Dog Food

Guest kar

I had both of my dogs on costco food - the female developed kidney disease and now needs a special diet. my male now is showing not much interest in the costco food - seems to want her food - why i don't know. was thinking of switching him but don't know what to try. any suggestions?

Guest jbbuzby

From the costco brand, I went to "Dogswell Vitality." The dogs all seem to love it and do well on it, and it is quite high quality. If you get it from amazon and do a subscription, it's only $28 a month with no tax or shipping for a 22.5lb bag.

After some problems following Taste of the Wild (which we used for ~6months prior) we now have one on Precise Light and one on Premium Edge Healthy Weight, both bought from petflow.com and pups are doing well. If we have to buy in-store we go with Iams Naturals.

Guest PiagetsMom

Mirage has been suffering with an allergy, so on the advice of my vet, I made a food change. He's always had a sensitive stomach and we'd been on TOTW Pacific Stream, which he ate well and had fairly good poops on. We changed to Orijen Adult Dog Grain Free. He eats it well, and he has better (and fewer) poops on it than he's ever had. It's on the pricey side, but we're having very good results with it. :)

Edited by PiagetsMom

Guest BrianRke

All of mine do really well on Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice. Its a 4 star food as rated by DogfoodAdvisor.com and is less expensive that other foods that dont rate as well.

Guest snowmo18

I really like the Canidae grain free series (4 different flavors total), I have had my own dogs on it and our fosters and they all have done great with no tummy issues. I have also heard good things on Taste of the Wild too.

Guest greys4ever

Rhoda LOVES Newman's own dry dog food. She always gets meat on top, but she eats every bite. Our cat also loves the dog food. Our cat is 11 and was losing weight because she didn't want to eat the premium cat food we were feeding her. I hope there aren't problems with the cat eating the dog food, any thoughts on that anyone?

All of mine do really well on Diamond Naturals Chicken/Rice. Its a 4 star food as rated by DogfoodAdvisor.com and is less expensive that other foods that dont rate as well.

I tried to switch back to Diamond Naturals and could NOT get rid of the runny stools. Finally gave up and switched back to Iams green bag. They do great on it.

• 1 month later...
Guest verthib

Rhoda LOVES Newman's own dry dog food. She always gets meat on top, but she eats every bite. Our cat also loves the dog food. Our cat is 11 and was losing weight because she didn't want to eat the premium cat food we were feeding her. I hope there aren't problems with the cat eating the dog food, any thoughts on that anyone?

Cats have special dietary needs that are not fulfilled from dog food. (ie taurine). Is she still eating dog food as her primary food source?

Guest Tiptons_Mom

My dog a hard time with several foods that I tried until I tried Life's abundance. He went from being a total pudding poop dog to having great poops. His coat is great and he loves the food. It has no corn and has great ingredients. You can order it online and it's delivered to your house. I also have to feed less becuase of the quality. Highly recommend it.

Guest xshivax

I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild for my boys to try. They loved it, but the gas was unbearable. I have been feeding Nature's Variety Prairie before that. I switched them back to it. Still looking for the perfect food. I would rather feed high quality grains than white potatoes. About 90% of dry dog foods that are grain free have white potatoes in them which is a cheap filler.

Guest verthib

I bought a bag of Taste of the Wild for my boys to try. They loved it, but the gas was unbearable. I have been feeding Nature's Variety Prairie before that. I switched them back to it. Still looking for the perfect food. I would rather feed high quality grains than white potatoes. About 90% of dry dog foods that are grain free have white potatoes in them which is a cheap filler.

Try something with sweet potatoes.

Cats have special dietary needs that are not fulfilled from dog food. (ie taurine). Is she still eating dog food as her primary food source?

OT I know but a life depends on it. Please ensure that your cat's diet is based on cat food. As verthib has noted, cat's have different dietary needs from dogs. The mention of taurine is a very important example. Cats cannot manufacture taurine & must get it from their food. Cats eating primarily dog food can develop health problems including heart disease & blindness. I know a couple people who found this out the hard way. Story on both cats is that they like to eat out of the dogs' bowls. The blind cat lived years longer after being switched to cat food. Sadly, the cat with the damaged heart did not. Sorry to sound so grim.

Guest xshivax

I was thinking about that and narrowed it down to one or two brands. Calif Natural has a chicken and sweet potato formula as does another brand that I can't think of at the moment. I am also fine with chicken and brown rice. Looking for no white rice or white potatoes in a dog food. The new formulas with chick peas sound interesting, but are expensive. I am hoping to get samples of foods at the Pet Expo in April.

Guest verthib

I was thinking about that and narrowed it down to one or two brands. Calif Natural has a chicken and sweet potato formula as does another brand that I can't think of at the moment. I am also fine with chicken and brown rice. Looking for no white rice or white potatoes in a dog food. The new formulas with chick peas sound interesting, but are expensive. I am hoping to get samples of foods at the Pet Expo in April.

Natural Balance is what my girl is on - Salmon and Sweet Potato. It has done her wonders! I'm still trying to find the perfect food for Angus.

Guest xshivax

I like Acana, it's the less premium version of Orijen. It's a nice food, it's middle range in price and I really like the company.

That is the other brand Acana, but not the grain free. There regular adult dog food formula. Similar to the Nature's variety Praire.

Natural Balance is what my girl is on - Salmon and Sweet Potato. It has done her wonders! I'm still trying to find the perfect food for Angus.

The problem I have with Natural Balance is the the sweet potatoes are listed first not meat. The protein content is only around 20 to 21%.

The problem I have with Natural Balance is the the sweet potatoes are listed first not meat. The protein content is only around 20 to 21%.

Right. It's named Sweet Potato & Fish Formula for that reason. It has more sweet potato by weight than any other ingredient. However, salmon & salmon meal are the next two ingredients. We do not actually know how much of each ingredient is used so the total of fish & fish meal might outweigh the sweet potato. Also, it is sweet potato not sweet potato flour that is the first ingredient. So we do not know how much sweet potato there would be if the water was removed. So again the fish:sweet potato ratio might be better than we think.

As you point out though. The protein content might be the give away.