Want To Introduce Myself!

Guest kkaiser104

Guest kkaiser104

Hi everyone! My name is Katelyn and I'm a long-time surfer of greytalk. I'm a college student studying flute performance in Ohio and am beginning to look into adopting a greyhound. I've wanted one for as long as I can remember, and now that I'm moving out of the dorms and into a rental house this summer that is animal friendly I'm looking forward to being able to adopt one!

I'm very strongly considering Greyhound Adoption of Ohio--has anyone worked with them? I've been researching the different adoption agencies around Ohio (I don't mind driving to support a GOOD group) and this one has really stood out. They seem to work with a lot of college students and seem pretty easy-going and friendly. This is really important to me!

I'm looking forward to sharing this long round towards adoption with everyone on this group!

Hi Katelyn,

Great to hear you are looking to adopt a greyhound. I don't know anything about Greyhound Adoption of Ohio, but one thing I've found out over the years is that finding a group that will help you out after you bring your dog home is a big plus. It is amazing the number of questions that will come up.

Welcome to the wonderful world of greyhound adoption!

Guest DragonflyDM

Katelyn,

It is great that you want to adopt. I was just wondering-- (and please do not think I am discouraging you)--

1. Starting as new adoption of a greyhound is pretty time intensive usually. As a college student and such-- what does your schedule look like? Unlike other rescued dogs, these are like "the boy raised by wolves" senarios where your new family member will not understand to look at you for commands probably, will have never seen (stairs, windows, tile floor, a cat, etc), understand the new freedom, etc. A good adoption agency will help you with all that and give you resources to boot.

2. I would worry less about the agency choice as the right grey. I would hate to think that your perfect match is missed because you didn't like the temporary housing. If you don't like the group...find another group to partner up with later. Remember choosing your grey isn't about supporting a good group but adopting the right member into your family.

Guest kkaiser104

Katelyn,

It is great that you want to adopt. I was just wondering-- (and please do not think I am discouraging you)--

1. Starting as new adoption of a greyhound is pretty time intensive usually. As a college student and such-- what does your schedule look like? Unlike other rescued dogs, these are like "the boy raised by wolves" senarios where your new family member will not understand to look at you for commands probably, will have never seen (stairs, windows, tile floor, a cat, etc), understand the new freedom, etc. A good adoption agency will help you with all that and give you resources to boot.

2. I would worry less about the agency choice as the right grey. I would hate to think that your perfect match is missed because you didn't like the temporary housing. If you don't like the group...find another group to partner up with later. Remember choosing your grey isn't about supporting a good group but adopting the right member into your family.

1) My schedule isn't completely open, but I do have a good amount of free time. I do want to adopt the dog over the summer to be able to have a good 2-3 months where I'm not as busy and can devout the time to helping my new dog adjust. If it takes him/her longer then that I will continue to make the time necessary. One of my previous dogs (adopted by my parents, of course) was a siberian husky with a bit of an attitude problem. She was a retired show dog, and had never enjoyed the luxuries of living in a house. She didn't understand stairs, toys, or that you aren't supposed to get up onto the counters. I was a large part of her training, so I am looking forward to the challenge of bonding with and training a greyhound that isn't used to a lot of situations.

2) I agree with you 100%. One of the things I really like about GAO is that they seem to work with you to find the right dog. They have you fill out a survey and try to find you a dog that is most compatible with you. I don't mind waiting a few months for the right dog! And I really have no preferences as far as color and sex. I love dogs for personalities, not appearances! The only thing I need is a dog that is either animal friendly or can be trained to be so. As a student I can expect a few more moves to come my way during the dogs lifetime and I might have roommates with small dogs/cats. I think I would also like a grey that is not a puppy, but not a senior either. I like the 4-6 years old range. Again though, if I fall for the personality, I don't care how old they are!

Guest kkaiser104

Welcome from another buckeye! It sounds like you have a greyt head on your shoulders and have done your homework. Can't wait to follow your adoption process. Don't forget to post the pics! :)

I am a picture NUT so I can't wait to be able to post some pictures for everyone!!! I'm in Athens, OH (about 70 miles SE from Columbus) but am originally from Toledo, OH so it's great to see someone from Dayton on the boards! Do you have a group that you like to work with in Ohio, or any advice on meet and greets, etc. between Athens and Toledo?

Hi Katelyn, welcome!!!!!

Desi & I live just northwest of Columbus. Desi came from Team Greyhound. They were awesome about checking my lifestyle &

making sure that the hounds I WANTED to meet would be a good fit. Desi was...he'd been in a foster home & came to me

completely couch trained.

Best wishes for a sucessful adoption journey!.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest kkaiser104

Hi Katelyn, welcome!!!!!

Desi & I live just northwest of Columbus. Desi came from Team Greyhound. They were awesome about checking my lifestyle &

making sure that the hounds I WANTED to meet would be a good fit. Desi was...he'd been in a foster home & came to me

completely couch trained.

Best wishes for a sucessful adoption journey!.

I've been looking at Team Greyhound and I'm glad to hear that they helped you out so much! I do like that they would know some basic obedience...maybe that would be best for a first time greyhound mom? I definitely won't rule either out!!!

I fostered a greyhound and then adopted mine at the beginning of my third year of vet school. If a third year vet student can foster AND THEN adopt a greyhound during school months, any college student can (provided they are dedicated and have done their research of course).

I heard a lot of great things about Team Greyhound when I was in Ohio this summer.

Best of luck.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mom2hounds

Welcome Katelyn,

We adopted from GAO. They are wonderful. If you ever have a problem or question, all you have to do is call or email. Even though we are an hour and a half away, we try to help out as much as possible. We help with the meet and greet in Boardman, Oh. We also go to as many evens in the Cleveland area as we can. We have met so many new friends by becoming part of the GAO family and greyhound community. If you have questions, you can contact Susan the adoption coordinator. Her email is listed on the GAO website. She is very nice and helped us pick the perfect hound.

Good luck with your adoption.

Guest Angelique

(I was so NOT where you are when I was in college) That said, if your sure that's what you want, and it seems like you have thought it through, go for it!! Find the perfect hound! They are great dogs, and their "laziness" makes studying a breeze, cramming for midterms is not a problem, and taking them out for a nice walk around the block is always very helpful!

Remember:

1.-Lots of "pet friendly" housing, will only allow smaller dogs or cats. I have seen many places that list themselves as pet friendly but the max weight is 20 or 40 lb, if your lucky. That reduces your options. There is always somewhere that will let you stay with a 60-80lb dog, but your options will be less. (You can sometimes get weight exceptions when you start telling them how placid they are, and how they don't bark, couch potatoes... bla bla bla) Also "pet rent" is the new buzz word, anywhere from 10-50dls extra a month on rent for each pet in an apartment. Your security deposits may also be higher.

2.-Responsible pet ownership is expensive. Heartworm and flea and tick will be around 200 a year. Add in your dog food, and two vet visits a year, and *emergency funds* or pet insurance... its not cheap. (But hey, its better to be spending it on a grey than on booze or videogames).

Looks like you've thought this through. Best of luck on your adoption process. Hope you find your perfect hound. Why not chek out all the adoption agencies that service your area? Above all else listen to them, they usually have someone on staff who is a great matchmaker, and they probably know what they are talking about.

I'm excited for you. Don't foget to keep us updated and send us pictures!

Guest DragonflyDM

(I was so NOT where you are when I was in college) That said, if your sure that's what you want, and it seems like you have thought it through, go for it!! Find the perfect hound! They are great dogs, and their "laziness" makes studying a breeze, cramming for midterms is not a problem, and taking them out for a nice walk around the block is always very helpful!

Remember:

1.-Lots of "pet friendly" housing, will only allow smaller dogs or cats. I have seen many places that list themselves as pet friendly but the max weight is 20 or 40 lb, if your lucky. That reduces your options. There is always somewhere that will let you stay with a 60-80lb dog, but your options will be less. (You can sometimes get weight exceptions when you start telling them how placid they are, and how they don't bark, couch potatoes... bla bla bla) Also "pet rent" is the new buzz word, anywhere from 10-50dls extra a month on rent for each pet in an apartment. Your security deposits may also be higher.

