Healing Amputated Toe

Guest akawow

Guest akawow

So I just changed her sock and it is all swollen. Not red, no oozing or signs of infection. Could this be caused by overdoing it yesterday??

Her appetite is still off- did your dogs lose weight during their ordeals?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it maybe could -- I didn't have swelling issues that I recall though so I dunno. The sock isn't taped on in a tight way that could cause fluid retention below, is it? Maybe worth a call to the vet? I forget, is she on any anti-inflammatory med like Deramaxx?

Beth never lost her appetite. I had to really cut back her food since I didn't want her to gain weight while she was on such restricted activity.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest akawow

she's on Previcox, which is an anti inflam. No, keeping sock on w/ vetwrap just tight enough to keep it on.

Whoa, are you saying the remaining toes were not greatly enlarged after her surgery??? or just that it didn't come and go as things progressed?

I don't recall the toes being notably enlarged -- except one time when the vet tried to wrap the foot tightly but leave the toes out, and they swelled up below the wrap (last time we tried that -- it was because of the abrasion problem on her toes from the wrap rubbing. We started leaving the foot unwrapped when she in her crate after that). I worried my head off about everything, so I'm pretty sure I would have worried about swelling if I'd seen it. There was just that one puffy lump of swelling on her foot above the amputation site that appeared at some point and lasted for a few months (visible when the foot was relaxed or curled back, not when she was standing on it).

Edited by PrairieProf

I'd have to say that swollen toes after a toe amputation are not normal. Especially not if the swelling has increased and it's now 2 weeks post-op. And part of the pad coming off is odd too. Definitely recommend a recheck visit to your vet. Given the initial presentation of the toe that was amputated, and the lack of a diagnosis, I'd even consider asking for an x-ray...

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest akawow

Vet said not to worry about the pad, probably just from trauma to the area during this whole ordeal. He also thought the swelling was within normal bounds. It does look much better today, and she is being much better about leaving it alone. She actually play bowed to me yesterday- the first I've seen for a loooong while.

Guest akawow

The majority of the pad is now off. It was seeming pretty concave, so I sent a pic to the oncology doc. She basically said -clean and dry.

Anyone have any tips on healing pads? Looks like 2 others may be getting ready to come off. Argh. If not for that I think she could be sock free (and would not need to be watched so carefully!), as the rest of the foot is looking great.

I would start a new thread on this so you can get people responding who have experience with that -- I've never even heard of it!

Glad the rest is looking good. Is Mermie seeming more comfortable putting weight on it now? And how's her appetite? I've been meaning to check in!

Guest akawow

Yes, she's even tried a bit of cavorting, but pulled up quick on her own, so it still must be tender. Her appetite is just back to ravenous tonight, I'm sure she's lost weight. But this pad thing is bad, she wants to lick it, and even if I can keep her from it, it sometimes sticks to the sock...May post a thread tomorrow. Thanks for all your support!!!

• 1 month later...
Guest chimni

Sofia lost a toe and is still healing from the operation last Wednesday :( We were down in ABQ for a few days, and when we came back, she was happy to be home in her yard again that she started doing super tight, very fast zoomies and wrenched the outside toe on her hind right side way out of wack. We took her to the vet ASAP and thought it would just be an issue of manipulating it back into place... so were totally shocked when we were told amputation was the best option. Poor girl. All things considered, she seems to be doing well, leaving her bandage alone, a little frustrated to be on leashed activity only... makes me sad, but it warms my heart to see her be so resilient.

833945804_photobucket_183354_.jpg

sofia.jpg