Veterinary Check-Up Check List

This is a valuable check list to print and fill-out before heading to the veterinarian.

(This could help save an extra trip to the vet later.)

Checkup Checklist: http://www.virbacpets.com/Libraries/PDFs/CheckupChecklist.sflb.ashx

Here are tips that I find helpful:

1.) File: Keep an electronic file for each hound on a computer. Whenever I notice a new medical problem or medical behavior (i.e. sudden lack of appetite), I note it in the file (with date) to discuss at our next veterinary visit.

2.) Pictures: If I see a questionable spot or growth, I snap picture/s of growth (next to a ruler) with date to track any changes in growth or shape.

3.) Paw Pads: If a potential paw "pad" problem, wetting the pad with water before snaping a picture helps visibility in many cases. This is especially helpful if you think there may be a foreign body that isn't easily visible on a dry pad. Great to be able to "zoom in" on those pictures on a computer, or to print out.

Great idea and very helpful. I downloaded the checklist so I could make one for each of our 5 dogs. Your hints in the post were very good so they've been copied as well.

Thanks for the information!

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Also, make a list of things your dog routinely takes, dosage, and frequency. Items like fish oil, glucosamine, all other supplements--no matter how "natural"--and all drugs.

Things that normally are beneficial--like fish oil--can be a complication with some ailments or emergencies.

I'm trying to keep a current list for each dog in a note on the front of the fridge. In an emergency--or even a routine visit to the vet--I can take the list with me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I downladed (free) the Critters app for my Android. I have their records with me all the time and can email them to myself or to anyone else as needed. There is also a Critters app for iphone.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest Greytluv

Yep, they have Paw Card for the iPhone. Love it. It has all the info right there. I have all five of my dogs on there. It's a greyt app.

I'll have to look at the Critters app and see if I like that better.

I also keep a binder with all their info in it. Blood work, rabies, etc.