Lark The Whippet Had Her Dental Today

Guest karma98104

Guest karma98104

Lark the 11 year old with kidney failure whippet had a dental today. She had 2 teeth removed and fluids all day.

The vet called me at 3:40 to let me know she was awake and that it went well. It's 8pm, so 4 1/2 hours later and she's still REALLY out of it. She's not moving much, and when she does she's wobbling around in a daze, her back end isn't working right.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I'm worried!

Thanks

Lark the 11 year old with kidney failure whippet had a dental today. She had 2 teeth removed and fluids all day.

The vet called me at 3:40 to let me know she was awake and that it went well. It's 8pm, so 4 1/2 hours later and she's still REALLY out of it. She's not moving much, and when she does she's wobbling around in a daze, her back end isn't working right.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? I'm worried!

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have the information you need. Since no one else has posted, I would probably call the vet. My vet always has someone on call 24/7. It might set your mind at rest or maybe the vet is willing to come in to see her.

Jane

Edited to say that it is 11:20 pm here and your post was timestamped before 10 pm. Neglected to realize that Greytalk time is one hour behind me (i.e. central time), so there probably hasn't been time for someone more knowledgeable than me to see this. Hopefully you will get a response soon.

Edited by joejoesmom

Flower had a dental today and she lost 2 teeth, too. I picked her up around 1 pm. She's still out of it. She's slept pretty much all day (and it's 11:30 pm here now), but, she did eat and she's not wobbly. Of course, she's a lot younger than your whippet...she'll be 6 in a few days.

Is Lark normally kinda wobbly?? Has she shown any interest in food/water??

I think it's normal for them to be sleepy...and maybe even a little painful, with 2 extractions. But, I would be concerned if my dog, who normally gets around fine, could barely walk.

Wouldn't hurt to check with your vet.

Guest karma98104

Thanks Gert, that actually made me feel better. She's not normally wobbly, but she is quite sensitive and often prone to the dramatics :rolleyes: I brought dinner to her bed and she had more of an appetite than I've seen in weeks, although she ate her dinner lying down. I'm going to take that as a really good sign and give her a few more hours before I hit the panic button. I gave her a tramadol 20 minutes ago.

I WISH my vet had a 24 hour line, but no such luck, they are closed till tomorrow at 10. If I'm still nervous in another 2 hours I'll call the e-vet.

How is Lark this morning?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Checking in here, too -- hope she is much better this morning!

Some dogs take longer to recover from anaesthesia than others.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greyers

Checking in here, too -- hope she is much better this morning!

Some dogs take longer to recover from anaesthesia than others.

So true! I had one greyhound who tolerated it so poorly and it was always a huge ordeal when we went through the dentals. Yet all the others have been just fine. Fingers crossed your night was calm.

Hoping she's more awake this morning! Like others have stated, I have had some that staggered around like drunken sailors after dentals but seemed to be back to normal after a good night sleep. Not sure how the Tramadol may affect her sleepiness/wobbling.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest karma98104

She's just fine this morning, she's not entirely back to normal but I'm guessing that's the tramadol. But... she's hungry! She ate breakfast, and actual dog food, not people food, for the first time in months! I guess her teeth were really hurting her. Once we determined she had kidney failure we stopped looking for other reasons for her lack of appetite. The poor little thing must have been in quite a lot of pain :(

Now to fatten her up.. :)

I really really appreciate that the Greytalk peeps are always there when I need them- THANK YOU!