Having Accidents Indoors While Visiting My Parents

To give a little background information, I have six weeks off while my students are on winter break. My hound and I took a roadtrip north to spend a month with my family. We are still enjoying our time in Wisconsin, and will be returning to Virginia on Sunday.

While we have been staying at my parents house, she has had 5 peeing accidents in the house. I adopted her at the beginning of last March, and the only time she had an accident was on the second day, when she walked from one end of my apartment to the other, marking her territory. Other than that, she hasn't had a single issue until these past four weeks.

I already ruled out a UTI. I had kind of thought that she didn't have any kind of infection because she still goes 10 or more hours at night without a potty break (her choice, not mine, she is not a morning girl, and will usually resist getting out of bed until 8:30am) and doesn't exhibit any urgency, but I wanted medical proof to know for sure.

We have kept up with her regular walking schedule, as well as her potty breaks. Her accidents have usually occurred in the late afternoon or evening when both of my parents are back home. Because she is still "new," could she still be stressed out by the extra commotion? Although she's shy, she's been getting along great with my family, has been eating well around them, and even initiates play with them. The weird thing is that when we visited last summer for three weeks, she didn't have a single accident while we were here. Could it be that she is more resistant to the cold weather in Wisconsin, even though we put a coat on her when she goes out?

Any advice you have would be most welcome! My parents have been really calm about it, which has been helpful, but I really wouldn't trust bringing her into anyone else's home at this time. I am also worried that when we go back to VA she'll continue this behavior. Please send me any suggestions or ideas!!

Laura, mom to Luna (Boc's Duchess) and Nova (Atascocita Venus).
Forever in my heart, Phantom (Tequila Nights) and Zippy (Iruska Monte).

New place, extra commotion are likely. Take her out more often :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

could be the stress/commotion. Maybe she's not entirely voiding when she does pee outside b/c of the weather or other distractions. Plus, dogs are really not good generalizers so some of them don't really get that "don't pee inside" applies to ALL homes, not just their own. Whenever a take a dog to a new place, I always approach it as house training 101 all over again.

Edited by KennelMom

Nope, there haven't been any other dogs in the house between our visits, so I don't think she's being territorial.

We've been going out every 2.5-3 hours during the day, and also right before I know someone will be coming home just in case their arrival causes extra nervousness. Perhaps I should be taking her out more often than that? It's just such a sharp cry from her staying home while I am at work without an issue.

I've reverted back to carrying a pocket full of treats and praising her excitedly and giving her a treat for going in the proper place. We'll continue to work on it when we get back home, and hopefully she'll go back to her house-trained self within time.

Summer does the same thing at her grandmother's condo. But only if we leave her alone and do something like go out for lunch. I never figured it out. But it was consistent enough that grandma got the carpets professionally cleaned and I now keep a crate over there!

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I'm guessing she'll go right back to her old routine once she's home with no issues.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest mcsheltie

Watch to see if she isn't drinking more. I have two dogs that drink more when stressed or excited. And what goes in... you know the rest of the story!

could be the stress/commotion. Maybe she's not entirely voiding when she does pee outside b/c of the weather or other distractions. Plus, dogs are really not good generalizers so some of them don't really get that "don't pee inside" applies to ALL homes, not just their own. Whenever a take a dog to a new place, I always approach it as house training 101 all over again.

I agree with this post - your dog is probably house trained to your house and doesn't see your parents house as a "house" too so, you'll need to do house training 101 again. Whenever I have greyhounds visit here and they have never been here before - I watch them like a hawk because they are going to sniff and they just might pee. Usually just takes one or two corrections and they understand.

Thanks for the responses! I am making sure that I am the only one giving her water so that I can keep track of her intake. Perhaps she is drinking more since it is so dry here (I know I sure am). We are also putting a lot of effort into keeping things low-key, for example, I am now entering the house a few minutes ahead of everyone to get her outside before they come in.

I hadn't realized that house training her didn't mean she'd be house trained everywhere, but that makes sense. It is a little weird that she was here for three weeks over the summer and never had a problem, but this time she has decided the house can be a toilet. The difference is that the last time she was so timid that she mainly stayed on her pillow in the corner. This time around she has been much more adventurous and playful, so perhaps her tenacity has put her in more situations that are nerve-wracking to her. I guess it's another one of those situations where I wish I could hook a radio up to her head to hear what she's thinking :unsure