Threw Up Out Of The Blue

Guest driser

Our boy (got him in late June '10, he'll be 3 next month) threw up out of the blue this morning at 7:30. :(

He was fine last night, seemed fine this morning (until the chuck), and seemed fine after my husband took him outside (he pee'd but did not throw up any more). We don't have any ground beef on hand and he can't have poultry so made some rice while I soak only 1 of his 2.25cups of breakfast in warm water and added about 1/4 cup of the rice. We went out after he ate and he pooped as usual. If he doesn't throw that up, can I give him the rest of his breakfast at noon?

(First time dog owners.)

What did he throw up? If it was yellow bile, he was probably hungry. Some greys will do this and owners found that if they give them a small snack before bed, it will hold them over until breakfast. If he ate something and threw it up, it could be many things, including eating too fast. If he continues to throw up, it could be more serious but he seems to be ok so far. If he doesn't throw up again and seems fine, I would feed him, especially if it was just yellow bile.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

He'll be fine and I think it would be fine to give him the rest of the food if he continues to keep his breakfast down. Dogs will vomit much more readily and easily than us humans, so it's definitely "normal" unless he's throwing up multiple times within the space of several hours. Probably just ate something that didn't agree with him, or who knows. If this is only the first time he's done it since you got him I think you're in pretty good shape. :)

I think that's fine. I'm a first time dog owner too, and I've learned that once in a while dogs throw up. For one throw-up I wouldn't start messing with special food. If anything, I'd have fasted him until midday then feed several small installments of regular food throughout the day.

Clarification: did he throw when his stomach was empty, when he hadn't eaten since last night? Was it mostly just bile or was there food in it? Or was this regurgitating something he'd eaten shortly before?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Did he throw-up just after eating? Just asking as he may have eaten too quickly and sometimes they will regurgitate everything and then will eat it again. If he holds down his food this time you should be fine giving him the rest at noon as you should know before this whether he is still having issues. Just another question as it's not clear in your post, are you taking him outside after he eats or before? Is he on a leash or loose? Just curious as it's best not to exercise them after eating, give them an hour if you can before a walk/run.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

My vet calls a single vomiting "out of the blue" with no further issue an "uncomplicated vomit."

There is no reason to feed him hamburger or anything different if all he did was upchuck once.

Some dogs barf at the drop of a hat. It doesn't always indicate a problem.

If he has diarrhea too, or continues to vomit, take him to the vet.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

He threw up yellowish liquid with a small amount of last night's dinner in it. He hadn't had anything since dinner 11 hours prior. Throwing up because he was starving? I can relate to that actually. I didn't know that happens to them. Thanks for all the input! He's not thrown up since and is clearly hoping he can have the rest of his breakfast now. :)