Shy And Skittish, What Do I Do?

Guest Samm88

Hi Guys!

As of a few months go I became the proud new owner of a retired racer! I've had pets in my family in the past, but hes my first very own dog.

However, when he came into the house he was so incredibly shy, he wouldn't come to anyone, and he stayed downstairs in his crate for hours on end. We have tons of beds upstairs for him ( hes not much for laying on couches), but he chooses to spend his days downstairs on his own. He does come when hes called, but he stays upstairs for only a short while. He has no problems going out, and knows when he needs to go, and where. Hes very fear full of loud noises and any sudden movements anyone makes. We have another dog living with us, so its not like he is all alone.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Does it get better?

I just want to enjoy my new boy without him hibernating in the basement.

My boy is not shy or skittish at all, but he does LOVE to sleep on our bed. He has an orthopedic dog bed in the living room but he doesn't spend much time on it. He typically chooses to sleep in our bedroom on our bed. So we sometimes close our bedroom door which forces him to stay in the living room with us. You might try that. Provide him a nice safe corner, and block off his access to the basement. Don't bug him or pester him. Walk over quietly every now and again and give him a treat, but otherwise just let him be. He'll get more accustomed to being up there with you and if he spends time with you he'll learn to trust you.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest mbfilby

Welcome to GT Samm.

I'm surprised that you have not received more replies as a first time poster with a legitimate question. Usually GT is much more forthcoming with advice.

Our Cy is/was a severe spook. When we first brought him home, it took him a full week to venture out of his crate which was in a spare room specially set up for him. We fed him in the room with the door closed, and eventually moved the food out further and further. Once he started to explore the house on his own, we would block access back to his room for small periods and gradually increased the time. This forced him to explore and become more comfortable with his surroundings. Eventually he found other "safe" spots like our bedroom.

Over time Cy came out of his shell with us, but would still retreat when anyone new entered the house. He still retreats if someone new comes to the house, but he warms up to them very quickly now after some cautionary sniffs. He will sniff and run if they make eye contact, but if they allow him to approach on his terms he will accept pets from them.

Cy has been with us for three years and is still timid, but is much much better, and continues to become more brave all the time. Having other outgoing hounds and lots of social interaction (on his terms) has helped tremendously. Cy actually can not function well without another outgoing grey in the house as we found out when our Mickey crossed the bridge. He regressed pretty significantly when she passed, but has made a full recovery and even improved since Myka (a 2 year old high energy girl) came home with us.

I would discuss this with your group, to see if they have any better advice, but time and interaction is what worked best for Cy.

Thank you so much, that makes me feel so much better. Kamm is the exact same way. Hes getting better with strangers and what not, and he eats in the kitchen with our other dog with no problem. Im doing my best to help him come along and hope I'm doing everything right. He has his good days and bad, but I'm relieved that I'm not the only one who has gone through this.

I've contacted my group, and they knew he was a very shy guy, and told me just time would bring him out of his shell.

Thanks for the post! :)

I agree that time is a factor but, do you by chance take your dogs for walks. Walking is an incredible bonding experience and it's when you can all bond as a "pack". If your girl is very shy you might just need to stand someplace outside and get her used to the world and just venture out around the block very slowly. If you are going to be walking, I would seriously suggest getting a halter because shy dogs can sometimes slip out if their collars.

Most days I take them both out for a walk together. Our little dog doesn't handle the winters so well though. He seems to be fine on walks though and very rarely shys at things outdoors on leash. He just trots by my side. Thats great advice though, thank you!

Hi Samm,

Don't worry too much...they do come out of their shells. I slept on the kitchen floor with Jack the first three nights. He was terrified to leave that area. He eventually became my shadow.

MaryJane is correct...walking does wonders. but please use a harness. My somewhat spooky Dustin slipped a martingale not long after I got him. ....a terrifying experience. I use both a collar and harness on both of my hounds with two leashes on JJ and one leash with a coupler on Dustin. JJ needs the extra control....Dustin just needs the backup in case he spooks.

Again, just let this run it's course. And remember, some greyhounds just tend to be very reserved. It doesn't mean that they are not happy or that they do not love you...

Good luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

A few months is not a long time if they start out shy. Ours is now 11 and we got her at 2 yrs old. Shy/ scared/ spook whatever you want to call her, she was that!! She is a different dog with us now but is still shy when new people come into the house and she goes to her safe place which for her is the upstairs loft we have. It takes awhile, it takes patience and love. We hug on her, love her up, and go to her. She still is happier in her own space but now it is in the same room as us, not another area of the house. We did at times block the stairs so she would stay with us, but we also realize this is who she is vs an outgoing "velcro" dog that she will never be. More cat- like really. But she loves her walks, and boy did we walk and walk when we first got her!!! Just keep loving him up and talk to him, pet him, give treats... it definitely gets better, and there is such a love connection with the shy ones that builds over time !!

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

Time and patience :) .

With a shy dog, usually right after walk I keep them on leash for a minute or two (inside) and do "dog grooming" -- really petting gently, starting at the shoulder and finger-grooming the dog all over. We might have a little conversation while we're doing that. If the dog is amenable, I'll pick up each foot, praise and offer a treat for allowing that; maybe lift up the corner of a lip to have a look at the teeth, etc. Whatever seems reasonable for the dog. Usually I'll also:

- Spend some time sitting on the floor next to a cushy dog bed / blanky. I'll just read a magazine and maybe have a little pile of treats next to me in case somebody feels like joining me, you know?

- Do a smidge of "training" at @ the same time every day. I'll say "Come" when the dog is already walking toward me, little things like that, praise and treat.

Even if the dog is totally frightened and won't take a treat, I always offer them. One day the dog will take that treat, you will remember it forever, and the two of you will be well on your way.

Good luck!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

one question, the other animal, it is a dog, or a greyhound? If nobody has told you, greyhounds can be breed snobs (they ignore other breeds) sometimes. I have three that way. They totally ignore all other breed of dog, unless it is a fellow greyhound. This is just something you may want to realize when you think that just because you have a dog in the house it will help your hound. Typically they are indifferent to other breeds.

Chad

My Katie started off extremely shy. Getting her out of her crate was an ordeal (which is why I got rid of the crate after the first week). The advice I got from my trainer was to not force any interactions for about two weeks. I did block various parts of the house off at different times, so that she would be in the same room as me, but other than that, just let her be. That helped a lot. But really, it was a lot of just taking things slow. And I did eventually put her on antianxiety drugs. I know many people don't want to do that, and those people would probably say that Katie was fine without them. But she has become so much happier since she's been on them, I can't imagine making her settle for the life she had before. She was content, but not happy, if that makes sense.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/