2.-Responsible pet ownership is expensive. Heartworm and flea and tick will be around 200 a year. Add in your dog food, and two vet visits a year, and *emergency funds* or pet insurance... its not cheap. (But hey, its better to be spending it on a grey than on booze or videogames).

Looks like you've thought this through. Best of luck on your adoption process. Hope you find your perfect hound. Why not chek out all the adoption agencies that service your area? Above all else listen to them, they usually have someone on staff who is a great matchmaker, and they probably know what they are talking about.

$200 a year?? could you send me the links of where you shop? I just bought 3 months for my grey and two cats and that was $145. Boomer broke his tail and that was almost $800 to have it docked. Vaccinations this year were over $100. $45/month for pet insurance. Approximately $50-75/mo for food and treats (but of course, boomer eats a raw food diet). I am pretty sure it is averaging over a year to be just short of $200/month.

On the other hand...that is about one Starbucks coffee a day, or three soda's a day, or ten fast food meals, etc. If you want it bad enough, you can budget it. And a greyhound will be there for you always!!

Guest Angelique

I google lots of sites once a year, and i can usually find 12 doses of Frontline around 100, and 12 of Heartguard for 70. (This place has a sale on their generic that expires in July - 6 doses for $17 http://www.usapetexpress.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=40&product_id=60&ref=3853448 ) That is still 4 months away, and i would feel safe giving ivermectin a few months after the expiration date.

Edited by Angelique

Guest kkaiser104

Remember:

Thanks for the concerns! I specifically asked my landlord about a 80-100 pound (or less...I thought it was better to over estimate a little) greyhound and she said she was totally ok with it. I realize finding apartments in the future might be a little more challanging but I'm willing to handle that when it happens. And I've also talked to them about pet rent, and I just have to pay an additional security deposit when I bring the hound home, and then that will cover me until I move out of the house! And like I said (or maybe I didn't...), I'm financially secure. I have been able to save up a pretty penny between jobs and loan refunds, and I will be able to continue saving up money. I already have a fund set up with a few grand in it for emergencies.

I'm definitely not saying "no" to any of the agencies around here...I'm just looking for some input and other people's experiences.

Sounds like you've done all your homework and you'll make a great hound parent! We adopted from GAO and we were very happy with them. We needed more help selecting a dog than I anticipated - I thought there would be a magic moment with one of the hounds at the kennel but there really wasn't. Susan and Linda pointed us in the right direction after talking with them about our lifestyle, household, and expectations. They matched us perfectly! We couldn't be happier with our boy after almost 2 yrs. It was a little bit of a rocky start with some separation anxiety - which Susan from GAO helped us through with lots of info and also a stubborn case of hookworms - which she also helped us with. Lots of ongoing support from GAO. What I like best is they don't usually foster dogs - they come straight out of the kennel into your home as blank slates. That may be a negative to some people, but our boy adjusted quickly and we didn't have to un-do any house habits. Some people may think it's great to cuddle with your pup on the sofa, but others may not want the dogs on the furniture. Every home is different and ours is the only one our Cecil has ever known and I'm pretty sure he loves it :) Good Luck Katelyn!

Treasure came from Greyhound Adoption of Ohio. It is a fantastic group! You'll have to attend their Greyhound Fun Days in August. It's really fun.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

• 11 months later...
Guest neverminding

I wanted to echo the above positive comments about Greyhound Adoption of Ohio. We also had a wonderful experience with GAO and Susan. They were a wonderful source of support and information before, during, and after our adoption.

Vet insurance for my two Greys is about $200 a month..Yes, a month. I personally believe Greyhounds are about the most expensive (vet wise) dogs in the world. I would venture mine have cost close to $30,000 in the three years I have had them. Now, I did loose one to bone cancer, but he came to me with IBD and that is not curable, but sometimes is controllable. It was not with him. Just thinking that it is a very expensive breed of dog for a college student (A Roman Noodle kind of girl) to have. But, if you have millions in the bank....