Hill's J/d

Guest betheab199

Guest verthib

But a "cheap filler" that's more nutritious in some respects than sweet potato (and certainly more nutritious than potato fiber). Okey doke.

LOL. It's not more nutritious than sweet potato at all in my opinion. That's why I don't use it. If you think it's more nutritious then you can use it on your dogs. It's getting a little ridiculous to continue beating a dead horse so I'm done. Got better things to do- like take my dogs out for their last potty and hit the sack! You can have the last word. ;)

G'nite.

I was just curious as to what part of sweet potato's (and potato fiber's) nutrient profile is preferable to corn's in your opinion.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It's not more nutritious than sweet potato at all in my opinion.

Hmm...how do you determine how nutritious a food or ingredient is? I would do that by comparing nutrient profiles. What exactly makes sweet potato more nutritious than corn?

And exactly what about corn makes it a "cheap filler" compared to other carbs?

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Guest tricolorhounds

I'm pretty skeptical as to whether glucosamine/chondroitin have any benefits other than placebo effect, but it doesn't hurt to try.

I *have* had good results from some of the other Hills prescription foods and even (eek! gasp!) from Science Diet Lamb & Rice. The grain free, "natural," and "holistic" foods? Several of those have made my dogs truly ill -- as in, vet visit and call to the manufacturer to report an adverse reaction. Who knew, eh? YMMV.

Agree 100%... Off and on I've had mine on glucosamine/chondroitin with no noticable effect.

... and just recently, when my Copper was dealing with congestive heart failure, Mr picky would ONLY eat Hills K/D. I would definitely feed Hills if the situation called for it again.

And exactly what about corn makes it a "cheap filler" compared to other carbs?

The "experts" on super premium food websites. I remember when I went to heck and back with Rex's tummy.

One super premium website had a comparison chart. Every time it was in another food it was labeled " cheap filler". Oddly enough one of their products contained corn and in that case it was labeled "for quick energy and a shiny coat". Go figure.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My understanding is that j/d's claim to fame is it's antiinflammatory qualities. It also seems to be formulated with overweight pets in mind. You could likely get just as much benefit by using another food as long as you keep an eye towards minimal pro-inflammatory ingredients & adding enough of a fish oil that is very high in omega 3 EFAs, in particular EPA. Where j/d might theorectically rank superior is higher EPA content without perhaps as high fat content as if you used the usual fish oil people often use to add omega 3. However, I believe there are products high enough in omega 3 for you to achieve similar benefits by adding those to a diet many would find more acceptable.

I haven't done the calculation to see if it's accurate, but from what I remember hearing at a seminar, you have to add a ridiculous number of fish oil capsules to get up to the level of omega-3 fatty acids in j/d. Here's a site I found by a vet with a little more info. Although based on this, it's not recommended for overweight dogs - not sure if that's a a recommendation from Hill's or just that vet's opinion. I don't have access to my Hill's guide to check. Interestingly, the UK has a j/d Reduced Calorie formula that is not available here in the US.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

If you were feeding J/D canned, the number of fish oil capsules you'd have to give is even more ridiculous -- you'd be giving handfuls.

Seems like the impact of omega-3's is still being studied re what exactly they do to help what conditions. But if the dog doesn't have any contraindicating conditions for the amount and type of fat, wouldn't hurt to give the food a trial. If cost is an issue, be sure to ask your vet about quantity discount. At my vet at least, that brings the cost of the prescription foods I've used well into the range of the "better" nonprescription commercial foods.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, I guess we can use my girl as an experiment. :D She's up to 2850 mg of omega 3 daily. Of that 1875 mg is EPA. To get this she receives 3 capsules totaling 4080 mg of fish oil daily. She'd need at least 8 capsules to approximate the amount of omega 3 EFAs in j/d. That's a lot, yes. I'll just bump her up slowly & see if we can get to 5 caps/day. Will wait there for a while & evaluate her response. I think the amount of total fat she'd be getting would also be close the that of j/d but I'm too lazy to finish the calculation. :lol

FWIW, I'm not against prescription diets if that's what it takes for your dog to feel better & live longer. Just question ins some instances whether that is really what it takes & in the case of arthritis whether it is the best long term option.