Respiration Rate Of Greyhounds

Just took my new foster in for prelimiary bloodwork for neutering and dental. His rate was 60. Vet was amazed at the calmness being just picked up from the farm. The vet said he would be 40 at home at peace! The google says average rate is 60-100

Just took my new foster in for prelimiary bloodwork for neutering and dental. His rate was 60. Vet was amazed at the calmness being just picked up from the farm. The vet said he would be 40 at home at peace! The google says average rate is 60-100

Thanks for the info. I also Googled but after a while, reading so many sites makes my brain spin. I wanted to hear info from someone who had direct info from their vet. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. I also Googled but after a while, reading so many sites makes my brain spin. I wanted to hear info from someone who had direct info from their vet. Thanks again.

I hope those rates are for pulse not respiration! Normal respiration rate should be under 40 in a dog, typically 20-30. Normal heart rate in a large dog is ~60-100.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I hope those rates are for pulse not respiration! Normal respiration rate should be under 40 in a dog, typically 20-30. Normal heart rate in a large dog is ~60-100.

Good catch! Duhhh on me because I should have thought of this. Indeed, if a dog (or person) is breathing at that rate, they're in trouble.

I thought that was high too. I still check to make sure Ben and Brooke are breathing every morning :blush and sometimes it seems to take forever for their chest to rise.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Good catch! Duhhh on me because I should have thought of this. Indeed, if a dog (or person) is breathing at that rate, they're in trouble.

lol. Well, I am graduating from vet school in like 2 days (just have practical exams on Thursday left). ;) I guess I'd better know those numbers pretty well. hee hee.

I thought that was high too. I still check to make sure Ben and Brooke are breathing every morning :blush and sometimes it seems to take forever for their chest to rise.

OMG. Sometimes I go up to Summit when he's lying down/sleeping and talk to him or even touch him and he doesn't even move his eyes. And my heart stops for 2 seconds and I think "oh my gosh, he's dead" and then he finally takes a breath... or moves an eyeball. lol.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!