Lyme Disease Vaccine.....

Re the people vaccine: The genetic susceptibility thing was hypothesized and has not been substantiated even today.

Re pharma-run trials: Skepticism is always good. But, who else is going to run the first couple trials for things like this? No one else has the access, bucks, or incentive to do it until some ways down the road. IMHO that is what peer review is *supposed* to be for -- supplying the checks/balances for these types of studies.

Curiosity: Whereabouts are you that vaccines/office visits are so costly?

Agree on pharm-run trials, but as for peer review...there've been enough cases lately to expose how weak it currently is (Exhibit A is the doc who faked the autism-vaccine data and studies and got them through peer review in prestigious journals). Sadly, the system is broken, but I don't have an alternative except to stay cynical. ;)

The joy of SoCal, specifically a beach community. :blush Friends swear their vets are cheaper if we're willing to drive 45 minutes inland. There are two greyhound-savvy vets within reasonable distance. One I used to see and still love, but her prices were always more expensive.

The other (mine) was affordable until her clinic was sold to a younger DVM with an MBA three years ago. Prices for just about everything have doubled (it's now $52 to walk in the door, the Lyme was $38 the first two but $49 last year, plus needle-disposal fee). The other vet in my community is about 25% cheaper, but has no sighthound patients. Still, we're considering trying them out.

The Sunshine Tax goes up each year, it seems.

ETA: The diagnosis and doxy, by comparison, was a single office visit and a written scrip -- and doxy is cheap. Not the bloodwork, but sending it to Protatek yourself helps.

Edited by DunesMom

gallery_17468_3098_7486.jpg
Dash (Mega Batboy), & forever missing Kipper (RD's Kiper, 2006-2015) & Souldog Dune (Pazzo Otis, 1994-2008)
"..cherish him and give him place with yourself for the rest of his but too short life. It is his one drawback. He should live as long as his owner."
James Matheson, The Greyhound: Breeding, Coursing, Racing, etc., 1929

Yow. Just ... yow.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

What I'm hearing around here is half the vets treat regardless of level of exposure, the other half don't unless there are symptoms. I also know of pups who quickly went from appearing completely normal to ending up in icu for days. I guess what i don't know about it is what is the trigger that takes a dog from normal to very sick. Not sure taking the wait and see approach and risking serious illness is a risk I'm comfortable taking. Then again if I re titer in 6 months and get the same results, I' m not sure what I'll decide at that point either. Definitely not easy decisions.

Since one of the symptoms of Lyme disease is kidney issues, you might want to pick up the urine dipstixs for protein and just check your dog urine (first catch) once a week for any trace levels of protein in the urine.

Guest gomiesmom

My guys have had the vaccine twice now. No weird side effects - EXCEPT - my little petite female had a lump where the serum went in that took about a week to dissapate.

I got scared when the son of a woman I work with (kid is 4 yrs) had Lyme disease. She said the tick was only on him for a short time, and knowing her, I beleive that. So.... I got scared & had the 'kids' vaccinated.

We live in middle VA, so the threat level can go either way, depending on the year, severity of winter, etc. , PLUS - we have a ton of deer here as well. I still certainly treat w/ Frontline Plus 'cause ticks are nasty & Lyme is only one nasty disease they transmit!

Guest DragonflyDM

If you live in an endemic or expansion area, I'd get it. Decent map here: http://www.lymeinfo.ca/pet-ticks.aspx

If your dog came from Florida, then they may not test for Lyme because it is rare to get down there. But I tested my dog once I adopted him up in Pennsylvania and he had it. The rescue couldn't figure out how because they never saw a tick-- but then again, not seeing it doesn't meant it wasn't there.