New Foster And Stairs

Guest mnblewis1

Guest mnblewis1

I have a new foster and he does not like the stairs. I have stairs in my house and he has to go down stairs to get into the yard. I have had to physically move him up and down the steps and he yelps like I am hurting him when I try to help him. He is not motivated by food and he does not like his feet to be touched. He does not walk on the leash either so putting that on to guide him does not help. Any suggestions?

Guest snowmo18

yes, all of our fosters picked up quickly by watching our boy do it (even though he does it in one gian leap..they still get the idea). Did you try just moving/picking up his legs one at a time for him on a level surface first before the dreaded scary stairs..this may help calm him and that you arent hurting him with the movement and he may allow you to do it easier once you attempt the steps.

Guest Trammell

This has always worked for me, and I know some people wont agree with my method, but here it goes: I pick them up and put them in the middle of my staircase and I sit down beside them. I gently move one of their paws at a time until they "get it". By being in the middle of the staircase, they HAVE to do something, and they always do.

Its never taken me more than a couple hours to train a dog this way but maybe I've just been lucky.

(Now that I've said this, the next dog I try this with will plant himself in the middle of the staircase and wont move) :lol

ok I stole the above out of the thread "teaching a new hound stairs" (or something similar to that) Since yours doesn't respond to food, and doesn't like his feet touched (which might make him more nervous) this may work. I hope that copy and pasted worked!

Guest mnblewis1

Update: My daughter helped me yesterday by holding his leash while I manipulated his feet. He didn't like it but it is what we did all day. Last night I had a dream that he was doing the stairs. He woke me up early wanting to go out to potty and he went right down the steps and came right back up. I think it will be easier for him once it stops raining and it isn't so slick. The bad thing about my house is to get out either door there are steps. Now we have to work on his fear of the bus. He walked to the bus stop with us and he walked really well on the leash. Thank God I put a harness on him. If I hadn't I would probably be out searching for him instead of being on the computer with him taking a nap by my feet. He is a sweet dog and very good with my 2y/o. She was on his head yesterday hugging and kissing him. He didn't mind at all.

is a sweet dog and very good with my 2y/o. She was on his head yesterday hugging and kissing him. He didn't mind at all.

This is a potential DISASTER waiting to happen.

I'm sorry. Had to say it. A two year old should not be getting that physical with a dog you barely know.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mnblewis1

I was sitting right next to them. I am not stupid enough to leave my child unattended with this dog. I am not getting thing done around my house or other things I need done because I supervise this dog every waking moment especially with my child.