Multiple Corn Issue

Guest TinasTroops

Guest TinasTroops

I am posting my communication with Dr Couto in hopes others may also have some suggestions on how to help Day.

I wanted to ask you your thoughts on a Greyhound Corn case. I have a client that suspected her greyhound had 1 corn and was protective of the foot so ask us to be very careful when trimming his nails.

This Greyhound is EXTREMELY protective of his feet and will normally not allow anyone near his feet to trim his nails, so we decided to muzzle him. I was able to evaluate his feet and was surprised to see that he had not 1 corn but 4 or 5, 2 feet have 1 corn each and the 3rd has at least 2!

The issue is that this greyhound will not permit ANYONE near his feet to complete any of the application that may help ease or remove the corns, dremeling or hauling the corns would have to be under aesthetic. I have educated the owner on the corns and advised that hauling them will only be a temporary fix. This is along side a rear leg hock break that ended his career, which also has a sizable amount of calcification around the break, I am sure he also has arthritis in the area and is not on any supplementation.

So I am asking what you would suggest as a course of action to help Day with his corns?

Response from Dr Couto

Thanks Tina. Sounds like he will need drugs for any reasonable approach. We use butorphanoil/acepromazine, and if necessary, we reverse the ton. I would remove them, since he is so painful. Booties may help, but he may not wear them (i.e.; foot fetish). Tough case…

I would not do more than a one-digit neurectomy. SOunds like they are in different footpads,eh.

Anyone have any other idea or suggestions to help Day. Boots are not an option, he really will not let you near his feet!

No advice, but that poor, poor dog. :( Jack has a corn on each of three feet, but fortunately he is tolerant of me hulling them/putting various things on them.

I am not at all an expert on corns, but I have read (GT and the Yahoo corndog group) where a few dogs responded to antibiotics--azirthromycin and clindamycin were two that were mentioned. I would be tempted to try one or both of those with a dog who is so protective of his feet.

Lots of hugs for that poor corndog. :(

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Guest TinasTroops

In all my years Maggie, I have never scene a greyhound this protective of their feet. Had he not been muzzled the first time he would have bit Eric in the face!

Conversing with Dr Couto any applications would have to be completed under sedation.

I wonder if giving him bee propolis orally would be worth a try. I believe Xan had success with this, not sure how many others have tried it. It's the one thing I can think of that doesn't involve touching his feet, and it's not expensive. Poor pupper.

Yes, I heard of someone else giving bee propolis orally, and it helped. Definitely worth a try. That's what I am going to try next with Jack if the "Wart Ade" doesn't work.

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.