Update On Urinating And Drinking A Lot

Guest Geostar

Guest Geostar

Well, I took Maria to our vet, who is a regular vet, holistic vet and also chiropractic vet. I also took a sample of Maria's urine. The urinalysis was done and..it was very diluted. Despite her drinking water, Maria is a little dehydrated, too. So, blood work was taken..and some things are going to be ruled out like: tick borne disease! It was suggested to place her with three meals a day as her weight is down, too. As she was a return grey from another couple, I had learned that they didn't use any flea/tick preventative on her as they stated that "she didn't have any!"

I don't know what we'll find out..but, I do hope something will be found. I have another appointment to see the vet this Saturday. Also, her left hip was out..Will keep you all posted..

-star

Glad the vet is on top of things. Hopefully something simple that can be easily fixed and she's right as rain soon!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greytkidsmom

Sounds like us -

5# weight loss in 6 months

empties a whole bowl water in a minute if you will let her

had to get a new rug because of all of the puddles she made

dilute urine, elevated kidney values, only a couple of bacterial rods in the urine

we treated with antibiotics for 2 weeks

urine more concentrated, no puddles yet on the new rug, a little better with the water

will have urine rechecked in another week

Hopefully it is this simple for you.

i'm reading all of the comments, tests, evals, similar thing here w/ felix- he clinically reads normal?? :dunno . it seemed as if he started drinking normal ammounts for a while, back to peeing and drinking! things cleared up after some antibiotics, urine's gravity, basics are normal...but this is strange. i'm waiting to see if there is another incident since they are sporatic and then send another sample out....will mention tick borne disease to my vet, but he has never been out of the ny area, he never raced. go, know :huh2

i'm reading all of the comments, tests, evals, similar thing here w/ felix- he clinically reads normal?? :dunno . it seemed as if he started drinking normal ammounts for a while, back to peeing and drinking! things cleared up after some antibiotics, urine's gravity, basics are normal...but this is strange. i'm waiting to see if there is another incident since they are sporatic and then send another sample out....will mention tick borne disease to my vet, but he has never been out of the ny area, he never raced. go, know :huh2

One of mine was never out of the Midwest but just now tested positive for Lyme! He was previously positive for Babesia, which wasn't such a huge surprise. I'm starting to think all GH's should be tested for TBD's!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Geostar

Well, Maria is still having 'blow out' bowel runs..just nasty stuff all liquid. With the urination problems plus her bowels being messed up, no wonder she is a little dehydrated. I hope to take her back to the vet this morning as I'm hoping some tests have come back. I wonder: could this also be a sign of thyroid conditions?

I'm sorry to learn of the previous hound which has had tick borne disease.. Hang in there..thoughts and prayers are there for you..

It does not surprise me that Lyme disease was found in the midwest. Let's face it, so many people travel with their dogs, and I do know of some people who don't even use any stuff to prevent ticks. The deer tick seems to be everywhere and is a good culprit. With this winter not being good thus far here in Oklahoma, there may be a new 'crop' of fleas and ticks.

Any weather concerns elsewhere?

=star

Not symptoms of low thyroid. If you were giving her thyroid medication, could be symptomatic of overmedication.

Sometimes dogs will drink a lot because tummy is upset. Is she getting any meds at the present?

I would probably repeat the urinalysis with a first-of-the-morning urine sample, assuming she doesn't have free access to water overnight. If the sample is very dilute, it can be really hard to tell if there's anything unusual (bacteria, etc.) in it.

Best luck with your pup!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Geostar

Thanks for your note.. As for low thyroid, perhaps not. No, she isn't on any meds as she does not take thyroid medication. I doubt that she has a urine infection as this problem did clear at one point and her urine was normal, then reversed itself. She was checked for tick borne disease, but, those titers are not exactly accurate; the blood work will tell if that is a problem.

I'll take her back on Monday to find out what should be done.. For now, she eats and drinks well.

-star

Guest Geostar

Well, no..no one has ruled that out yet. Maria is still having yellowish runny stools and a little gas this morning. I hope to see the vet to find out what the tests do show and take this yucky sample in. Golly,..we hope it is a simple problem! Thanks for your concern though..

-star