Healthy Dogma Petmixes

LuvAPuppy

Has anyone used this dog food premix? I recently became aware of it and it sounds ok to me, but I can't find any independent reviews, just the ones on their site which of course are going to be favorable! Any experiences or thoughts?

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

At $10 per pound, you could probably just feed them steak! Seriously, $40 for a 4 pound bag?

And they don't say how much that one makes either! The PetMix is $16.95 for 2 pounds, adding 5 pounds of meat makes 16 pounds of dog food reconstituted. That's the one I'm thinking of. I priced five pounds of ground turkey today and it priced out at around $15. So tomorrow I have to do the math and see if 16 pounds of "canned" food at $32 is cheaper then all of those cans I bought at the pet store today (Mousie has to have her meds crushed in canned food).

Fort Wayne, Indiana

So I did my maths, and I bought 333 oz of canned food yesterday which I think equals 20 pounds for $55.40 minus tax. With my dog and the "foster" whippet I'm using a 13oz can pretty much daily. The Petmix that I'm looking at as a trial is 2lb mix that you add 5lb of meat to. The mix is $16.95 for the 2 lb and I priced ground turkey yesterday at about $15 for 5lb. So that came to $38.80 for 16lb including the tax and shipping from the mix website and the turkey with tax. I'm thinking it will come out a tad cheaper.

The parent name of the company is Birkdale Medicinals and they developed all of their foods and treats to support pets with cancer and hopefully help prevent it. I found more reviews under Birkdale than Healthy Dogma. Still hoping maybe one of you has tried it :blush

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest greyhound9797

That is a serious amount of money to spend on something that isn't even a complete meal. I feed raw and rarely pay over $1.50 a pound usually less than a dollar a pound, and that's for actual meat, not a mix. Can I ask what your goal is in feeding this expensive mix? For what you're paying, you could probably go out and buy all of those ingredients and pay less. $3 a pound for ground turkey sounds high to me but I know prices vary across the country.

That is a serious amount of money to spend on something that isn't even a complete meal. I feed raw and rarely pay over $1.50 a pound usually less than a dollar a pound, and that's for actual meat, not a mix. Can I ask what your goal is in feeding this expensive mix? For what you're paying, you could probably go out and buy all of those ingredients and pay less. $3 a pound for ground turkey sounds high to me but I know prices vary across the country.

My only goals are feeding them something healthy and hopefully cheaper then canned foods. They both get kibble, the Whippet eats it readily, Mousie not so much. Mousie has canned mixed in every meal, especially the two meals she gets her pills in. I had some Honest Kitchen samples but found that to be incredibly expensive, very close to the $10/pound like Susan mentioned about Birkdale's complete meal mix. I used to use the home cooked that I mentioned in the home cooked thread but I have no where to keep the crock pot safe from the cat for 48 hours.

Fort Wayne, Indiana

What are you buying for canned food? Something like Chicken Soup is usually @ $1.29/can, which would beat your cost by a bunch.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

She's on limited antigen. Poultry only, single or no grain. I buy a variety of Blue Buffalo Wilderness and their limited antigen, Wellness limited antigen, Castor and Pollux and Natural Balance. Her kibble is BB Wilderness Duck. She gets about 1/4 cup per day (Iggy) mixed in the canned. I've never looked at the Chicken Soup, I'll have to find a label and read it, it could be an option.

Fort Wayne, Indiana

If she can have chicken why not just supplement the kibble with fresh chicken? It only takes a minute or two to prepare a chicken breast.

I've done that before. Works well except she sorts out the chicken and it's hard to mix the crushed pills in. I do that when she's being particularly stubborn though and don't want her to get empty stomach sick. I keep some small chunks of baked chicken in the freezer. I can nuke them for 30-45 seconds and finely chop it and mix it in the canned to entice her.

Fort Wayne, Indiana