Good Weight?

Guest BlackandTan

Guest GreyGary91806

What is a healthy weight for a male. I dont want my boy to get to much weight on him. When we went to the vet about a month ago he was 84 lbs... :withstupid

What is a healthy weight for a male.

It does depend on a lot of things.

I try to keep my guys within 5 lbs of their race weight.

Gary's highest race weight was 76 lbs.

There's no one answer, because greyhounds vary so much in height and body type. My Doc would weigh in at around that - he's a big tall fellow, but rangy in build.

If you know your dog's racing name, you can probably find out his racing weight via Greyhound-Data. That will give you a starting point.

Some owners on here feel a dog should add a few pounds to its racing weight in retirement, some not. (Doc has stayed at his.) You certainly don't want them to overdo it, their frames are not designed to carry too much weight!

I would go by the look of the dog as much as actual weight - does yours still have a good 'tuck'? Can you see the last 2 or 3 ribs, and the tops of his hip-bones? Does he have a nice 'condition line' along his side?

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Too many variables for there to be one set answer. Racing weight really does not factor in IMHO.

For example; I have one male who raced at 72 pounds. Now, as a pet, he weighs about 75 pounds and looks good. He is a very muscular hound with a powerful build.

I have another male who raced quite successfully at about 76 pounds. He weighs 82 pounds now and would be o.k. with another 2 or 3 pounds. He raced very lean. There was no arguing with the success he was having at that weight so he stayed there. Now, as a pet, he looks great in the mid 80 pound range. He is tall and lanky.

For comparison, I also have a tiny little female who raced at about 57 pounds. Now, as a 7 year old pet, she weighs around 62 pounds. She just looks at food and she gains weight. No point in starving her to keep her at "race" weight. She is not a racer any longer. I keep her as trim as possible, but within reason.

All of my dogs get a lot of exercise. Muscle weighs more than fat and all three are quite fit. If your

hound looks good (not soft or fat) and feels good that is really all he needs to be.

Guest GreyGary91806

Ill tell you what I will take a side profile picture of him tonight and put it on here.. I dont know if that will help but maybe it will.

Was going to ask if you'd post a pic. :) That would be helpful!

I don't know your vet, but I've seen some call really fat greyhounds healthy, and healthy greyhounds too skinny. It's a lot healthier for a greyhound to be a little on the skinny side than a little on the fat side.

Edited by Brindles

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

He's Atascocita Gary, right? If so, his racing weight is listed at 76lbs. Judging by that alone, he's overweight. He doesn't look fat in the pictures but you can tell he's carrying some extra weight. If it were my dog, I'd cut him back to 80 lbs and see how he looks there. Just my two cents. :)

Did Gary have any injuries on the track? His last race says he trailed.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest GreyGary91806

Yes he is Atascocita Gary!! I dont know if he injured himself on that race but his back foot looks like he may have broke it at some point. Poor guy, is there a way to find out that kind of info?

Your adoption group might know, but if they don't, they might be able to talk to the owner or trainer. I asked because in the case of old injuries, it's often better to keep them a tad lighter to avoid re-aggravation.

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg

I'd take about 5lbs. off of him as Rachel suggested. I have one who has hind end weakness that I keep right around his racing weight. Any more and he has trouble walking.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest sweetpea

I think when they start to look a little too smooth, as in, no hip points, no riblets visible,

they're probably a little heavy.

Barring any illness, it's not hard to take weight off a dog, you control the food after all.

I would just make sure that whatever portion of dog food you choose, stick to that for a while.

(Like no over-loading the scoop, no treatsies, no bites of your sandwich. Cause you know, if

he's getting a snack from you, he's getting a snack from everyone in the house :lol )

Good luck!

Buzzy

p.s. We had a load of Atascocita dogs come to our group last month, what a bunch of sweeties!

Guest GreyGary91806

Yah i am going to cut down on his portion size to 1.5 cups am and pm and less treats.. Its so hard to turn down those eyes when they look at you. I always wondered what the Velcro Dog term meant... Now I know!! I wouldnt have it any other way though..

were any of the Atosita's 5 yrs old?

Guest KennelMom

Was going to ask if you'd post a pic. :) That would be helpful!

I don't know your vet, but I've seen some call really fat greyhounds healthy, and healthy greyhounds too skinny. It's a lot healthier for a greyhound to be a little on the skinny side than a little on the fat side.

Nodding vigorously.

A good pic would help...hard to tell from what you posted. I don't go by a weight on the scale for my dogs or for me. It really tells you very little useful info unless there is a significant change in weight.

Most of our dogs are actually at or under their race weight if you go by the scale.

Edited by KennelMom

I was just perusing the post and thought I would share a funny story - when I clicked on the pictures and one said video, I clicked on that one also. My new boy (just rescued 3 weeks ago) was sleeping next to my chair. When he heard the rooing, he jumped up and ran from the room to look for the greyhound that was making all that noise! It was so cute, he just kept going in all the rooms while the rooing was going on. :colgate

My guy is 72 pounds and very lean, but just recently off the track. His ribs are showing, as well as his back pin bones. He could probably use another pound or two and still look slim.