Licking?

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

Enzo does some licking, mostly of his hind legs and feet. Never for very long but he does do it. Our previous dog used to lick when stressed to the point of getting hot spots. Enzo doesn't seem to be stressed when doing it, but he has only been with us a week so life is a bit upside down for him right now.

He almost seems to do it more as a grooming action. Is this common to the breed or something I need to watch?

If he is licking his pads a lot, be sure to check them. If he just came home to you, and you are walking him on the streets, his pads may be a bit irritated.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry unless he starts looking a bit compulsive about it.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest mbfilby

All of our hounds groom like a cat. It's a greyhound thing, Mickey did it too.

Some greys lick as a soothing mechanism like a baby with a soother. They get into the zone and almost trance out. It's not so much a nervous/stress thing, more of a habit.

If it looks like grooming, it probably is.

Guest 4dogscrazy

Yup mine groom themselves like cats too, some more than others. I have a rule, after about 5 minutes I snap my fingers twice, even in the middle of the night, and they will stop. I do have one that will compulsively lick, so I do keep an eye on him. If the area isn't red, I let them lick. They really are the cleanest dogs I have ever owned. :)

Guest Charmedseed

AND we get the very annoying 'lick, pick' noises which I associated with cats as well. Usually at 2 a.m and accompanied by a crash as one of them overbalances and hits the wardrobe door.

I've been noticing this with Indy, too! I wake up to a bath occurring sometime about 4am, usually!

AND we get the very annoying 'lick, pick' noises which I associated with cats as well. Usually at 2 a.m and accompanied by a crash as one of them overbalances and hits the wardrobe door.

I've been noticing this with Indy, too! I wake up to a bath occurring sometime about 4am, usually!

On the up side, they don't usually lick us.

Guest Eyeblaura

Thanks, it doesn't seem obsessive and it isn't on his pads. Usually back legs and rump. He licks enough he gets slobbery and gives himself a cowlick looking butt sometimes. Glad to know it is fairly normal, and yes it is very catlike.

Guest 4dogscrazy

On the up side, they don't usually lick us.

A big plus in my book!

Guest MistysDad

Both my Greys do this on an occasional basis. According to my vet, there is nothing wrong with this as long as it is not obssesive or result in redness or other symptoms.

Guest jvandover

Both mine groom like cats. Quirk of the breed (and part of the reason we got Greys). One of them licks us, and she will also give a hug if invited to. She is so sweet :wub: