Heavy Drinker

I am dogsitting for my friend. One of her dogs is about 10 years old, female, and she is a heavy drinker. She will drink half the two quart bowl of water if you let her. I know this, so I don't allow her unlimited access to the water. This, however, isn't really fair to the other dogs--her other two, and my one--not having water available.

AFAIK, she has been like this since they adopted her (she was around 4, I believe). If you tell her, "Enough!", she will stop drinking, but you really have to watch. Of course she has the occasional accident in the house as a result--last night she peed in our dining room. :( I've been watching her like a hawk today, and only giving her water occasionally. She does still occasionally pee in her own house, too. Just a few weeks ago my friend told me that she STILL doesn't trust this dog.

Obviously, this isn't ultimately MY problem, but it is for this week.

Any thoughts?

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

How's her appetite? Drinking a lot of water like that is also a symptom of Cushings.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I am truthfully not sure if her 'mother' has questioned the vet about this or not. I intend to ask her, though.

Judy, what are others signs of Cushings, do you know?

Increased drinking and urination are the most common. Increased appetite, anexoria, hair loss, Increased panting, muscle loss are some of the other symptoms. Emmy drank a ton as well as urinated a ton, she was anorexic and lost a lot of muscle as well as her eyesight.

All of these are symptoms of Cushings. Dogs can have any or all of these.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Her appetite is good. She is a member of the Clean Bowl Club. :lol

She does not have hair loss, muscle loss, or anorexia. No large abdomen either.

I got an email from her 'mom', and I emailed her back that I thought she might want to talk to the vet about the water intake. She thinks it's 'psychological'. Not sure if I'd agree with that.

Edited by rascalsmom

Guest Geostar

Ever since one of my greys began drinking a lot of water and have had some problems, I'm leery about anything being in a dog's head.

Tick borne disease and also Addison's Disease can be a problem when a grey drinks a lot and then urinates a lot. Blood work can be checked out, and a dose of Doxycycline might help. I'd ask her to ask her vet about it..or get another opinion. Drinking of lot of water isn't 'normal'..for either human or dog! However, best wishes with your friend's dog..and know that the rest of us are behind you..

=star

There is a condition in dogs called psychogenic polydipsia where the need to drink is "in the dogs head", so it is possible. It is a diagnosis of exclusion, so the long list of medical problems that can cause excessive drinking/urinating would need to be ruled out first. Has the dog always done this, or is it a new thing? You do want to be careful about limiting water in a dog that potentially has a medical problem that needs the excessive water--I wouldn't recommend restricting it until at least some initial tests were run.