Obedience Training A Grey

Guest lfreem2

I've done several obedience classes with several sighthounds. They do learn differently, for certain.

I have learned that class is not the time to teach the dog anything. Repeat the command a couple times, praise like crazy, and that's it. Classes are MUCH too long and boring for dogs to learn anything of substance. Instead, they teach the human how to train the dog. Use short, positive sessions at home to actually do the training. This is especially true of dogs at a beginner's level. The more advanced they are in training, the longer you can keep their attention. But 30-45 minutes, the average length of classes, is far to long for any dog!

If you have a trainer that does not believe this strategy, find a different trainer. My trainer, also a good friend, employs this belief, and tells the class this the first week of every training session.

I totally disagree with this. It may be true for some dogs, but leading people to think it's true for all (or even most) is a disservice. I could have chalked up Neyla and Zuri's attention spans to your comment about experienced dogs, but Violet is in her first obedience class ever at 2 years old and she rocks out for the full 50-60 minutes. I've had absolutely no trouble teaching her new behaviors in class. Of course, one session on a new cue isn't going to be sufficient for the behavior to be perfect, but she's no less adept at learning new or working on existing cues in class than she is at home. I wouldn't train for that long at one time at home, but I think many dogs "get" very quickly what class is for and they're capable of staying focused throughout. If I ever do see one of my dogs losing focus, we just take a short break (go outside to potty or just sit and relax) or I ask for a simpler, well known behavior like easy targeting to get the focus back.

Selah & I just started an advanced class with the local Parks & Rec a few weeks ago. I say "advanced" since she already has most basic commands down (when she wants to, I should add), can "touch" a target, and is so good on lead (but not quite "obedience training" good! :rolleyes:). She will be getting her CGC certificate after this is over. I am hoping to eventually get her therapy dog certified--she shows great aptitude. There is only one other dog there (not including the instructor's hyper/silly/well trained Vishla), but we do it at a park (so I am unable to unleash her) and there are lots of kids everywhere!--either at soccer practices or on the playground. We are usually stuck right in between. Quite a stimulating environment! She does get bored (starts whining in the direction of the woods) but I try to just keep loving on her, etc. to keep her engaged. I am constantly having to readjust my expectations, since, well, since she's a greyhound :lol--at least for right now. She is one of few greys that does sit voluntarily, so that is awesome.

Our instructor does not have experience with greys, but is the type to think she knows enough (you know what I mean), so she is always generalizing about why Selah is doing something or not doing something. After the first class (and venting to my husband on the way home via Bluetooth), I decided to just get whatever I could out of the class and ignore the rest. Unfortunately for us, Selah is on a food trial, so she can only have her kibble and the corresponding dog treats, which doesn't lend to overexuberance on her part. I do take her there hungry (it starts right about the time she usually eats dinner) and that definitely makes her more interested in the treats. Interestingly she gets upset (or jealous?) when she sees the instructor's bird dog go running at the end of class as part of that dog's reward. Very frustrating for me, as usual, not to be able to let Selah go, but oh well. Selah will watch Gabby (the bird dog) running, ears up and neck stretched out; then when Gabby is called back (and she always comes back, of course), Selah growls at her and maybe even squeezes out a bit of a bark. And she has lunged at her once or twice. Never seen her do this kind of thing anywhere else--she is a little sweetie pie. I don't discipline her for it, just quietly walk her a few paces away until she calms down. She also gets afraid when the two dogs occasionally do some play bowing & stuff. I have learned to pull Selah away and stand in front of her as a protector of sorts.

Its worth it,as it gets Selah out in a different environment, gets some good dog-smelling in, and of course I can practice at home with her. And its not very expensive. It is amazing to watch the other breeds, particularly the Vishla, be so excited all the time and "up" for playing at a moments notice. You forget that other dogs are like that after having a grey for awhile. But I love the way Selah is and wouldn't trade her for a hyper/more playful dog ever! I hope to take her to an INDOOR agility training some time in the future. Greys sure are interesting, aren't they? :colgate

Wow, sounds like you've got yourself a winning instructor there. ;) I was in something of the same boat. Seemed like the instructor knew what she knew and when she couldn't address a different situation she just kind of said the wrong things to try to cover it up. So I requested to be bumped up to the next level with the owner of the school, which she agreed to (she gave me a week to work at home to at least get close to meeting the criteria to pass level 1) and we're much happier. I still don't LOVE the owner/new instructor - she strikes me as being very inflexible, you'll teach waht I want how I want and that's that - but Violet does so well that it doesn't much matter. We're just working on the stuff she wants and when we're done, we're done. We'll go back to the school that is much farther but that I know I love.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 1 year later...
Guest cbrundage

I want to thank everyone on this wonderful forum for the help and advice. My daughter and son-in-law are fairly new greyhound owners and they have benefitted so much from information you have provided. Lara is my "granddog" and I like reading what others do with similar problems or traits of these great dogs. She benefitted greatly from a "Fearful Fidos" class but isn't doing well in a class which involves obeying commands over and over. Reading that greys respond like this is reassuring, so we won't be pushing it. I had to smile at some of the dogs' reactions. Unfortunately, the instructor isn't very helpful so probably Lara won't go to that class any more.

Christina

I personally think that greyhounds are smarter than the average dog that will do the same thing over and over and over and over. When they "get it" they know they know it and feel they shouldn't have to do the same thing again, because it's boring. "Lie down, then just get up and do it over again? Why? I was just lying down, lady! Didn't you freaking notice?" and then they check out.

I can get Monty to do things, as long as we change it up in the middle so it keeps his little brain working. Not a sit, get up, sit, get up, repeatedly. Maybe a couple of sits, then a lie, then a target, then a wait in position (while I walk around him at the end of the leash), then a stand.... When he learned to like to learn, it was amazing how intently he would watch to see which was coming up next. It was like I was a bingo caller, and he was waiting for the next number to be called to show how smart he was and how quick he could do it.

How many sessions have you done so far? It took my dogs at least 2-3 to just get used to the room and the other dogs. We're on our sixth class with Truman (same venue) and after two classes, he's still getting used to this batch of dogs. My dogs shut down and stop taking treats when they're stressed, which may also be the case with your girl. Try to replace that with verbal praise, pets, or something else that she responds to. If you stick it out, I'm sure you'll see an improvement at the end. Also, I use hot dogs as training rewards, and I assure you, my dogs are in no imminent danger. ;)

This doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's original question, but I get upset when people write greyhounds off as 'untrainable.' My guys have done everything in all of their classes and passed their CGC/TDI tests with no modifications. Sometimes you have to be creative, but they really are no different from any other dog.

Guest KPS915

Our basic class was 7 weeks. Lila paced around and looked stressed out for the first three weeks, but passed her "final exam" with flying colors. Take it slow and take breaks when you need to - our trainervwould give tug breaks, which was hysterical because the other breeds would go nuts and there lLila was just chilling in her mat. We brought a mat or blanket for her to lay on. The freeze dried meat treats worked great for us as training treats.

Guest cbrundage

My daughter and son-in-law don't want to return to the same class - to tell the truth, we all had very negative feelings about the instructor's approach. But my daughter is going to go back to classes with a previous instructor who was not only very good but was a greyhound owner himself, so he knew. Lara did very well with him.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the OP's original question, but I get upset when people write greyhounds off as 'untrainable.' My guys have done everything in all of their classes and passed their CGC/TDI tests with no modifications. Sometimes you have to be creative, but they really are no different from any other dog.

