Diarrhea And Vomiting

Guest jvandover

Guest jvandover

Lovie has not had a good past couple days. Let me explain:

Thursday night:

My roommate takes her out on a walk (he beat me home) and informs me she has diarrhea "Like soft serve"

We find that she peed ON the couch (a couch she isn't allowed on, and she know it so that was very odd to me)

I take her out later in the night, and she tries to poop 10-12 times. She is only successful in getting a few squirts out.

Friday morning:

My wife takes her out, and she tries to poop with no result. She feeds her a little bit of rice (1/4c maybe?) and some warm water.

Friday afternoon:

Other roommate comes down (yes, I have two) and finds she pooped a little on the carpet, and vomited in her crate, and a little bit a few feet from her crate. He cleans it up, I am unsure of the consistency. I get home a couple hours later, walk her and she tries to poop more. I do NOT feed her dinner, wanting to fast her. She goes out a couple more times in the evening, mostly no luck pooping, but on one squat she poops out a small amount (maybe a 1/2c) that has some form, kind of gelatinous, may contain mucous. She, by the way, is drinking a little, not a lot but she isn't a big drinker anyways.

Sat morning:

Wife walks her, no luck pooping (not surprising at this point, hasn't eaten in awhile) Lovie comes in and vomits bile on the carpet. I believe this is caused by her NOT eating, so I am not too concerned. Wife feeds her warm water, chicken broth, and a couple tablespoons of rice, around 9am. She gets walked a few more times, no poop. Around 12-1pm she gets fed more water, broth, and rice, and a little bit (1oz) of boiled chicken breast. She gets walked a few more times, no poop. I get home at 6:30pm, walk her, no success at pooping, and feed her more broth, rice, water.

That is where I am now. When should I be expecting her to poop again? Anything else I should consider? At first I was concerned about a possible blockage, but since she hasn't thrown up, isn't that ruled out?

Any support here would be nice, as I have already been worrying about Chad's tail the past couple of weeks, and this is just piling on RIGHT before we are leaving for vacation.

Guest jvandover

How is her energy level? Is she lethargic?

If I hadn't seen the poop and vomit I would never know she is sick. She was bounding around happy to see me when I got in.

I might try and give her a small meal ( her normal food) since she's not vomiting any more and see if that doesn't get things moving so to speak. If she's still not producing by morning or starts vomiting again I'd have her seen by a vet.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jvandover

New development. She spit up some water and rice that I just gave her in 2 different spots. I say "spit up" because it is basically a few grains of rice and a wet spot. It smells and looks like just water, no bile or anything.

Confused. :huh

How is her appetite?

After this many days I would be making a vet visit.

When we have been giving her the rice (today) she has been eating it right down. Also yesterday when she was fasting she seemed hungry, but I thought it best not to try any food.

I have one who when he drinks a good amount of water will spit some up from time to time. It could be she's spitting up the broth because she's had a lot to drink. If you are really worried, a visit to the vet might be in order.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest jvandover

I have one who when he drinks a good amount of water will spit some up from time to time. It could be she's spitting up the broth because she's had a lot to drink. If you are really worried, a visit to the vet might be in order.

Yeah... I guess I will stick with the rice for now and see how she is in the morning. I also suppose I cannot really expect her to poop until tomorrow sometime.

Guest Geostar

I agree! Hoping and praying that something will be found. I once had a Min. schnuazer which threw up 40 times! I know 'cause I counted. She had pancreatitis.. God speed in learning something..

Guest jvandover

Maybe I am wrong but I don't find it all THAT serious, yet. If she is still sick tomorrow I will certainly take her in, but as it is she had a lose stool one night, I fasted her the next day, and the day after (today) she is on a rice diet. The only hiccup today has been the spitting up of a bit of rice, which leads me too...

An update.

I have fed her a little rice with less water (a lot less in truth) twice since I last updated, and she has been fine after both "meals". I think "Jillysfullhouse" may have been right that too much water too fast caused the spitting up. If she makes it through the night okay, I will continue with the rice tomorrow. If she gets sick again, or does not poop sometime tomorrow, we will head straight to the vet. Thank you all for the concern, and I do appreciate all the suggestions, and welcome others if anyone has any.

Hopefully Lovie is doing better.

It's hard to tell how much Lovie has eaten over the last few days and whether the vomiting is serious. One of the issues that you run into is that a dog starts to get dehydrated with diarrhea and/or vomiting and then minor issues can escalate and become more serious.

One rule that I follow is that if a dog has diarrhea I give it about 3 days with a bland diet of rice and hamburger (chicken and noodles works too) before I go to vet. If there is vomiting in addition to the diarrhea then I still do a bland diet but go to the vet in two days. If there is blood in either the vomit or diarrhea, then I go to the vet immediately.

If you end up resorting to not feeding the dog so they don't throw up then I think that warrants going to the vet immediately.

Guest jvandover

Lovie is much better this morning. Running around full of energy (more than usual) and wanting to play with her toys. I took her out, and she had a small poop that was shaped, but not exactly firm. I don't believe this to be alarming given that she hasn't eaten much. She ate a breakfast with warm water, rice (more than yesterday) and an oz of chicken breast. I will continue the rice/chicken throughout today, and hopefully whatever she had is past. :goodluck Any more vomit/diarrhea will definitely land us at the vet.

Regarding post #1: the mucousy stuff in the poop, we've had it here from time to time when someone has an upset tummy. Could be from an irritated colon. Usually resolves on its own.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png