Doesn't Really Like To Be Petted?

Guest zz00

Hi everyone, I just have a real quick question.. we have had Violet and Nelson for three week now and they are doing great. Nelson loves attention and loves to be petted but Violet on the other hand will wag her tail 24/7, lick you, and just generally seem pretty content all the time, but she does not like to be touched hardly at all. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks everyone.

A lot of females are that way. They want your attention when they want it. Some are very independent that way and it takes them a very long time to warm up. My first female Emmy was that way and it was almost a year before I could call her over and she'd accept my petting. When she wanted it though she was right there and when she'd had enough, she'd walk away. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest PiagetsMom

A lot of females are that way. They want your attention when they want it. Some are very independent that way and it takes them a very long time to warm up. My first female Emmy was that way and it was almost a year before I could call her over and she'd accept my petting. When she wanted it though she was right there and when she'd had enough, she'd walk away. :lol

My Piaget was much like Judy's Emmy. She loved to sneak up and give you "poke you in the eye" kisses, but affection was always on her terms, especially when she was younger. She'd allow you a very short period of time to sit next to her and rub her, or love on her, but she was up and gone quickly. She was an independent girl, and often in the front sitting room by herself.

I will say that the last year or so - for whatever reason - she became much more affectionate, and in the months before I lost her she would actually come over and lay down next to me for me to love on her. I remember remarking to my DH how much I loved those times, and I'm so glad she gave them to me to remember.

Violet may come around, but either way, you'll learn to appreciate her on her terms. :)

Guest BrianRke

Very normal! When Cleo, my first grey, wanted to be petted she would come and stand beside me. I would pet her for about a minute and then she would walk away. She wasnt a very "snuggly" girl but I loved her dearly.

The 3 I have now always want to be on top of me, sometimes thats great, sometimes not.

I am glad we all know we are talking about dogs and not "females"!! Because one could take this statement and run with it!!!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Normal! Like people, they are all unique. Also, give her some time. She may get more into it, or you might find her sweet spot!

LOL LadyGrey!

One of my guys has made me realize a few things about this topic. He loves love from me. He does not like to be touched by strangers. Well, neither do I so I can't blame him. I've always been respectful about petting did and stopping if they aren't interested. But because of Sailor I now wait until they show me they are comfortable being pet by me. I'm not sure why we assume all dogs want to be pet. I try to put myself in their place and I don't want random people touching and petting me or even people I love touching me whenever they feel like it.

I am glad we all know we are talking about dogs and not "females"!! Because one could take this statement and run with it!!!!! :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Oh yeah, can you see that thread? :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Booster loves attention anytime any place from almost anyone. But as we've gotten to know her and she's become more confident, she isn't as interested in getting attention from just anyone - it's more attention from me and then DH and then others she knows. She's still the one who goes towards strangers and introduces them to hounds. PK is really only interested in attention from me, and sometimes DH. Strangers leave her cold. And its been five months and only recently has she begun deliberately seeking out DH for some attention or restuing her head on him. She is a mummy's girl.

Women! :lol

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.