Indoor Spooks?

Guest DiforDan

Lol ok I must say love the get a third hound solution! If you just want them to be an inside dog and it works for your family that's fine!

We went through 5 vets in the years before finding our current awesome one. All vets are not created equal. I even had one tell me that I just needed to accept Sunshine for what she is and to build an indoor potty area. Because THAT makes sense for a 60lb dog in small apartment...

I'm sure there are people who think what I've done with Sunshine is abuse. It did stress her out! Situations still stress her out. There were times when she was HEAVILY medicated! 2mg of Xanax twice a day plus a heavy dose of long term anxiety meds. I regret not heavily medicating her earlier. I tried doing minimal meds and socialization first. Heavy meds and socialization would have been less stressful on all of us.

She's as close to normal right now as I could ever hope for. A trip to the vet isn't incredibly stressful for her. She can sort if keep her head around firetrucks, and other terrifying events that could happen in an emergency. Plus if she ever gets loose she has some hope of keeping herself together enough to listen to a recall. Not having to worry so much about that stuff is priceless to me.

------

Jessica

Guest DiforDan

nothing worth doing is "easy"...

Not being judgemental, but that was a saying that my dad told me a long long time ago and it seems so very true. Just think at life, when you have to work hard for something, it is usually worth it. The things that come very easy, not so much.

Actually that does sound judgemental to me.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

As I said, that isn't how it was meant. If you are taking it that way, then maybe its guilt you are feeling, and not understanding that what I am trying to say is something motivational, not something critical. And if you are in fact feeling guilty, then is that your subconscious telling you what you should be doing?

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Not having read all of the responses, but having at least read your posts, I will just mention one thing to consider, which is that insufficient stimulation (exercise, mental stimulation, etc.) can increase anxiety. Since he is older now, he may not have high exercise requirements, but I would keep it in mind. Do you have a fenced in yard where you can engage him in fetch, can you do obedience training to keep him mentally stimulated, could you consider setting up an agility course in your yard and working with him on that (these types of things help reinforce your bond and also build confidence).

I woudl also seek out a behaviorist who can work with you on medications (and find a vet who will work with you/the behaviorist on this issue) - Prozac may not be the perfect drug for him. He may do better on something like Amitriptiline or Chlomicalm or as you mentioned using Xanax or Valium short term for things you know will be particularly scary (fireworks on certain holidays, vet visits, etc.) may be really helpful in reducing his stress levels overall.

You may never have a dog who is able to go anywhere and everywhere without fear, but if you consider how much progress you've already made, you can certainly continue to make improvements. A behaviorist would certainly be a good asset in this case.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DiforDan

Well, we did decide to keep Slinky at home and get another greyhound to keep Pingu company on walks and meet and greets.

So far it is going great. Slinky still enjoys local walks as long as there are no bangs going on, but is still not keen to get in the car. He comes to the door to go out with the other two, as pack mentality is setting in now we have 3 dogs, but is happy enough to be taken back to the sofa with a couple of biscuits.

We took him outside to go in the car with the others but he was still very reluctant so we are sure we are doing the right thing.

Having the new dog (a girlie!) is giving him a whole new lease of life, he gets excited about her, is running and spinning around in the garden more, and his whole demeanour is very relaxed and elder-statesman like most of the time.

Touch wood, all 3 getting on just fine. Thanks everyone for your help. No guilt trips here.

What a wonderful update....congratulations!

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Just read this thread today for the first time. I'm so happy for you! (And just astonished by some of the posts.)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest DiforDan

Just read this thread today for the first time. I'm so happy for you! (And just astonished by some of the posts.)

Hmmmm....Me too. :eek

Unfortunately, after seven years of living in what we thought was going to be his forever home, after learning to trust his family, they have decided to return him because their lifestyle has changed.

:weep It just breaks my heart that now the family he has learned to love and trust don't have time for him any more :weep

Breaks my heart to think of that too! What possible lifestyle change can make you give up on a dog after all that time? Are they heartbroken too? In a situation they can't see a way out of? Surely people would not make such a decision lightly?

I'm getting mixed messages from the owner. I believe she loves the dog, but they recently bought a condo where they can't have the dog. Lots of life changes for their family. Just too sad. I pick him up this weekend.

Guest SusanP

Unfortunately, after seven years of living in what we thought was going to be his forever home, after learning to trust his family, they have decided to return him because their lifestyle has changed.

:weep It just breaks my heart that now the family he has learned to love and trust don't have time for him any more :weep

Breaks my heart to think of that too! What possible lifestyle change can make you give up on a dog after all that time? Are they heartbroken too? In a situation they can't see a way out of? Surely people would not make such a decision lightly?

I'm getting mixed messages from the owner. I believe she loves the dog, but they recently bought a condo where they can't have the dog. Lots of life changes for their family. Just too sad. I pick him up this weekend.

Can't get this out of my head. Maybe a GT thread about this guy could net him a nice, new, GT home? (I had to do a reality check, myself).