Cold Floors?

Guest amazing_gracie

Guest amazing_gracie

Hi everyone. My hubby and I have had our Gracie for almost a year. A week or two after we brought her home, she developed a phobia of the hardwood floors and would practically sob if asked to walk on them. :( Odd, because from the first day until that point, she was walking on them just fine, following me around. We hadn't seen her slip, so we guessed she must've slipped or something when we weren't around. We live in an apartment that has hardwood floors throughout, with a few area rugs. She had to be able to get around on her own! So, with high value treats, rubber doggie booties and lots of patience, we helped her get over her fear. At first, she'd only walk from rug to rug when asked. Eventually we got her to the point where she walks around as she pleases, without booties or treats! :D

Now that autumn is here again, though, and it's gotten chilly, we're starting to have issues with the floor again! Could it be that the cold hardwood freaks her out or something? Any ideas, suggestions, comments are welcome. Thanks!

Edited by amazing_gracie

Not sure if it is the cold or not. My girl has to have rugs down and wouldn't even consider going through the kitchen for 6 months because I don't have a rug in there. Now she tippie toes through there stiff legged with her back arched and then dashes straight for a bed blink.gif Some days she won't even consider attempting it - she just seems to have some days that she is braver than others. I sometimes wonder if she doesn't play it up a teeny bit for the audience lol.gif Funny how it never bothers her to cruise through Home Depot on cement floors.

Somebody mentioned that keeping the toenails short will minimize the slippage so I try to keep them trimmed close. Good luck, I know how exasperating it can be!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest greysmitten

Hi, I just posted a similar thread and helpful GTers helped come up with these possible reasons:

1) She did, indeed, slip at some point.

2) The change in weather (ie. rain) makes traction more spotty.

3) Your rug/furniture layout has changed.

4) Her nails need a trimming!

Hope this helps :)

-m.

Guest amazing_gracie

I sometimes wonder if she doesn't play it up a teeny bit for the audience lol.gif

Somebody mentioned that keeping the toenails short will minimize the slippage so I try to keep them trimmed close. Good luck, I know how exasperating it can be!

Haha my girl is a bit of a drama queen as well. I do the same with her nails. I think her getting herself worked up makes her slip more than anything. She tenses up and curls her toes downward (I guess instinctively trying to gain traction), and then slips. But she was great all spring and summer. That's what makes me wonder if it's the cold. Weird.

Guest amazing_gracie

Hi, I just posted a similar thread and helpful GTers helped come up with these possible reasons:

1) She did, indeed, slip at some point.

2) The change in weather (ie. rain) makes traction more spotty.

3) Your rug/furniture layout has changed.

4) Her nails need a trimming!

Hope this helps :)

-m.

Thank you! Our rugs & furniture haven't changed. We're almost positive she had a bad slip when we weren't around and that's what started this behavior. I didn't think of the rain factor - it has been pretty rainy here lately. I will check on her nails again tomorrow.

Thanks!

Guest BrindleBoy

I find it interesting reading about the "slippery floors" problems, which appear to be quite common... Indy not only slips & slides across our hardwood floor, he actually runs into walls & doors because he can't stop! It's hilarious to watch, and doesn't seem to affect him at all. His nails are slowly destroying our floors, but they need to be refinished anyway :colgate

Guest amazing_gracie

I find it interesting reading about the "slippery floors" problems, which appear to be quite common... Indy not only slips & slides across our hardwood floor, he actually runs into walls & doors because he can't stop! It's hilarious to watch, and doesn't seem to affect him at all. His nails are slowly destroying our floors, but they need to be refinished anyway :colgate

Does he seem afraid or freaked out about the slipping? My girl freaks out big time when she slips and that makes her slip even more! Then she cries when asked to walk on the wood floor. We make sure to stay calm and act as if this is no big deal; we don't comfort her when she slips (although I do feel bad!) but she gets really upset! But from spring until now, no problem! She still was cautious on the wood floors, but she'd walk on them without being asked and move around as she pleased. Just this past week (which has been cold and rainy) she's back to crying, balking, and slipping.

On a side note: If anything frightens her while she's on the wood floor, (an object falls, etc) we make sure to "do-over" with a treat and calm demeanor, to reinforce that the floor is not scary.

It would probably be easier for all if you just put down more rugs.

"She has to be able to get around on her own" indeed, and if she were my dog, I'd make it easier for her! There are lots of nice rugs out there. Overstock.com has awesome prices too.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She may have slipped again recently, setting her off again. Our Spinner periodically develops an extreme fear of going up the (carpeted) stairs. Sometimes we can trace it directly to an incident when he stumbled. We've had to resort to Clomipramine short-term to help him over this fear. In between fearful periods, he does fine on the stairs.

