poop and we're at the consistency of yogurt at this point. Anyone else experience watery poop with zyrtec? I'm thinking it's not the food, but rather the Zyrtec since we have have been fine on the new food for 10 days.

Things that make you go hmm...about greyhounds!

Edited by lfreem2

No experience with giving Zyrtec to hounds, but I had a HORRIBLE itching reaction when withdrawing from taking Zyrtec (withdrawal?? from an allergy pill? really?!).

I don't know if that helps... :blush but I figure there might be something goofy going on with that drug. I wouldn't be surprised if it's directly related to the diarrhea.

as usual i will ask if you called your vet who prescribed the zyrtec and oil- but i would personally go w/ straight white rice omit the oil and continue the zyrtec and get on the phone. the food or too much oil could have started the runs, but your vet does need to be in the loop. white rice has never killed anything- most of the world lives on white rice and now that his gut is upset it needs to settle. one hamburger's worth of raw meat can be added to the rice,that helps bind them as well. might he have gotten into something in the yard?? basically the zyrtec is longer acting than benadryl and stronger, i don't think that a short regime of zyrtec will cause the itching sensation that o_rooly mentioned. that's when you have been on it for an extended period of time.

Guest lfreem2

Yep. I called the vet this morning when they opened. He said there is a possibility that the zyrtec could have caused an upset tummy, so he is suggesting trying claritin instead and watching her for a few days. Interestingly, the zyrtec did nothing for her in terms of reducing the itchiness. She went right on nibbling and licking. I don't know how long it takes for Clartin to kick in, so we shall see. I also sprayed her legs with something for hot spots and she seems pretty calm right now and not nibbling or licking.

Yep. I called the vet this morning when they opened. He said there is a possibility that the zyrtec could have caused an upset tummy, so he is suggesting trying claritin instead and watching her for a few days. Interestingly, the zyrtec did nothing for her in terms of reducing the itchiness. She went right on nibbling and licking. I don't know how long it takes for Clartin to kick in, so we shall see. I also sprayed her legs with something for hot spots and she seems pretty calm right now and not nibbling or licking.

What happened to good old reliable Benadryl. Why Zyrtec or Claritin?? :huh

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

Guest lfreem2

Vet said Claritin would have a stronger affect, particularly coupled with the supplements. Not sure why he didn't opt for Benadryl first. I did mention it, but he said to do the loratadine.

Guest WhiteWave

For some dogs w/ severe allergies, Benadryl doesn't work. Dogs are suppose to get 1mg per lb of body weight. Circe was pushing up 3 mg per lb of body weight and it wasn't even touching her itching. Also Zyrtec and Claritin last longer w/ fewer pills than Benadryl.

She has been on Zyrtec for over 2 months and her hair has grown back in and she is not itching nearly as bad. She has seasonal allergies and our pollen counts have been thru the roof. I also have allergies and ended up with a sinus infection and now bronchitis. So while we can't breathe, dogs itch.

For some dogs w/ severe allergies, Benadryl doesn't work. Dogs are suppose to get 1mg per lb of body weight. Circe was pushing up 3 mg per lb of body weight and it wasn't even touching her itching. Also Zyrtec and Claritin last longer w/ fewer pills than Benadryl.

She has been on Zyrtec for over 2 months and her hair has grown back in and she is not itching nearly as bad. She has seasonal allergies and our pollen counts have been thru the roof. I also have allergies and ended up with a sinus infection and now bronchitis. So while we can't breathe, dogs itch.

Good to know for future reference. Thanks. ;)

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.