Chloe's Ear

RobinM

Rich was walking Ollie, Ponch and Chloe this morning. When we walk Teddy we keep him muzzled because of his reactions to non greyhounds. We are able to keep everyone safe that way after learning the hard way.

Apparently, Ollie (my perfect dog) reacted to another breed along with Chloe and Ponch and somehow along the way without DH knowing it, the tip of Chloe's ear was clipped and it's bleeding like a faucet, literally although the wound itself is small. After numerous attempts to get it to stop bleeding, I put on the EMT spray which I have had for years but have never used before. After an hour, it started bleeding again. Now, I have a small piece of gauze taped on to the tip and it seems to be doing the trick,

In the event this doesn't do the trick, any ideas as what to do to make it stop?

On a side note, Ollie has lost weight, hair and is acting a bit snarky. Ollie is the most easy going, good natured hound in the world. I am taking him in tomorrow for a full thyroid panel and check up.

If, in the event he shows he is hypothyroid, that would be 50% of my hounds are hypothroid which will confirm MY theory of hypothyroidism in NOT over diagnosed, but rather underdiagnosed for fear of diagnosing it., Just my own thoughts about it.

As of now, both Chloe and Teddy have tested full panel hypothyroid and exhibted symtoms to make me test them in the first place.

Stay tuned,

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If you can get the bleeding to stop for a bit, put something like a snood* on her head to keep her ears close to her head when she shakes her head. I'm betting that flinging her ears around is what's reopening the wound.

Re: thyroid issues. Three of the four greyhounds I've owned have tested hypothyroid and the Soloxine has made a substantial difference. When Silver's thyroid tested fine, my vet grinned and said, "What an unusual greyhound!"

*"Something ilke a snood": Cut the sleeve out of an old sweatshirt, and keep the ribbed cuff on her "forehead" with the sleeve over her ears, down her head and neck. Or cut the toe out of a big, stretched-out sock and pull the sock over her head.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks. I went up to get ready to go out, came down and the bandage was off, no surprise. It was still blended, but not running so it has slowed down. I can believe what a mess this tiny nip turned into. Chloe is not amused.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Thanks. I went up to get ready to go out, came down and the bandage was off, no surprise. It was still blended, but not running so it has slowed down. I can believe what a mess this tiny nip turned into. Chloe is not amused.

With or without the bandage, the injury is going to make her ear feel funny, so she'll be flinging those ears around and reopening the wound.

But let me welcome Chloe to the Wonky Ears group. My first dog had perfect ears; the other three have all come to me with bits missing from their ears.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

You may have to, and she'll look really funny, bandage the afflicted ear to the top of her head to immobilize it. I wish I could give you good verbal/written instructions for it but I'm not the best bandager. Someone on here will know how to describe it!

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Because of vigorous shaking (long story), Gracie developed a hematoma on the inside edge of her ear. The first vet lanced it, draining the blood, but told us it would probably refill. It did. She then needed surgery to filet the inner side of the ear and then have it stitch/tacked down. It took several weeks to heal to ensure it wouldn't refill with blood. A few stitches were removed at a time over 2 weeks. No complications.

This was the original hematoma from my thumb to the tip of the ear. It was about 3/4" thick.

003-2.jpg

To keep Gracie from scratching it or reinjuring by shaking again, this is how the vet wrapped her ear.

004-2.jpg That's cloth tape on there. I wish he'd used vet wrap instead. It's wrapped all the way around her neck.

All this can be discretely hidden with a hat:

005.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I am at dunkin donuts getting a coffee while Chloe gets sedated enough to stitch her ear. :(. I went out this afternoon from about 11 to 2 and came home to a blood bath. Void on the walls, doors, floors etc. real nice.

Took her in and sure enough she does need a couple

Of sutures.

I am at dunkin donuts getting a coffee while Chloe gets sedated enough to stitch her ear. :(. I went out this afternoon from about 11 to 2 and came home to a blood bath. Void on the walls, doors, floors etc. real nice.

Took her in and sure enough she does need a couple

Of sutures.

I've unfortunately had to deal with a dog that lost the tip of the ear - what a PITA! You'll still want to keep her from shaking with the stitches in.

What we did was wrap the head in gauze, and then slip a piece of pantyhose over the head, he looked like he was kind wearing a babushka. Use the other/good ear as an "anchor". That seemed to stay put.

This is how the vet did it originally, after his sutures:

IMG_1511.jpg

Edit to add photo.

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

They gave Chloe a surgical snood. She is so passed out. My poor baby.

I've unfortunately had to deal with a dog that lost the tip of the ear - what a PITA! You'll still want to keep her from shaking with the stitches in.

What we did was wrap the head in gauze, and then slip a piece of pantyhose over the head, he looked like he was kind wearing a babushka. Use the other/good ear as an "anchor". That seemed to stay put.

This is how the vet did it originally, after his sutures:

IMG_1511.jpg

Edit to add photo.

See! This is exactly what I was talking about. Hope she doesn't need it after her sutures.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Similar. Hers is the color of an ace bandage with Velcro to close it.

Guest HHHounds

Zorro had an ear chunk bit off from another grey and he bled like a stuck pig. I am still finding blood droplets. $800 and 6 weeks later he is fine. He was bandaged for about 3 weeks. He looks greyt now - one regular ear one smaller ear. We call him Zorro Van Gogh.

Here's Skeeter's "headdress" from his ear wound that wouldn't stop bleeding. He also had to wear the cone-of-shame

because he INSISTED on using a rear foot to dig it off. That thing had to stay on for 3 weeks. Every time we changed

the bandage, he's give one big headshake & be flinging blood all over again.

headpetsmart001.jpg

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.