Summit Has Pannus

krissy

Gah. So I saw the ophthomologist walking down the hall today and Summit happened to be in to give blood for a hemostasis study so I asked him to take a look at Summit. He had what we had thought were lipid deposits on his cornea, but he hadn't had a full ophtho exam done. Well, lo and behold it turns out he has pannus. FML. Summit, I told you no expensive diseases until AFTER I graduate vet school. 6 months is close, but not graduated yet. lol. Anyway, I already have Doggles on order for him because I noticed from ultimate tournaments that he gets really squinty after being in the sun. Also I had noticed that his pupils don't constrict quite the way I would expect. So it's topical steroids for the rest of his life at $50 a tube. It's a good thing he's the greatest dog on earth. ;):wub:

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Swifthounds

Sorry for you and Summit, but at least it's something treatable and not seriously life limiting. I would see about getting meds elsewhere, though. I don't know anyone paying that much. :grouphug

Guest KennelMom

Hopefully his pannus is easily controlled. Our pannus boy only needed drops every other day for years to control it. He did need them every day towards the end of his life.

RE: his pupils not constricting - Just throwing this out there since you mentioned it...I noticed in his pedigree that he has Greys Statesman as a grandsire. I know of one direct descendant of Greys Statesman that had Progressive Retinal Atrophy, so he must have been a carrier. One of the signs of that is pupils not constricting. We have a PRA dog (direct Molotov offspring), so I'm always hyperaware of eye issues in offspring of known carriers.

Edited by KennelMom

I know almost nothing about pannus. Just wanted to say I am very sorry Summit has it. Sounds like its a PITA but usually manageable. Seems you have caught this relatively early. Well, at least soon you can write his scripts & get meds close to or at cost.

Good luck with his treatment. We NEED pics of Summit in his doggles. :)

Thanks guys. I know it's not the end of the world and luckily his is very mild. I guarantee this has been going on for over a year though. I had noticed his eyes were a little cloudy when we adopted him. I had the ophthomologist look at him quickly this past spring, but it was in the lecture hall with dim lights and no ophthalmoscope. So it was suggested that it was probably just lipid deposits. However, now once we get the light and magnification on it you can see the little blood vessels. It is very minor thankfully, so hopefully with Doggles and treatment it will not become worse. I'm thankful for that.

Re: Retinal atrophy. Fortunately his retina looks A-OK! :) But I will keep that in mind about the pedigree should anything happen in the future.

The Doggles probably won't be here for another month or so. I hope he'll tolerate them. He's pretty tolerant and I think I can train him to accept them, but we'll see. I ordered the camo ones. :lol

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Not to hijack or anything, but I just lost a son of Greys Statesman, who didn't have any eye issues. Does PRA occur all the time, or is it just a genetic percentage of the offspring? This is very interesting! Anyway, I think Summit will look classy in Doggles. Cool as a moose, even!

Guest KennelMom

That's great news about his retinas! :yay At his age, I'm sure you'd be able to see some changes in them by now.

oldrunners - PRA is recessive, so both parents would have to be carriers and both parents would have to give that recessive gene to the offspring....so it's far from any guarantee that offspring of a carrier would develop the disease.

Damn eh? Suma, then Bella and now Summit! At least thats 3, no more :) Does he have to wear them when he's outside in bright light?

Yeah, he'll have to wear them if he's outside for extended periods of time. Definitely when he comes to ultimate with me, and if we go for day long hikes and stuff.

Will bring him back next week when ophtho is on clinics to get a script for his steroids and so the other people in my class can see a case of pannus because apparently they talk about pannus a lot but almost never have a case in to show the students.

Like us on Facebook!