Today's Stew

Guest Vers

Not silly at all. A dog who eats good food when she should -- priceless :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh dear, like a proper recipe with measurements and so on? I wing it because I make these in pretty big batches, but can give ingredients and instructions.

Raw beef, pork or chicken liver at least 2 pounds

Whole eggs in the shell, 2 or 3 for every 2 pounds of liver

Olive or safflower oil, 1/3 cup

Shredded cheddar (or other) cheese, weight from half to equal the weight of liver

Touch of honey or molasses

A light touch of garlic powder if desired

White flour -- start with 3-4 cups

Wheat germ -- start with at least 1 cup

Baking powder, a teaspoon per cup of flour

Preheat oven to 325 F.

Blenderize the liver, eggs, cheese, honey and oil until smooth. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, wheat germ and baking powder (all fo which we have given our best guess at). Add the liquid slowly to the dry ingredients and stir to mix. Keep adding flour and wheat germ until the mix starts to stiffen.

Use a flat cookie/baking sheet (not Teflon). By hand (you can oil your hands to make this easier), roll the dough into 3/4" balls and arrange on baking sheet (they won't spread and can be placed quite closely). Once a sheet is full, bake until outside of each ball is firm, dry and has just started to brown. Let cool completely and place in airtight container. Treats should keep up to a month in the fridge or six months in the freezer.

How'd I do?! I make these every few months as well as oven-dried "just" beef liver treats.

Perfect, thank you!

Not silly at all. A dog who eats good food when she should -- priceless :wub: .

This. When momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy. :wub:

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Our EZ is a horrible eater.... He will actually notice if I try to slip the tiniest extra bit of kibble into his daily amount.....Sometimes on a day when he is eating well, I'll heap the scoop a bit...and it's like he knows.

Cruz is my picky eater and he does exactly the same thing! If I sneak in a little extra, he will leave that exact amount in his bowl! How DO they know? :lol

Canned tripe mixed in works pretty well for him. He likes Solid Gold better than Tripett. Last week I bought a can of Kiwi Peak tripe (lamb and venison) and he's completely mad for it right now. Won't last long though. :rolleyes:

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown