Thoughts On Tripp

Guest stacy6344

Guest stacy6344

So I've been leaving Tripp gated in the kitchen (my IG's crate is in there) and he's done really well. I went to WM for about 2 hours today and tonight went next door to my dad's for dinner. For the most part he lays down nicely. He paced a bit...whined a bit when my IG barks, but all in all pretty good. :colgate

My question is...when can I go from a couple of hours to a full work day with a break at noon? I don't want to do too much to soon and have setbacks.

Thoughts?

If he's done well for two hours then I would give it a go. If he needs your dad to come in to let him out to pee, fine. Soon that shouldn't be necessary either. good luck.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest verthib

So I've been leaving Tripp gated in the kitchen (my IG's crate is in there) and he's done really well. I went to WM for about 2 hours today and tonight went next door to my dad's for dinner. For the most part he lays down nicely. He paced a bit...whined a bit when my IG barks, but all in all pretty good. :colgate

My question is...when can I go from a couple of hours to a full work day with a break at noon? I don't want to do too much to soon and have setbacks.

Thoughts?

Try going up to 3 hours. Then eventually 4 hours with your dad coming at lunch. Do you leave a tv or radio on? That might help just to have some white noise.

Guest stacy6344

Yes I leave the TV on for them all day. I can do three or four hours on the weekend, but if I try this on a work day it's going to be an all day thing with a pee break at noon. So that's why I'm wondering...is it ok to go from two or three hours to a full work day?

Guest verthib

Yes I leave the TV on for them all day. I can do three or four hours on the weekend, but if I try this on a work day it's going to be an all day thing with a pee break at noon. So that's why I'm wondering...is it ok to go from two or three hours to a full work day?

Just speaking from my personal experience when I jumped to a full day too quick we had a set back. Can you work up to 3 hours then 4, then do a full day with a break at lunch? How long is your work day?

Guest stacy6344

Just speaking from my personal experience when I jumped to a full day too quick we had a set back. Can you work up to 3 hours then 4, then do a full day with a break at lunch? How long is your work day?

I can do that on the weekends. We are going to church this morning and then maybe lunch (depending on what they Skype camera shows after church!) so that will be about 3 hours. My workday is long. I leave at 7:30 and get home at 5:30. But my dad is here to let them out to have a break at noon and normally he does it a couple of times a day. I just want to keep on this positive trend. :)

Can your Dad do something around 11:00 and then maybe 2:30? Then eventually stretch that first one out to 12.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest stacy6344

Can your Dad do something around 11:00 and then maybe 2:30? Then eventually stretch that first one out to 12.

Yeah...I talked to my dad about it and he said he would let him out several times the first few weeks he stays at home. I'll probably still let him go to daycare a couple of days a week just because he enjoys it and I know he gets good exercise.

We went to church this morning and then to lunch...gone about three hours. I checked on him when we got out of church and he was a little whiny, pacing a bit. But he finally laid down and went to sleep.

So is it ok for them to be a little anxious while your gone? Whining and pacing? He hasn't destroyed anything or chewed the gate or anything like that.

Guest verthib

Yeah...I talked to my dad about it and he said he would let him out several times the first few weeks he stays at home. I'll probably still let him go to daycare a couple of days a week just because he enjoys it and I know he gets good exercise.

We went to church this morning and then to lunch...gone about three hours. I checked on him when we got out of church and he was a little whiny, pacing a bit. But he finally laid down and went to sleep.

So is it ok for them to be a little anxious while your gone? Whining and pacing? He hasn't destroyed anything or chewed the gate or anything like that.

My mom came in at 11:00 and 2:30 as well. Now we just do noon. Yes it's absolutely ok for them to whine and pace a little especially while they're adjusting. I forgot if you said you give him treat balls or a nylabone to chew on. I have my mom give them something at noon as well to occupy them when she leaves. Also giving him enough exercise will help tire him out a bit. We give a long walk every morning and evening, plus yard play time with balls etc. in between. You are doing great!!!! :)

Guest stacy6344

My mom came in at 11:00 and 2:30 as well. Now we just do noon. Yes it's absolutely ok for them to whine and pace a little especially while they're adjusting. I forgot if you said you give him treat balls or a nylabone to chew on. I have my mom give them something at noon as well to occupy them when she leaves. Also giving him enough exercise will help tire him out a bit. We give a long walk every morning and evening, plus yard play time with balls etc. in between. You are doing great!!!! :)

My dad will be working Mon-Weds this week so we may try leaving him home on Thursday and see how he does. Fingers crossed.

I give him a Kong stuffed with peanut butter, banana and kibble...he will take it for a bit, but doesn't really care for them. He has a couple of toys in there. And the lady that does our obedience class showed me these big bone things that are hollow in the middle and I tried that with peanut butter in the middle and he doesn't really care for them either. :blush :blush

Today was the first time he's been a little anxious when I checked on him with Skype. Not bad, but he was pacing and whining...makes me a little nervous!! But he laid down after a bit and was ok.

We have about an acre fenced in and we go out there an play and run. He will do some zoomies and play with my IG. We live out in the country and there are loose dogs everywhere...which makes me so mad. But it also makes me very leary of walking down the road. I've been aggressively approached by several of the dogs on this street just walking myself.

Guest verthib

My dad will be working Mon-Weds this week so we may try leaving him home on Thursday and see how he does. Fingers crossed.

I give him a Kong stuffed with peanut butter, banana and kibble...he will take it for a bit, but doesn't really care for them. He has a couple of toys in there. And the lady that does our obedience class showed me these big bone things that are hollow in the middle and I tried that with peanut butter in the middle and he doesn't really care for them either. :blush :blush

Today was the first time he's been a little anxious when I checked on him with Skype. Not bad, but he was pacing and whining...makes me a little nervous!! But he laid down after a bit and was ok.

We have about an acre fenced in and we go out there an play and run. He will do some zoomies and play with my IG. We live out in the country and there are loose dogs everywhere...which makes me so mad. But it also makes me very leary of walking down the road. I've been aggressively approached by several of the dogs on this street just walking myself.

Maybe he doesn't like PB. Try putting dry kibble or treats in the kong. We have a lot of dogs on our street including two dobies that are rarely leashed or tied. They have come running and barking aggressively at us. We have leash laws so I called animal control. They got a ticket and now they keep their dogs on a run (most of the time). Are there leash laws where you are? I'm in the country too, very country, and we have those laws, thank goodness. It's nice that you can check on him via Skype. We just bought a Foscam so we can see ours over the Internet. I still need to hook it up though. Take care!