Something Is Up W Quixote

Because of Kasey's allergies we have to pick and choose his food and most often the common element is fish. We have tried various fish based bags to varying degrees of success. If it's not something that works well on his itching, it's bad on his bowels, or vice versa, very hard to win.

A really good one was Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Fish. He ate it for months and it was really good for him before we agreed to try a few others out.

When a dog that has an appetite for food all the time suddenly starts declining it, I agree that it is something to worry about. I don't think dogs that are food motivated just become "bored" with food. I hope he's feeling better with the switch.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest mysymba

Hoping and praying Quixote does really well on his new food..I took an interest in the topic since Symba was on Solid Gold Barking at the Moon for a loong time and the same thing happened to him...just one day he went from chowing down his food to just hating it... :unsure This has been about a year ago now and we switched him to I/D food now and he is thriving..just wondering if after being on Barking at the Moon for so long...somehow doesn't agree with them? Anyway, hoping he does better and just wanted to share it happened to us too...so hopefully all is well! ;)

Edited by mysymba

I don't think dogs that are food motivated just become "bored" with food.

Trust me, some do! :lol I've had a couple who would actually stop eating and start to drop weight only to pick up and eat again immediately with a different add-in. Stop adding it, and they stop eating and drop weight again. Some simply are not food motivated enough to keep weight on unless you work at keeping them interested in their food.

Ranger is THE worst at this, and it's tough keeping weight on him. If I just fed him kibble, same variety day in, day out, he'd actually be skeletal in no time.

Edited to shorten so as not to hijack the thread. :blush

Edited by silverfish

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest wmlcml6

So glad to read that Quixote is eating better.

Hope is easily bored by food, and would literally starve herself if we didn't keep rotating her food options. She eats 3-4 times a day if we are lucky, and it cannot be the same food for any of those meals in the same day. She keeps us on our toes.