High Blood Pressure

Anyone have experience with their greyhound and High Blood Pressure?

We are currently treating our Duke for High BP so we can ward of kidney failure.

just wondering if anyone else is doing the same?

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke

Can you describe how the blood pressure was taken? Was Duke standing, sitting or laying down? Was it before, during or after an appointment? Anything unusual happening beforehand? How many readings were done and what were the variations, if any? How long has be been dx'd with hypertension? Assuming that all kidney/urine tests have been normal?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest KennelMom

Dogs can suffer from white-coat hypertension just like people do...we borrowed a BP machine from the vet to double check Stella's BP at home before starting treatment (she ended up not needing anything....the high BP was solely caused by being at the vet)...just something to consider.

I totally agree with getting some readings (at home if possible) when your dog isn't stressed. Also, greyhounds tend to have slightly higher blood pressure than other breeds.

If you really are dealing with high blood pressure, the blood pressure medications are typically inexpensive and few (if any) side affects. I had a whippet mix who was on enalapril for a number of years before she passed away at almost 15 years old. She never had any side affects. I did need to get her blood pressure checked from time to time to make sure the dosage was correct.

Jane

I will be following this topic with interest as Aquitaine has been diagnosed with high BP. Her readings have been ranging in the 160 range although the day the vet came to remove her recent surgical staples she shot up in the 180 range.

Can anyone tell me what the normal GH BP range is? I did an online check and found a couple of articles indicating 140-160 so when she is in the 160 range she is definitely closer to where we want her to be. She is currently on 10mg of Amlodipine a day.

She is about to start an Ace Inhibitor because the protein level in her urine is high. Some of that definitely seems tied to her recent surgery and weight loss as I was double feeding her to put back some of the weight lost at the hospital. Also, I was a little too quick getting the bowl under her and was much more "start stream" than "mid-stream". I am starting her on HiTor kidney diet and we will do another count soon.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack, just really interested in this topic.

Pearl was diagnosed with hypertension a couple years after being diagnosed with heart disease. She was put on heart meds and since her heart was looking good during a checkup,the cardiologist was concerned when I told her she seems blah. They took her in the back and did a BP. The cardiologist said that it was too high even for white coat.

Her BP was never under good control for the rest of her life. But she did live to be 12 and died of cancer.

She was on a plethura of pills. 21 pills a day (8 different meds). If you need norvasc, Costco has the generic for way cheaper than any drugstore. I'm talking $60 vs up to $400/month. She was also on phenoxybenzamine. Lasix. Enalapril. Vetmedin (that was strictly for her heart I believe). Digoxin. I can't remember the rest right now.

Her tummy did get a bit upset, and the only thing she would take her pills in was raw cooked chicken liver. (cooked on the outside, but soggy-soft rare on the inside)

I did consult with Dr. COuto and he said that a lot greyhounds do have idiopathic hypertension. (meaning, no known cause) And I believe him. There seem to be a lot of greys that die very suddenly, possibly from a clot or stroke. Hypertension does that.

It is very treatable though, so don't worry. Like I said, Pearl had hypertension for about 5 yrs, and succumbed to cancer. Just keep track of it. If it starts to get high, up the meds or add meds. It's very doable.

good luck.

Guest madredhare

My Tom takes enalapril for high blood pressure. He also has kidney disease. The way my vet explained it is this...it is kind of a vicious circle...kidney disease can cause the blood pressure to be high, in turn putting stress on the kidneys. My vet prescribes a 90 day supply of meds that I can get at a local pharmacy for $12.00.

Guest Energy11

My Curfew takes Enalapril for hypertension. He had a very bad (*what I think was a stroke) three and a half years ago. The vet here saw him about three months later. His EKG was normal, but his BP was high .... 200/120! This was done at three different times in her office. We both opted to put him on the Enalapril. I monitor his pressure, using an infant BP cuff, and doing his pressure by palpation (* a technique I learned as a paramedic). His pressures have been excellent since being on the medication, AND, he has had no more MAJOR incidents! :)) I also have him on 1/2 low dose aspirin, per Dr. Couto, as well. He used to have mini "episodes" which I called mini strokes, but, knock wood, he's not had any those for a long time, either!! :))

I think, just like humans, blood pressure CAN be controlled in these dogs, with the correct monitoring and medication.

Sending hugs your way, and wishing you good luck!

Scarlett was diagnosed with high blood pressure as well as cardiomyopathy. She was on Enalapril and Atenenol both which I got at Walmart for $4 per month. She died at age 12 from osteo :(

My Tom takes enalapril for high blood pressure. He also has kidney disease. The way my vet explained it is this...it is kind of a vicious circle...kidney disease can cause the blood pressure to be high, in turn putting stress on the kidneys. My vet prescribes a 90 day supply of meds that I can get at a local pharmacy for $12.00.

That is what Duke is on.

he just started taking it now twice a day.

did you notice that Tom was more needy and somedays just didnt look like he felt good?

that is what we have been experiencing with Duke

That is what my vet said...it is a vicious circle. just one we have to work with and deal with.

I feel so bad for Duke. I kinda know how he feels.

Thanks at least I know I am not the only one dealing with this issue.

In loving Memory of: 

Chip, Wendell, Tessa, Moose, Moody, Noble Storm, Thunder, Gracie, Duke