Metal Left In After Spay?

When Girl had her radiograph yesterday there were 4 pieces of metal in her about 1/4-1/2 inch each. The newly minted vet had no idea what they were, but they were not sharp, and not in her intestinal tract. Dr. Joe looked at them later and said that it had something to do with pieces of spacers or something that were not removed during her spay 10 years ago.

Anyone heard of anything like this?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Hemoclips!! Harmless- some vets will use clips rather than use use suture.

That would be my guess. Surprised your vets (even the new one) were unaware.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest mbfilby

One of ours has four staples that were forgotten and have grown over. They are clearly visible under the skin on her tummy. Since they cause her no trouble, the vets have advised to just leave them until she is put under for something else.

Guest dockellogg

The new one didn't know, the older one did. Guess the new one missed that at Ohio State. :blush

I didn't know what hemoclips looked like on an xray until after I'd started practicing as a vet, either. And, yep, I went to Ohio State too. I'm guessing all vets are trained to use suture only, since that's what's most commonly used in practice. There is so much to know........ and if I ever think I know it all please put me in the loony bin.

Christine Kellogg, MS DVM

Northern Virginia

The new one didn't know, the older one did. Guess the new one missed that at Ohio State. :blush

I didn't know what hemoclips looked like on an xray until after I'd started practicing as a vet, either. And, yep, I went to Ohio State too. I'm guessing all vets are trained to use suture only, since that's what's most commonly used in practice. There is so much to know........ and if I ever think I know it all please put me in the loony bin.

Christine Kellogg, MS DVM

Northern Virginia

I just wanted to say: Welcome Doc Kellogg! Do you have greys yourself? If so, we would love to see pictures. Actually we would love to see pictures of all furkids!

Jane (from Columbus but not an OSU Grad -- went to Purdue but please don't hold that against me.)