New Dog - Skittish Coming In From Potty Breaks

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Hi everyone. We just adoted Sonny (WV's Ranson) on Friday. He came off the track last December but has been at the kennel every since. He's doing greyt. He's a little skiddish sometimes but is checking everything out in the house. When we're in the house, he comes to me for scritches and cookies but outside is a different story.

We let him in the backyard for potty breaks but then we can't get him back in!!! I open the door and Sara (our other greyhound) comes in but Sonny won't. If I go out and try to approach him, he runs away! Sometimes he runs and plays but other times he just backs away. I let him be but eventually, I have to round him up and get him in. I've tried luring him with cookies but it doesn't work. I don't know why he's doing this. I'm pretty sure that at the kennel they let him out on potty breaks like we do but why doesn't he want to come back in?? I thought it was the kids so I tested him when they were napping and he still didn't want to come in.

So, I've been leash walking him in the back yard. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

He's got all that room to run in. A turn out pen is not all that big and he's got lots of dogs to follow. Try sitting down, calling Sara and give her little treats, he may come running to see what she's getting. once he's close to you you can get his collar, attach a leash and walk him inside. He may come running just at the sight of a leash also.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

When you wanted to let him in and he didn't want to, so you left him out for awhile, you trained him it's ok not to come when called. I'd try the treat route suggested. Even if it takes him a long time to come to you, be sure and give him a treat, but only when he comes to you.

Is there something at the door that bothers him? Brooke wil only come in if there is a mat at the door and she always comes when called. One time there was a skunk outside and while she stared at it, ears up, she still came in when called, so she's not afraid to come in the house as long as there is a mat. the skunk situation proved it. Could there be any reason that would prevent him from wanting to come in, other than really enjoying his time outside?

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Yankeegreyhound

He's got all that room to run in. A turn out pen is not all that big and he's got lots of dogs to follow. Try sitting down, calling Sara and give her little treats, he may come running to see what she's getting. once he's close to you you can get his collar, attach a leash and walk him inside. He may come running just at the sight of a leash also.

Ok, we'l try that. Thanks! The problem is also, when I reach for his collar to bring him in, he runs from me.

Diago was the same way for the 1st week and half now he goes in 99% of the time right away!

Good to know!! We've only had him since Friday. We haven't had a new dog in over 7 years! The last time we had a new dog, we lived in our condo and walked them all the time. We didn't have a yard to play in so this is new to us.

When you wanted to let him in and he didn't want to, so you left him out for awhile, you trained him it's ok not to come when called. I'd try the treat route suggested. Even if it takes him a long time to come to you, be sure and give him a treat, but only when he comes to you.

Is there something at the door that bothers him? Brooke wil only come in if there is a mat at the door and she always comes when called. One time there was a skunk outside and while she stared at it, ears up, she still came in when called, so she's not afraid to come in the house as long as there is a mat. the skunk situation proved it. Could there be any reason that would prevent him from wanting to come in, other than really enjoying his time outside?

Thanks for the information. I just spoke to my husband about this because it makes good sense. We have been telling him it's ok to stay outside.

He jumps at any movement but the door also squeaks. I'm going to have to oil it down so it's not so noisy for him. Also, it's been kind of warm here in NY. We'll see what happens tomorrow when it's raining!!!

Some greyhounds are skittish about doors - don't know why but they might be afraid to go through them. What you might want to try is get a leash back on your greyhound a few yards away from the door and then lead the dog through the door with the leash. Usually a few times of this will help them calm their fears and they will start going through the doors themselves without the leash.

annie came with a pretty good recall but for some reason(most likely annie being annie) she started to get a tad skittish (putting it midly)coming in. this is what i did, it worked beautifully and hopefully it will work for you.

i stood in the kitchen, with the door open(screen door propped open, wood kitchen door open)

dh was outside w/ annie on a loose lead

i called her in a happy voice,"annie come!"

dh ran up the steps, onto the porch and in w/ her(initially she was really hesitiant)

i hand fed her lots of treats(marshmallows work well for some dogs, other wise try cheese or hot dogs)

we did this around 20 times(dh has lots of stamina)

then we started her off lead w/ dh at her side saying"good girl, inside"

she knew the food was inside,

she heard the praise

dh was able to guide her if necessary

we repeated this w/ leash and w/o leash

treats were always given

she quickly became the first dog in ALL the time.

hopefully this will work for you!(when ever i say "come" annie is sitting in front of me, all the time. i did this w/ my friends corgi who totally spooked going into a dark vestibule, worked like a charm.

Edited by cleptogrey

Guest 4dogscrazy

I think it's important to not let them "win". I have one that is a spook, and every so many months she decides (?) She doesn't want to go outside. I let her alone, until she peed on the floor (which she never does). So........now when it happens I pick her up, carry her down a small flight of steps, and plop her on the porch. Then she is fine. The last time we went through it, it was only a few times until she decided it was not worth the trouble/I wasn't giving in/it was okay. I like the running in training, but I would just probably leash until he settles. It's all in the routine, and he's confused because he's not to at the kennel anymore. You might want to ask the group if they had any problems at the kennel too.

Guest Yankeegreyhound

annie came with a pretty good recall but for some reason(most likely annie being annie) she started to get a tad skittish (putting it midly)coming in. this is what i did, it worked beautifully and hopefully it will work for you.

i stood in the kitchen, with the door open(screen door propped open, wood kitchen door open)

dh was outside w/ annie on a loose lead

i called her in a happy voice,"annie come!"

dh ran up the steps, onto the porch and in w/ her(initially she was really hesitiant)

i hand fed her lots of treats(marshmallows work well for some dogs, other wise try cheese or hot dogs)

we did this around 20 times(dh has lots of stamina)

then we started her off lead w/ dh at her side saying"good girl, inside"

she knew the food was inside,

she heard the praise

dh was able to guide her if necessary

we repeated this w/ leash and w/o leash

treats were always given

she quickly became the first dog in ALL the time.

hopefully this will work for you!(when ever i say "come" annie is sitting in front of me, all the time. i did this w/ my friends corgi who totally spooked going into a dark vestibule, worked like a charm.

This might work. We're going to have to try this when our twins are sleeping.

Tonight I took Sonny out on the leash and he still refused to come inside. He's fine once he's in but he is terrified to go through that door.

Is the door opening narrow? Are both doors open as much as possible? My Annie Bella used to give me grief about the door, out and in, if the space seemed too confining to her. That meant I had to stand away from the open door so she had open space, but yet hold onto the leash. If the storm door wasn't open far enough, she wouldn't go through. If there were any recyclables next to the door ready to go out, she wouldn't go through the door because the space was reduced by 2 inches. I've had her since mid-July, and it took her 2+ months to not be afraid. Even now, though, she often RUSHES through the doorway as if it's on fire.

think about which side sonny is on when you bring him inside. is it always the left or right, or changes? is he in a crowded space? clear out the landing to the door, make it easier. most likely you are infront so have food in your hand....tasty morsels and feed him and bring him in -in a hurry so he doesn't have time to think! do try the running husband exercise( you will get a kick out of wearing DH out even if it doesn't do the trick initially) and repeat it. remember to also give your husband a treat for his hard work, you want him to help again, right?

when you move w/ your pup, be POSITIVE, firm, happy and energetic...he will pick up on your positive get up and go! happy words, good praise and a high happy YESSSS.....w/ lots of treats can't hurt.