Soft Tissue Injury...any Experience, Thoughts?

Our Kare Bear has been diagnosed with an injury in her mid-back :( . Not certain how it came about as my other half gets home from work much before I do when the girls are most prone to being very overly excited. Tessie and Kare Bear often play very hard together in the house, charging up and down stairs like a herd of elephants, playing spinnies on the beds (we no longer own any nice bed linens!), and can just be maniacs sometimes.

It began over a week ago, Karey became very reluctant to go upstairs. We have a small tri level with 7 carpeted stairs to the second level, and 7 carpeted stairs to the upper level. It wasn't until a Saturday evening when she actually let out a squeak coming up one flight, so we had her into the vet the following Monday for a look see. After checking her over real good, and finding sensitivity to her mid back when she was pressed along both sides of her spine, we were sent home with a round of Rimadyl. That same evening while loping to me to come in from being in the yard, Karey screamed, stopped in her tracks and looked back at her rear leg which she had never done before. My heart sank being as we had lost our Lulu to osteo a couple years back at a young age.

Called the vet right away the next morning (Tuesday) and was advised to leash walk only and continue the Rimadyl. Two days later (Thursday), I got another scream, this time prolonged, followed by hunching and shaking…my heart just broke. Called the vet again first thing Friday morning, insisting something was going on which had me really sick to my stomach and she was admitted immediately for x-rays.

Many views were taken, her ankles, knees, thighs, hips, and ¾ way up her spine. All looks clear, no favoring of any of her legs, full weight bearing on all limbs, but still much sensitivity in the muscles along her mid back. The only slight abnormality is a little narrowing of one disk about where she is showing sensitivity. Changed med from Rimadyl to Prednisone, and recommended continued leash walk and rest. While talking to someone from our group, she suggests soft tissue injury with her behavior and symptoms. Given the way Karey and Tessie play together, it's a very strong possibility she could have lost footing and twisted herself somehow during running or play.

So we are treating as such. I have been researching soft tissue injuries online, and it looks like this could be a long recovery process. We are strictly leash walking, carrying upstairs, gating the stairs off so she cannot go up on her own, supervising play, and putting a lid on if there is any excitement. She is very confused because the whole daily routine has been totally turned upside down.

So.....given this background, have you dealt with a soft tissue injury? How long did the healing process take? Tips? Recommendations? Supplements to aid the healing? The girls are on a regular diet of 50/50% Taste of the Wild Salmon and Eagle Pack Holistic Large Breed. Evening snack consists of a handful of Core Wellness (they just think this is the cats meow!) They are also on Springtime Joint Supplements and Fresh Factors.

05/07 update: Kare Bear continues to improve. She is done with all meds, and continues to get carried upstairs for dinners and bed at night. When we are home, she and Tessie are gated off on one floor so there is still restrictions to allow her to continue to heal. We also have a nice new ramp off the back deck so if her "elevator" (Tim) is away for work, I can at least get her into the house on the second level without having to lift her. We took the girls to see a canine chiro (who also is a Reiki Master!) to get treatment. He was amazing because he found the disk which is giving her problems even without seeing her x-rays. (My own chiro can do that on me, and it always amazes me). Treatment was wonderful. It was very gentle and he was so good with the girls (we had Tessie done too as long as we were there). By that night, Kary was already getting a deeper squat while doing business. Today is day 4 post treatment, and she is very nippy again; happier than I have seen her in a while. She is play bowing, and being her goofy, vocal self again; definately feeling better overall. I was told to expect relapses between treatments as the healing process progresses until all the kinks work themselves out. Next treatment is 10 days away, and she will continue for as long as needed. This doctor is long past retirement, and travels many miles to our area every other week to do treatments on various patients. We are lucky to have been referred to him!

Edited by gryhnd_adoptee

If it was me I would go with leash walking for potty only for probably at least 3 weeks and then very slowly introduce a little more activity. I would honestly be unconcerned if it is only a soft tissue injury since that will heal. I would be very guarded about possible disc/spinal issues with her from now on. I lost my Cash to sacral spinal injury only ~12 weeks after the origiinal injury. All kinds of things can happen. It is my understanding that they can often actually heal and get well IF they are allowed to do so by very restricted activiity etc. Restricted activity is very unlikely to ever hurt them no matter what the problem is. However if it is a spinal issue and they get too much activity too soon it can quite simply be the end of them. (Be aware that she will very likely APPEAR to improve greatly and feel much better due to the fantastic anti-inflammatory rsponse from the prednisone but that does not mean that the original injury is anywhere near that well and she will probably want to do way more than she should.) Always better to err on the side of caution. JMO.

Guest trevdog

Acupunture here too. Ossie is currently undergoing treatments for his back as well and they seem to be helping. I'd look into it if you don't see some improvement soon.

• 1 month later...