"dog Gone Pain"

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

I searched but couldn't find any previous threads that discuss a supplement called "Dog Gone Pain" (DGP). It suppose to be good for helping to ease some aches and pains due to arthritis, etc. I believe it was even mentioned in the whole dog journal. When we still thought Jimmy James had worsening arthritis (vs the osteosarcoma he truly had), I had bought a bottle or two to try with him in addition to his regular rimadyl and glucosamine mix. But we never had the chance to try it for more than a few days.

with Rego's arthritis pain I thought I would try it with him. Wondering if anyone on here has used it and had either good or bad results. Here is the link.

http://www.dgpforpets.com/

My vet had recommended it for my dog. I declined to use it because the ingredients listed included shark cartilage. (It's a personal, ethical decision concerning declining numbers of sharks.) Interestingly the first active ingredient is no longer listed as shark cartilage but instead says "Marine Collagen Extract". Sorry, you weren't asking about that. Anyway, my vet at the time felt it was a beneficial supplement. No one I know first hand has tried it so I can't give any feedback on that.

Guest greyers

Thank you!

Interesting that the vet recommended it. I have a couple bottles so i will try it and see. I totally get the feeling of the shark cartilage. I had JJ on a joint liquid that was amazing years ago, but when I realized it had shark cartilage in it I switched. The other wasn't near as good. I wonder what the marine extract is... same thing different names perhaps?

thank you again

I had a friend who used this for her lurcher and the difference in the dog was astounding. The dog went from walking stiffly at her side at a dog park to running and playing like a puppy. Even her dogs coat seemed to change from stiff and bristly to soft and downy with this supplement. Based on what I saw with my own eyes I would say that DGP certainly couldn't hurt and very likely could help.

Guest greyers

Thank you so much for that info! I read a lot of reviews about it and people said it made a HUGE difference in their old arthritic dog. If I found it earlier I would have given it to JJ long ago as we tried to keep him off the rimadyl (and were mostly successful) for many years. I'm always Leary of new things but it sounds like it had been written up in the whole dog journal. What's hard to know with greyhounds is JUST how much it's helping. By the time they are limping from problems many of them have already been in pain a long time. Rego currently is nit limping and is on rimadyl PRN. But if I can find something that might keep him off it I would love that. It's a tad pricey. Amazon seems to have the best price, but a greyhound has to have 3 a day, so it doesn't go far.

Guest BleuDog

I've never trid the DGP......but I have been using the Yucca Extract that is sold by Claudia at the www.greyhoundgang.org site. I, also, was able to keep a Lab off NSAIDS for 1 1/2 years by using a product called DURALACTIN......which is a Dried Milk Protein that inhibits the WBCs from participating in the inflamation process. My Holistic Vet and Accupuncturist put her on it.....non-perscription and can be used with ALL other drugs......I later started to use the Horse Granules of the DURALACTIN-----on my dogs, MYSELF, cats, horses----It Works!!!!! I order it from www.omahavaccine.com.

Good Luck!!!!!

Guest greyers

Bluedog,

Thank you SO MUCH! I looked up the info and the reviews for Duralactin seem great. After I get done with these two bottles of Dog Gone Pain, I will switch and try the duralactin. The DGP ones cost me about $24 or so for 60 tablets at 3 a day needed. The Duralactin I can get the same 60 pills for $17-$20 and you only give 2 a day. So costwise they are a much better deal.

The only thing that made even the slightest bit of difference in my last dog who had severe arthritis as a result of major orthopedic surgery was Rimadyl, and later Tramadol.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest greyers

Thanks so much everyone! I think it's probably worth him being on then, though I'm not sure if I should keep him on it if he doesn't show any symptoms. I KNOW he has arthritis and probably pain from a couple injuries in previous home. The last vets office had him on rimadyl PRN, but if I can keep him from having to use any of it then that's a good thing. I also suppose it's probably worth keeping him on this or some sort of yucca type product even if he isn't exhibiting pain since at least they are more natural alternatives.