I, too, vote for rugs. Our new tripod Labrador came to us with a fear of any uncarpeted floor, so we simply bought rubber-backed carpet runners from Target and Walmart and made a trail through the uncarpeted dining room and kitchen for her. Problem solved.

Edited to add that our senior hounds tend to have a hard time walking on the hard floor--they often end up doing the splits and screaming--so we already had a few carpet runners in strategic places for them (hence the runners from 2 different stores). With that in mind, the day may come when for safety reasons as she ages, your pup may *need* carpet runners. There are some attractive ones out there.

Edited by SusanP

Did you read the "Sudden Fear" thread posted recently in this forum on the same issue? The fear of hard floors improved with trimmed nails. Worth a try!

Guest amazing_gracie

It would probably be easier for all if you just put down more rugs.

"She has to be able to get around on her own" indeed, and if she were my dog, I'd make it easier for her! There are lots of nice rugs out there. Overstock.com has awesome prices too.

I would gladly carpet the whole apartment for her but she also often comes with us when we visit family and friends, most of whom do not have carpets. And pet supply stores have slippery floors too. I want her to be able to get around in those places as well.

It just seems strange that temperature could make such a big difference. This past June she stayed at my parents home, where there are no carpets or area rugs at all, for a week while we were on vacation and had no problems with all that wood flooring.

Edited by amazing_gracie

Guest amazing_gracie

Did you read the "Sudden Fear" thread posted recently in this forum on the same issue? The fear of hard floors improved with trimmed nails. Worth a try!

I will read it. I keep up on her nails pretty well and trim often.

Could the little hairs between her toes make her slip? Or maybe arthritis that hasn't been diagnosed yet? I have no knowledge of any racing injuries she may have had. Does anyone know if there's a way to find her medical history?

Guest BrindleBoy

Does he seem afraid or freaked out about the slipping?

Not at all. Doesn't seem to phase him. Occasionally he'll let out a little "yip!" because he hits the corner of the table, but it doesn't stop him from slipping around the next time!

Guest BrindleBoy

As far as rugs go, be careful... if you have "looped" pile, the claws will destroy them. Pulls the loops right out. Our area rug in the living room is getting slowly destroyed. We are currently looking for a replacement that has CUT pile.... hoping since it's not looped pile, his claws won't catch. Our wall-to-wall carpet downstairs is cut pile, and his claws don't seem to affect it at all. (and I'm talking about when he's playing/jumping, not just walking around).

As far as rugs go, be careful... if you have "looped" pile, the claws will destroy them. Pulls the loops right out. Our area rug in the living room is getting slowly destroyed. We are currently looking for a replacement that has CUT pile.... hoping since it's not looped pile, his claws won't catch. Our wall-to-wall carpet downstairs is cut pile, and his claws don't seem to affect it at all. (and I'm talking about when he's playing/jumping, not just walking around).

Yup, my house came with wall to wall Berber carpeting which did great until three months after I bought the house and brought home the greyhound. Not only did the loops get pulled but one of her nails got stuck and she had a sore paw for a while. That spring the carpet got torn out everywhere except the bedroom which is mostly covered with dog beds. You really want either an indoor-outdoor carpet, plush or no carpet. One of my girls actually makes a game out of running and sliding on the laminate floor :lol

Guest amazing_gracie

One of my girls actually makes a game out of running and sliding on the laminate floor :lol

I wish my girl made a game of it. It's been a bad day today with the floor situation. Crying, slipping, complete refusal to walk on the hardwood, a sort of panic attack (panting, shaking, cowering for about 10 minutes). All this from a dog that last week was just fine on the hardwood floor. I had to put rubber booties on her paws just to get her to the bedroom this evening. It has been very stressful for both of us. If this goes the way last winter went, I won't be able to take her to Petsmart because she'll freak out on their floors too. Why such a drastic regression?? :(

Edited to add that I trimmed her nails today and it made no difference at all. She curls her toes downward as soon as she steps off the rug and makes herself slip.

Edited by amazing_gracie

Guest IrskasMom

To get some more Rugs is cheaper then to fix a broken Leg. With Rubberbacking of course.My Boy lost his Footing in Petsmart on their polished Floor and he will not go in there again. ;););)

Would something like this help?Shaw's Paw Wax That's a UK supplier but no doubt there are similar things available in the States.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Would something like this help?Shaw's Paw Wax That's a UK supplier but no doubt there are similar things available in the States.

The description for this reads similar to Musher's Secret, which I've purchased for Annie Bella's paws because we use a lot of rock salt in this area. I've read, though, that Musher's Secret can stain carpeting if it's not totally absorbed/rubbed in. I haven't used it yet so I don't know.