:nod x a billion

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Agreed. Though to be fair I have a biased opinion because I specifically look for more trainable hounds. That said, they do still have challenges compared to other breeds. I have to sometimes get creative... more so with Summit than Kili. But that's half the fun. I kind of like the problem solving and "trouble-shooting" aspect of training. I do find too that they become more eager to train and figure out what you want the more you work and the stronger your bond gets. Summit is even more fun to train now than when I got him because he works even harder and with more persistence now. He doesn't give up as easily because he knows from past experience that I do have a point!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest psdirector

We had our second class with Hutch and Tibbs last night. Hutch whined on and off, but didn't make a move toward any of the other dogs and he pretty much did what I asked. DH and I both took turns working with Tibbs - the only thing he wanted to do last night was watch. He finally did a couple of commands toward the end. He wasn't interested at all in the treats, although he is treat motivated at home. Maybe next week Tibbs will get what class is for and decide to participate. It was like he just turned it off and I appreciate that there is a lot going on, although it is a huge warehouse-type facility with only 6 other dogs in class and the trainers put white barriers between the dogs to help with distraction and they are really far apart. The instructor suggested that next week we try coming early so that they can get the "feel" of the place before we start. We have been coming close to the start of class so that we don't have any encounters with high energy, fluffy, small puppies/dogs. The only other dog in class with any kind of size (not a fluff/ energy ball) is a Labradoodle. So far both dogs have watched, Hutch has whined a bit, but neither one has made any kind of move toward another dog. Several of the other dogs in class started a bark fest last night and Hutch and Tibbs did not join in. So I guess that's good, or maybe they still aren't sure what these other creatures in class are. lol

Guest Scarter55

We've had Lady in classes since the day she could join, at about 12 weeks, after she had all her shots. Now, I know this is a bit different than taking an adult Grey to a class, but she does have the same issues with being food motivated and reluctance to sit/repeat commands. We would often use a rotisserie chicken that we would pull apart the night before (super cheap at costco!) and that worked for quite a few months. She did tire of that though, and my wife came up with the brilliant idea of using a crinkly bag (so she could anticipate the treat a little) with a bunch of different special treats in it. This way, she never knows what treat she is going to get, keeps her more interested in the treats.

This point has been belabored a bit, but training classes are generally more for the humans than the pups. Ours always includes at least 2 play periods, where the dogs get to romp around the room with each other. This relieves the stress and pressure of obeying commands and helps get energy out. Lady has good and bad classes. At her worst, she just gets frustrated and whines because she wants to play, not sit for us. At her best, she can be the top student.

This point has been belabored a bit, but training classes are generally more for the humans than the pups.

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I definitely don't do training with my dogs so I can have fun socializing with other people at their classes. In fact, I don't particularly enjoy waking up early on Saturday mornings to go. But I do it for the benefit of my dogs, because it makes them happier, more well-adjustable, and more confident, knowing exactly what I expect from them. It also enriches their lives so they can go places and not be, as Krissy mentioned, 'house ornaments.'

Right now, I'm going through an issue with Truman. A few bad experiences caused him to start becoming leash reactive. I guess I could just write it off and say, that's just how he is, and we'll stop taking him anywhere. But I just refuse to do that. He enjoys going places, so we will continue working as hard and as often as we need to. That's 100% for his benefit, not mine.

Guest Scarter55

I'm not sure what you mean by this? Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly, but I definitely don't do training with my dogs so I can have fun socializing with other people at their classes.

Sorry for not being clear. Our trainer always stressed that the real training happens at home in 5-8 min sessions. She would teach us how to teach our dogs. Its like you learn how to do a math problem in class, but then have to go do your homework and practice it over and over in order to truely internalize it. The classes also give the humans practice in controlling their dogs with a lot of distractions around, not just in the living room.

That said the training classes themselves also do wonders for the dogs, particularly for socialization. And, as you mentioned, it sets them up to be real companions and go along with you whenever possible. We take Lady all over with us, and probably wouldn't have been able to without the classes.

Of course, all this is my opinion, I'm sure there are many viewpoints on training.