Diamond Goes Nuts In The Morning

Thanks to Jen for posting this thread

Clicky

In the morning, Diamond goes nuts when I wake up. He knows when I'm awake too, even if I just lie there and not move.

He starts jumping all over the bed and the dogs laying there.

I have bruises on me from him jumping on me.

I have tried to lay there but then he starts barking at me to get up.

This is how I get up- I hold my legs out under the sheets so that I can push him away from me. Then as quick as possible, throw back the covers and leap out of bed.

The whole time, he's jumping so my legs get scratched up Some times I can grab his collar and hold him away from me.

Now I'm got little miss nipper on my other side and she's jumping on me too. AUGH!!

Any suggestions on getting him to stop?

If I could sleep with the squirt bottle, all I have to do is reach for it and he runs away. I never have to squirt it.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Sounds like pent up energy to me. Has he been to basic training classes? If not that should be a priority.

Does he sit, stay, lie down?

If he does, give him a job the first thing in the morning before you get out of bed.

Do not let him onto your bed. a firm NO

I also would beat him to the punch by getting up first and commanding him to stay, while you go to the bathroom. I use voice command and hand signal (hand signal is in his eye range, like a stop signal)

If possible, after u are ready, take him for a walk, he has this energy that needs to be addressed. Good luck I hope this helps and keep us posted.

Joseph learned by my playing "dead log" covered with quilt and pillow over my head for protection.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

This morning

Alarm goes off- Diamond goes nuts

I just lay there

Diamond barks at me

I just lay there

Diamond jumps into bed and curls up next to my head

I move, he jumps up and off the bed onto Lucky

I look at him and tell him to sit

He sits

I start to get up and he jumps up on me

I tell him to sit

He sits

After a few times of this, I slowly get up and he's just standing there

Progress?

It was better than normal :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

He might need to let stem off...take him to an off-leash area where he can run his heart out...in the house he will be the most educated hound...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

Guest amazing_gracie

If you don't actually have to spray him, then just sleep with an EMPTY spray bottle. :P

This made me laugh quite a bit! I used the spray bottle tactic in the first weeks after we brought Gracie home. Ever since then, she waits quietly on her bed for me to get up, even if I sleep in. Consistency and exercise are the key. You'll be fine. :)

He does get a lot of exercise every day. He hauls a$$ around the yard 4-5 times a day for a few minutes each. Then he passes out. He also loves, loves to play fetch. He will play for about 1/2 an hour or until my arm gives out. I'm lucky that he plays well alone. He will throw his toy around outside a lot. He does not play with his brother or sister. He either plays alone or wants me to play fetch. Goofy boy.

The sit in the morning is not working. He's just too damn excited. :lol

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest jbbuzby

I recently went through this with the visiting hound.

The most important thing is to NOT leave your bed/open doors/do ANYTHING fun until the dog is laying quietly. This takes lots of time and repetition, but every time you get up and he acts nuts and is not corrected for it, AND what Diamond wants to happen happens next, I promise you the behavior will continue. You have to set new expectations and teach Diamond that the day cannot start until he is calm.

With visiting hound, I first used a squirt bottle (you could keep it on the floor next to the bed?), but then would move in slow motion and play the hot and cold game; every time he got up/got silly, I'd say "NOPE!" and turn my back on him, fold my arms looking very angry, and wait. It may take several minutes, but eventually after a week or so, he has learned he must lay on his bed first before I will do ANYTHING. I will not open the bedroom door until all hounds are laying down calmly. As soon as Diamond acts relatively calm, be nice (calm) and gently pet him/praise him. If he goes bonkers again, you "turn angry" again and fold your arms and turn your back. You'd be amazed at what withdrawing attention can do behavior wise!

Guest jbbuzby

I'll try this tomorrow but OMG I have to pee so bad in the morning :lol

Ha ha, for times like that, I simply walk quickly to the door, tell the dogs to stay otherwise completely ignoring them, and make them all wait in the bedroom while I go. Not rewarding any of their behavior. Then I re-enter the room, still ignore the dogs, and go back to bed using the squirt bottle as my defense if necessary. Then you can start the hot-cold game of making sure Diamond is calm before you do anything next!