A Greyhound slipping on a hard floor can be very dangerous. A serious fall... a broken hip, etc. can lead to outrageous vet bills $$$$, if not worse. Please consider doing whatever you can to place rubber-backed runner rugs down throughout the hound's most frequented pathways and rooms. If you can't find suitable already rubber-backed runner rugs, you can buy regular cheap runner rugs and buy separate rug grips ($2. or $3.) to place underneath the rugs.

In a pinch, placing old rubber-backed bath mats down will help. (Possibly borrow some if you don't have extras.) This is a safety issue, and hounds that have such a dramatic change in behavior often do so after a painful fall. This is not something to expect to "teach" a newly fearful hound to overcome. That comfort level will take some time after your hound feels safe walking on rugs in her own home.

Her new behavior sounds like she has a strong underlying reason for her reaction. She's trying to communicate with you. In case your hound did happen to experience a fall on the hard floor, please physically examine her body to ensure she's not in pain from a new injury. Check for heat, swelling, etc. BTW, If a hound falls by accident I don't see any reason not to comfort them. They aren't like human children in that regard. It's an accident and they don't do things like that on purpose for attention.

We could help look up her racing information if we knew her racing name, but that probably wouldn't help much re: her floor reaction. Learning medical history is pretty rare in retired racer Greyhound adoption. Dogs having problems after a fall on hard surface floors is extremely common, especially with Greyhounds. Barring snow and ice, I doubt temperature has anything to do with your hound's indoor floor fear reaction. Slippery wet paws/floor could be a factor.

I can understand your rubber bootie hassle. Having been through the hardwood floor issue with our hounds and foster hounds, I imagine you will all be much happier with cheap runner rugs. Good luck. :)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest BrindleBoy

To get some more Rugs is cheaper then to fix a broken Leg. With Rubberbacking of course.

On my smaller area rugs, like runners & welcome mats, the rubber backing helps not at all. He goes so fast & hits those rugs so hard, he moves them & bunches them up anyways. I'd have to get the carpet tape that actually STICKS the carpet to the floor, but I have done that in the past, and don't like that stuff... the sticky residue is very difficult to get off the floor, should you want to.

Guest amazing_gracie

Update: This morning my hubby called her from the bedroom to the living room (that walk is all hardwood, and that's our issue). She walked all the way without slipping once. Totally fine. She confined herself to the living room rug the whole day, but just now, on a hunch, I asked hubby to call her to the bedroom, where she sleeps. A little whine of protest, then walked to the bedroom without slipping at all.

This narrows it down for me. In addition to the fact that she obviously has an issue with the floor being cold (NO slipping at all for the entire spring/summer), she is extremely dramatic. If we ask ger to do something she doesn't want to do, we always get "backtalk" before or after she obeys. Her paw slips a little, and it's "THE SKY IS FALLING!!" kind of catastrophe. Then she really slips because she freaked herself out. Her nails are nice and short, there is no new furniture or rearranging of anything in the apartment. She has been calmly walking on all different floor surfaces for months until this. The ONLY difference here is temperature.

Now the part that baffles me is this: usually she obeys me before hubby. I'm the authority figure to her. So why, in this instance, is she throwing a tantrum for me but calmly obeying hubby???

Guest BrindleBoy

Interestingly, when I tell Indy to get down off the couch, I say it in a tone that is not angry or stern, but almost a "warning" tone... like "dooowwwn......." (OR ELSE!) I don't even raise my voice. He gets down no problem. My wife, however, has to use a more "standard" stern "down!" to get him to listen. If she doesn't raise her voice at least a little, he won't listen to her.

Guest amazing_gracie

Interestingly, when I tell Indy to get down off the couch, I say it in a tone that is not angry or stern, but almost a "warning" tone... like "dooowwwn......." (OR ELSE!) I don't even raise my voice. He gets down no problem. My wife, however, has to use a more "standard" stern "down!" to get him to listen. If she doesn't raise her voice at least a little, he won't listen to her.

That's interesting. Could it be a gender thing? Seems like your boy obeys you but gives the wife a harder time and our girl obeys me (usually) but gives the hubby a harder time. But with this floor issue it seems to be reversed.

On a happy note, this morning I asked Gracie to walk from the bedroom to the living room so I could take her outside for a walk. She very cautiously made her way across the floor with no slipping. I gave her lots of verbal encouragement as she walked over the hardwood and had a "praise party" once she made it to the living room. I hope we can keep this up!

Guest amazing_gracie

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!! Gracie is back to walking freely over the hardwood (a bit cautious, but not slipping at all), so I'm a bit baffled as to what brought on the behavior. It has been a bit warmer the last few days, so who knows?? :o But if this crops up again, I guess I'll be rearranging the rugs so she has a carpeted path to walk...

Edited by amazing_gracie