Appetite Stimulate Suggestions Please.

Hollis

Guest greybookends

I do not know Norm's story. I have a suggestion but it is not one for everyone. I wouldn't use it on hounds that have sensitive tummies or who are in danger of being overweight but if they are not eating, this should not be an issue.

Bill as everyone knows is a notoriously picky eater. No health issues, he's just a picky eater and not food driven. It doesn't help that I am a bit of an enabler and tend to cater to him.

Anyway I have begun to keep a cup in the fridge that I keep meat drippings in. If I make a meatloaf I pour the drippings in it. If I brown up hamburger I pour the drippings in it. Anything I bake if it produces an excess juice or drippings I keep it and when dinner time comes around I heat it up and pour it over Bill's chicken and his kibble. It does not always work but it does increase the odds and it usually means he will at least eat the kibble even if he leaves the chicken.

Again this is not for everyone as the drippings are mostly fat and that can cause a problem for some hounds. I do not have any of those issues here so it helps.

I am glad to see he is eating some. i hope it continues.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lori thank you for the hint! Norm is back to normal!! Food is no longer an issue. We can even get his tramadol into him, hidden in peanut butter of course.

As for his story, I truly think the day before this started, I just worked him to hard. Brought him to work with me and after work brought him to Petsmart for a mani/pedi. So it meant 3 times in and out of the van and being kind of manhandled to get his nails done. I was with hi the whole time and rpthey were very gentle with him, but still, it was actions and movement not "normal". By the time we got home I had to kind of push him up the stairs. (not PUSH but stand behind him so he had support. If that makes sense). I just think he was sore and the pain made him not want to eat. Because he wouldn't eat I couldn't give him his deramaxx (could have given him his tramadol but I didn't know that) No meds meant more pain which meant he didn't want to eat so I couldn't give him his pills......

Once he got a shot for pain and a shot of Zantac and a shot to coat his tummy , and we force feed a couple of meals in to him, everything came back together. :)

He's my perfect grumpy old man again!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.