Ace Has Me Scared

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sending many good, healing thoughts and prayers that the Pred is to blame!! And hoping Ace's tail can wag after a break from the Pred!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

We had a tough night-now, Ace is crying out when she moves while laying down. I don't know if it's her leg, or if her neck is bothering her too. Just a moment ago she just moved her head's position on her pillow and she cried, so it seems like this is traveling.

I have a call in to the vet we saw Saturday to tell him it's getting worse. He's in surgery, so I left a voicemail. Because of the whole referral agreement issue (see thread re: Vet's Offices), it's hard for me to just make an appointment to have her seen, and our current vet isn't answering the phone-it just rings and rings. So, I left Dr. Less a lengthy and panicky voicemail that I don't know what to do and could we please get Ace in for some bloodwork and maybe an X-ray. He usually does his big surgeries first thing, so he may be in surgery for a couple of hours. Pinky has a blood draw scheduled for 12:30 today, it would be nice to just take them together.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Have your vet check her back, particularly in the lumbar area.

When Echo hurt her back, I thought it was her leg. All of the pain appeared in her rear left leg. Turns out she was experiencing sciatica. Acupuncture, chiropractic and a short course of Deramaxx, and she was good as new in under two weeks.

Sending prayers for Ace. :(

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

I have poked and prodded every bone in her body and I don't get any kind of a response from her at all. Once she stands up, she holds it up because I think it cramps, then once I get the muscle to release, and she walks it out a little bit, she will walk on it-she's tentative with it, but she will use it.

I've given her some tramadol and I'm putting ice and heat on her thigh. Still haven't heard anything from the vet. :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

She is a little bit better this evening. She wouldn't eat any of the banana I bought for her (Pinky and Fritz sure liked it though!), so she got some potassium pills. I can tell she's sore, but at least her muscles aren't locking up on her anymore.

She ate her dinner and accepted cookies and carrots earlier, so I'm cautiously optimistic.

I woke up this morning to find Ace shaking next to me in bed. I got her out for a quick potty and she ate breakfast and went back out.

I need to get her in for X-rays and bloodwork. There is something else wrong here-I don't think she would make this big of a fuss over a pulled muscle when she was flying around the yard like a maniac after having a huge tumor removed from her thigh, while her leg was completely wrapped from toe to hip. There is something bigger going on...and I'm worried.

Got an appointment at 10 for her...I hope we can figure out what's going on!

Oh, Kristen--I'm just seeing this now and thinking of you and Ace. Prednisone gave Wizard horrible muscle spasms in his head that caused him to cry out. That stopped when we got him off of the prednisone.

As for surgery on the little tumors that have popped up, could the vet use graft tissue to cover over the incisions, since there is so little skin to work with on a leg?

We'll be keeping Ace in our thoughts here. Susan

Edited by SusanP

Crap. Dr. Bahns got a slight pain response in a specific spot on the femur. Buried in the muscle and I didn't poke super hard in that area since it seemed like her muscles were spasming.

She's in back having X-rays right now.

X-rays clear!!!!!! We're doing some bloodwork. Ace has always been one to send us on a wild goose chase for diagnoses...this round is apparently no different.

Good news from the x-ray...hoping the vet can get to the bottom of this quickly. What did they say about the prednisone?

Edited by SusanP

Bloodwork showed us nothing except that everything is perfect...which is good, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't move us any closer to finding out what's wrong.

We did discover another little bb-sized tumor on her belly-will be discussing possible removal of that and the other little tumor on her leg with Dr. Less.

We don't think the pred is the culprit. We're leaning towards a muscle or ligament injury. If she's not better by Friday she wants to see us again.

Edited by krissn333

She was poked, prodded, and manipulated in just about every way possible (she even got a rectal exam to check her anal glands)...I thought maybe her neck too, but, it's also been manipulated and she gave no indication that's a problem.

It's so sad for her not to be wagging her tail. I did get a wag out of her last night when I was handing out cookies, but it was brief.

She was just laying on the love seat flat on her left side. I asked her if she wanted to go out - she started to lift her head and then put it back down, and started to shake all over. I walked over and lifted her head ever so slightly and she SCREAMED, got up and off the couch, and was holding up her right rear leg. While she stood there holding it up, I tried to touch her right thigh and she screamed again, just when I touched my finger to her skin, I didn't even push.

When she is standing, I'm unable to get any kind of a pain response from her when I manipulate her neck - Dr. Bahns couldn't get anything either.

We have the number of someone that does acupuncture and chiropractic. I called and left a message but she is in the process of moving her practice back here from Rockford, so she is back and forth at the moment. I don't know if she's in her office today, or if she's in Rockford.

My head hurts now because Ace's piercing scream went straight into my ear :blink:

She cried moving her head a minute ago. I got her standing up-I can't turn her head laterally to the right-she screams. It IS her neck.

I think she was so tense at the office that we didn't manipulate her neck fully. Now that she's been home and had a fresh dose of muscle relaxer, she's relaxed enough that her head will move far enough to cause pain. I know that sounds backwards, believe me.

I don't think chiropractic would do much right off the bat-might need to do acupuncture first and keep working at it.

What a rollercoaster of a day! It's not over yet, but I'm starting to think maybe now we're on the right path.

Have they done an x-ray of her neck? I would want that before a chiropractic visit. Hopefully it is just severely tweaked muscles and not a disc.

But I do have to say in addition to "poor Ace", poor You! I am so sorry that you are dealing with Pinky's osteo, Ace's leukemia and soft tissue cancer, and now this.

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom